Intel to Launch 18-Core/36-Thread "Core i9-7980XE" Skylake-X CPU

HKZeroFive
6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It must pain you to turn your PC on everyday. xD

Put a thumbtack on the power button. "I sacrifice blood to use Intel daily".

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

and this is why i don't like intel

Just now, TOMPPIX said:

i never said i hated intel.

Am I talking to two different versions of you?  

Don't like vs hate.  Either apply to my original comment, which was "It must pain you to turn your PC on everyday. xD"

I was having fun man.  If there's a 3rd version of you, let him have the keyboard.  He might be more fun.  xD

Everyone is talking about cores and competition and I'm just sitting here wondering how in the hell you would cool these chips, how much wattage they'll suck up and if you'll need a small loan of one million dollars to buy the chip alone....

I mean don't get me wrong its cool and all but if you were to get a chip like this wouldn't you be building a server anyways with a xeon?

1 minute ago, LordTaco42 said:

Everyone is talking about cores and competition and I'm just sitting here wondering how in the hell you would cool these chips, how much wattage they'll suck up and if you'll need a small loan of one million dollars to buy the chip alone....

I mean don't get me wrong its cool and all but if you were to get a chip like this wouldn't you be building a server anyways with a xeon?

I've got cooling covered.  I just want the parts that provide the performance now.  :D

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I've got cooling covered.  I just want the parts that provide the performance now.  :D

So out of curiosity what cooling are you using?  Custom loop?

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

One can like the product while disliking the company.  I sometimes feel the same way about Coca-Cola.

So does it bother you to drink a Coke knowing how you feel about the company?

Say Coca-Cola was running a sweat shop to make the bottles that your Coke ships in, would you still drink the Coke because you like the taste, but hate what the Company is doing?

Just now, LordTaco42 said:

So out of curiosity what cooling are you using?  Custom loop?

Yes sir.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are using a Noctua NH-D15.  Am I right?  :D

Why worry about over clocking? Intel is going to sell unlocked sku's then tell you not to over clock, again.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yes sir.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are using a Noctua NH-D15.  Am I right?  :D

Yep!  I actually have a H115i sitting by from my old rig but I wanted to try the Noctua air cooler and I love it.   

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So does it bother you to drink a Coke knowing how you feel about the company?

Say Coca-Cola was running a sweat shop to make the bottles that your Coke ships in, would you still drink the Coke because you like the taste, but hate what the Company is doing?

people dislike Comcast but still use their service because there is no better alternative. do you understand now?

Just now, DoctorWho1975 said:

Why worry about over clocking? Intel is going to sell unlocked sku's then tell you not to over clock, again.

Proof in how sensationalized the internet can get.  One service rep made that comment and it has been echoed in every corner of the internet.  Intel hasn't officially changed its stance on anything.  They've never officially endorsed overclocking, but they sure do take care of warranty issues with those that chose to do so. 

2 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Yep!  I actually have a H115i sitting by from my old rig but I wanted to try the Noctua air cooler and I love it.   

Nice cooler for sure!

I was also having a little fun pointing out that my cooling is located in my signature as yours is.  lol  :D

Just now, done12many2 said:

Proof in how sensationalized the internet can get.  One service rep made that comment and it has been echoed in every corner of the internet.  Intel hasn't officially changed its stance on anything.  They've never officially endorsed overclocking, but they sure do take care of warranty issues with those that chose to do so. 

Nice cooler for sure!

I was also having a little fun pointing out that my cooling is located in my signature as yours is.  lol  :D

Oh haha I see that now.  Classic mix up.  I will be interested to see if this whole "core wars" thing is going to prompt new coolers to come out from Corsair, Noctua, Cooler master etc to keep up.

2 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

people dislike Comcast but still use their service because there is no better alternative. do you understand now?

So apply that logic to what I originally said to you.  Do you understand now?

Wow, that comment was definitely not worth the trouble.  If I could only go back in time and undo everything.  I'd change a lot of things.  lol

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Well in a situation where the CPU does need more cache it will make a huge difference, if it doesn't need it it wont do anything. We saw this back in the origins of dual core when AMD had the superior architecture where Intel went in with a very large unified L2 cache and eventually ended up winning out due to having good across the board performance.

Sometimes more cache is the answer and sometimes it's not.

@done12many2 @i_build_nanosuits

Boy took me ages to find this, was really annoying since I knew it existed and seen it years ago.

linpack.gif

http://techreport.com/review/9408/amd-opteron-165-and-180-processors/3

As you can see in the above graph if your task fits in L1 cache AMD at the time was extremely faster but as you can also see on the tail end in the larger matrix sizes once you exceed L2 cache AMD is left for dead, and that was much more common than things fully utilizing just L1 cache.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

@done12many2 @i_build_nanosuits

Boy took me ages to find this, was really annoying since I knew it existed and seen it years ago.

linpack.gif

http://techreport.com/review/9408/amd-opteron-165-and-180-processors/3

As you can see in the above graph if your task fits in L1 cache AMD at the time was extremely faster but as you can also see on the tail end in the larger matrix sizes once you exceed L2 cache AMD is left for dead, and that was much more common than things fully utilizing just L1 cache.

Nice find!  It definitely demonstrates the point.  

Luckily in this case, we still have the rest of the Skylake X architecture to fall back on in instances where L2 is a miss. 

On a separate note, what's that burning smell?  Nothing to worry about, I'm just cooking some silicon with a little AVX-512.  lol

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Nice find!  It definitely demonstrates the point.  

Luckily in this case, we still have the rest of the Skylake X architecture to fall back on in instances where L2 is a miss. 

On a separate note, what's that burning smell?  Nothing to worry about, I'm just cooking some silicon with a little AVX-512.  lol

Here's another interesting read, if this is your kind of thing. It is rather long.

http://www.linuxclustersinstitute.org/conferences/archive/2003/PDF/Chona_S.pdf

Brings back so many memories when AMD was the big player in servers and clustering, I never would have predicted what was to follow.

Well if Cinema 4D is your thing, Ryzen/Threadripper may be the way to go there.

In Cinebench the Ryzen 1600 seems to be better than the new 7800X. 

Looks like AMD's SMT being better again in some multithreaded loads. Will be interesting to see what the single core performance is.

Bring on the reviews!!!

1600x @ 5445 MHz - 1837
7800x @ 5700 MHz - 1874

[IMG] 
[IMG] 

4 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

1600x @ 5445 MHz - 1837
7800x @ 5700 MHz - 1874

With LN2, if you cool them with something like an AiO, I am pretty sure that Intel would win :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

With LN2, if you cool them with something like an AiO, I am pretty sure that Intel would win :D

Away with your closed loop leak machines!

Have to do the tests with a nice Noctua D15S! :D

Although Threadripper would need one of these!

fb8obad77e0z.jpg

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Here's another interesting read, if this is your kind of thing. It is rather long.

http://www.linuxclustersinstitute.org/conferences/archive/2003/PDF/Chona_S.pdf

Brings back so many memories when AMD was the big player in servers and clustering, I never would have predicted what was to follow.

Oh wow.  You're taking it back a few clicks.  I like your style.  I'll read shortly as I enjoy seeing the then and now type stuff!

12 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well if Cinema 4D is your thing, Ryzen/Threadripper may be the way to go there.

In Cinebench the Ryzen 1600 seems to be better than the new 7800X. 

Looks like AMD's SMT being better again in some multithreaded loads. Will be interesting to see what the single core performance is.

1600x @ 5445 MHz - 1837
7800x @ 5700 MHz - 1874

See the problem with using stats from extreme cooling like LN2 / DICE and the like is that they are in no way indicative of what we'll seen in performance levels on ambient.  

As an example of what I meant by this, I've yet to have an overclocked Ryzen on water beat my 2 year old 5960x in Cinebench R15 in our very own LTT Cinebench thread.  It's not due to the lack of effort, but simply because on water Ryzen will not clock any higher then it does on air.  

I just recently got a replacement 5960x from Intel, and it's even better.  Here's a 2001cb multi-core with a 200cb single-core at 4.9 GHz at 1.34v!!  :D  Cooled with water.  That single core performance, while not nearly as good as that of my overclocked 7700k, it damn impressive for a Haswell-E part.  

2001cb - 200cb.jpg

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

See the problem with using stats from extreme cooling like LN2 / DICE and the like is that they are in no way indicative of what we'll seen in performance levels on ambient.  

As an example of what I meant by this, I've yet to have an overclocked Ryzen on water beat my 2 year old 5960x in Cinebench R15 in our very own LTT Cinebench thread.  It's not due to the lack of effort, but simply because on water Ryzen will not clock any higher then it does on air.  

Oh I get that, it's just damn interesting seeing AMD on Ryzen beat intel again core for core in Cinebench in the top of overclocking, while at lower clocks.

Just frustrates me that they're so limited by GloFos 14nm process for clocks. They have some efficient chips, with decent performance; and that run cool.

All they needed to really capture enthusiasts at the high end was Overclocking. GloFo has let AMD down in GPUs and CPUs for high clock speeds. Darn shame really.

I'm looking forward to productivity/workstation reviews between Skylake X and Threadripper though. Little overclocking there, and it'll all be out of the box performance.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Oh I get that, it's just damn interesting seeing AMD on Ryzen beat intel again core for core in Cinebench in the top of overclocking, while at lower clocks.

If we take a look at single core performance, AMD would be quite a bit worse than Intel :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Just frustrates me that they're so limited by GloFos 14nm process for clocks. They have some efficient chips, with decent performance; and that run cool.

All they needed to really capture enthusiasts at the high end was Overclocking. GloFo has let AMD down in GPUs and CPUs for high clock speeds. Darn shame really.

I'm looking forward to productivity/workstation reviews between Skylake X and Threadripper though. Little overclocking there, and it'll all be out of the box performance.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

If we take a look at single core performance, AMD would be quite a bit worse than Intel :D

Which is why we need to look at that extreme cooling comparison in a month or two.  Skylake X is just now getting out there.  I doubt that the LN2 comparison that we've just seen is the final story.  Not that it matters to most of us anyways.  

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Aye,their SMT really seems to shine for multi core workloads. Such a massive clock difference.

http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cinebench_-_r15/rankings?start=0&hardwareTypeId=processor_4894&start=0#interval=20#cores=8#start=0#hardwareScope=all

909e377d9b4a496e943c16a60a50983e.png

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Oh wow.  You're taking it back a few clicks.  I like your style.  I'll read shortly as I enjoy seeing the then and now type stuff!

Well that's how long it's been since AMD actually mattered lol.