Intel to Launch 18-Core/36-Thread "Core i9-7980XE" Skylake-X CPU

HKZeroFive
3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

If AMD brought us dual socket Ryzen people would go mental, like in the old dual FX days.

It was such a beauty back in the day!

In a dream world, I'd be able to run a 4c/8t part and an 18c/36t part on the same board and switch between them as needed.  Hell while I'm at it, I'd be able to use both simultaneously.  Could you imagine that trace routing.  Might as well throw in some switches so I can disable CPUs too.  lol

On 5/29/2017 at 8:46 AM, Princess Cadence said:

I don't get why is Intel retiring the k and copying AMD's x.... and this xe? this way here in a couple of years we'll have Intel Core i11 9875XEK 2.0

Technology companies SUCKS so fucking much at name scheming it is not even fun.

But what about the Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Ultra/750-8X XP 128MB Golden Sample FireWire? It's legit a thing. Well, was.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

In an enthusiast system, power consumption is irrelevant. (if performance is there lol xD). If Ryzen performed better and drew more power, no enthusiast would really care.

And I've never cared about power draw, couldn't give a damn. Get a better cooler and enjoy the performance, not like that is hard to do particularly now days with AIO water cooling.

Just now, done12many2 said:

In a dream world, I'd be able to run a 4c/8t part and an 18c/36t part on the same board and switch between them as needed.  Hell while I'm at it, I'd be able to use both simultaneously.  Could you imagine that trace routing.  Might as well through in some switches so I can disable CPUs too.  lol

The switching and tracing would be a nightmare, but my goodness I'd do the exact same!

Who needs a "stream machine" then, or a separate render and encode system.

One day mayhaps.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

In an enthusiast system, power consumption is irrelevant. (if performance is there lol xD). If Ryzen performed better than Intel and drew more power, no enthusiast would really care.

Once again, i'm not arguing. I agree whole heartedly. But its been a sore spot for AMD fans (including myself) for years as one of the arguments that come up against AMD consistently for the past 5 damn years is "LOL ULL SPEND SO MUCH EXTRA ON POWER AND AIR CONDITIONING AMIRITE BOIS??????" and now that the shoes on the other foot nobody seems to bringing up that argument. #shockingnotshocking

EDIT: and if anyone had bothered to go through my post history (lol as if anyone cares), my argument has always been that on a wide scale enthusiasts just want performance and dont give a damn about the power consumption. I've always been in the camp of "if it gives me more performance then keep pumping it full of juice"

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Just now, Brainless906 said:

Once again, i'm not arguing. I agree whole heartedly. But its been a sore spot for AMD fans (including myself) for years as one of the arguments that come up against AMD consistently for the past 5 damn years is "LOL ULL SPEND SO MUCH EXTRA ON POWER AND AIR CONDITIONING AMIRITE BOIS??????" and now that the shoes on the other foot nobody seems to bringing up that argument. #shockingnotshocking

You missed this part:

In an enthusiast system, power consumption is irrelevant. (if performance is there lol xD). If Ryzen performed better than Intel and drew more power, no enthusiast would really care.

No one is bringing up that argument because these CPUs offer amazing performance, FX's performance was mediocre at best

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, leadeater said:

And I've never cared about power draw, couldn't give a damn. Get a better cooler and enjoy the performance, not like that is hard to do particularly now days with AIO water cooling.

That's how I know you're a power hungry enthusiast.  We tend to look at TDPs (which tell us nothing for comparison sake) from a whole different angle.  

At the end of the day, guys like us don't care about the fluff and buff.  We want to know what the end result is when used in the capacity that we'll run it.  

1 minute ago, Brainless906 said:

It's because the difference under load between the two is no longer drastic.  It's just about the same, so the shoe really isn't on the other foot so to speak.  They're just the same now.  

With that said, nobody can argue that AMD hasn't done a great job because they have and I for one appreciate it.  They've gotten so close that Intel is changing their ways.  That matters a lot!

11 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You missed this part:

No one is bringing up that argument because these CPUs offer amazing performance, FX's performance was mediocre at best

waaaaaaaaaaaaat.....noooooooo....fx was....awesome....truly amazing.

/s

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

oh god these CPUs are going to be HOT!

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

oh god these CPUs are going to be HOT!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is intel not AMD. We dont talk about heat here. Plust think of all the savings on heating bills. Its more of a boon really.

4 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is intel not AMD. We dont talk about heat here. Plust think of all the savings on heating bills. Its more of a boon really.

Keep hating on Skylake-X bud, good luck.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Keep hating on Skylake-X bud, good luck.

The man with the intel logo for a Display pic is taking this far to seriously it seems. Calm down buddy, its all good.

Just now, Brainless906 said:

The man with the intel logo for a Display pic is taking this far to seriously it seems. Calm down buddy, its all good.

Meanwhile, the guy running a 4690k is getting all worked up about Intel's Extreme enthusiast platform.  xD

Profile pics don't mean jack shit

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Meanwhile, the guy running a 4690k is getting all worked up about Intel's Extreme enthusiast platform.  xD

That was low :/

Let sub-peasantry dream too :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

18-25% increase in IPC and higher clock speeds :D

9.8% actually :P Also at least you won't need to turn your heating on in the winter. RIP in the summer... If you need to replace the TIM for whatever reason I can send you some Hubba Bubba I think that's what intel use to stick the IHS down.

Seriously though not soldering these. What. The. Fuck.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Ikr :/ I bet that they did this to save costs so that they can be (somewhat) competitive with AMD.... But they really should have soldered them, the die is large enough

Once again, i'm not getting worked up. I honestly think its funny and once again, my post history can prove that i've vehemently argued against the idea that any enthusiast would actually give a shit about stuff like this in the past.

Stop getting your damn panties in a knot yo.

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

That was low :/

Let sub-peasantry dream too :P

Ouch my pride? i guess? I feel like it was a personal attack but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt, lol.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

9.8% actually :P Also at least you won't need to turn your heating on in the winter. RIP in the summer... If you need to replace the TIM for whatever reason I can send you some Hubba Bubba I think that's what intel use to stick the IHS down.

Good point.  When that AVX 512 gets fired up, things are definitely going to get warm.  AMD doesn't have that problem or option.  They've limited the choice of running AVX for us.  :D

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

I don't know about that either, but I'll be glad to use LM this go around.  There were slight gains in delidding soldered HWE and BWE chips and I'll take any gain I can with these hot suckers.  

Once again, i'm not getting worked up. I honestly think its funny and once again, my post history can prove that i've vehemently argued against the idea that any enthusiast would actually give a shit about stuff like this in the past.

So why do you keep bringing up the same argument all the time?

15 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Cooling is legit going to be a problem here. The 18c model is going to really hot and really hard to cool because they didn't solder it. Just typical Intel. I hoped that Intel would wake up once they saw that ryzen was soldered, but nope.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Stop getting your damn panties in a knot yo.

Says that guy who continues to reply.  Practice what you're trying to preach bud.  Yo!

I doubt that you're actually going to upgrade to Threadripper or Skylake-X yo.  I just think you feel like complaining (something you do a great deal of in other threads), which is absolutely within your right, yo!

Either way, the chips are going to be hot and that's a fact.  I for one don't care and I will cool them accordingly.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Good point.  When that AVX 512 gets fired up, things are definitely going to get warm.  AMD doesn't have that problem or option.  They've limited the choice of running AVX for us.  :D

The mighty 1800X fails to outperform a (wait for it) 3930K when using AVX xD

Either way, the chips are going to be hot

Both literally and figuratively xD