Intel to Launch 18-Core/36-Thread "Core i9-7980XE" Skylake-X CPU

HKZeroFive
1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Aye,their SMT really seems to shine for multi core workloads. Such a massive clock difference.

909e377d9b4a496e943c16a60a50983e.png

More LN2 stuff.  lol

Just now, done12many2 said:

More LN2 stuff.  lol

That's the topic we were just discussing, so yes. :)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Aye,their SMT really seems to shine for multi core workloads. Such a massive clock difference.

And who cares if AMD beats Intel with LN2 cooling? xD Most of us don't cool our CPUs with LN2

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

And who cares if AMD beats Intel with LN2 cooling? xD Most of us don't cool our CPUs with LN2

But my motherboard has an LN2 switch, if it's there then I HAVE to use it right?

How about some H2O?

38445f9c6f864d79bf0231a1b9727e88.png

18 cores with an unlocked multi xD

Intel please. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Valentyn said:

How about some H2O?

Oh, so you mean the top 0.1% of Ryzen CPUs?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Some people obviously don't realize that people do lie about cooling methods on HWBOT. Lol

Similar percentage for Intel to reach those high rankings as well sadly.

The first Broadwell -E spotted on the rankings is at 30th.

Makes me wonder how well Skylake X will do if those IPC predictions are true. Although at least delidding them looks relatively easy from that Der8auer video. Easier than even a 7700K at least.

Some people obviously don't realize that people do lie about cooling methods on HWBOT. Lol

True, it takes LN2 or DICE to get an 1800X to 4.6-4.7GHz :D

Makes me wonder how well Skylake X will do if those IPC predictions are true. Although at least delidding them looks relatively easy from that Der8auer video. Easier than even a 7700K at least.

Broadwell-E was not a great clocker at all, but anyways, we're going full circle so it's time for me to bow out. Enjoy the Skylake-X hating bud and good luck. 

Broadwell-E doesn't overclock well and if you take a look at the picture you posted you will see that 8/9 CPUs are 5960Xs so a 5GHz 5960X is more common than you think :P

38445f9c6f864d79bf0231a1b9727e88.png

True, it takes LN2 or DICE to get an 1800X to 4.6-4.7GHz :D

Just get a phase change cooler. They were all the rage during the Pentium 4 days. Should handle any CPU out there today still.

800x600px-LL-6e8b56f9_1636912599_4.jpeg

Just now, Valentyn said:

Just get a phase change cooler. They were all the rage during the Pentium 4 days. Should handle any CPU out there today still.

Or just get a 7900X and a custom loop for the same price as an 1800X with a phase change cooler?

Broadwell-E was not a great clocker at all, but anyways, we're going full circle so it's time for me to bow out. Enjoy the Skylake-X hating bud and good luck. 

Hating? I'm just cautious of everything. If I hated anything I wouldn't buy anything from the company at all.

Just can't take any IPC predictions seriously, or having to possibly rely on delidding to get the best thermals. 

I already stated the price, despite less PCIe lanes are great, but until reviews I shan't be "hyped".

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or just get a 7900X and a custom loop for the same price as an 1800X with a phase change cooler?

Nah, going to ride out my 5820K until after Skylake X before I get a new system. I could do with 2 more cores, but not for the current performance to price increases.

Although if it's somehow possible Skylake X does manage Anandtech's IPC improvement, I would be might tempted. Can't say I use more than 28 PCIe lanes, now even, so I could potentially swap.

Also go phase change for them all, never worry about temps again. :D 

Hating? I'm just cautious of everything. If I hated anything I wouldn't buy anything from the company at all.

Just can't take any IPC predictions seriously, or having to possibly rely on delidding to get the best thermals. 

I already stated the price, despite less PCIe lanes are great, but until reviews I shan't be "hyped".

Actually, you were very "hyped" in the Ryzen pre-release threads.  Your reserve only seems to apply in the Intel pre-release thread.  lol

Which is my point.  This conversion has gone full circle.  I'll just stick with getting the info I need for my upcoming purchase.  

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

That's my case minus the phase changer, but same colour. Expensive enough as it is, it's more than double the price with the phase change unit.

Oh dear, Intels parts core per core are using more power than AMD parts? I wonder where all the crusaders for "power consumption on enthusiast grade parts totally matters" will vanish to now that Intels on the power heavy side lol.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That's my case minus the phase changer, but same colour. Expensive enough as it is, it's more than double the price with the phase change unit.

It costs as much as 2x1800Xs xD

2 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

I wonder where all the crusaders for "power consumption on enthusiast grade parts totally matters" will vanish to now that Intels on the power heavy side lol.

No one ever said that actually. Lower power consumption is not bad, but maximum performance is always preferable to low power consumption (in an enthusiast system)

No one ever said that actually. Lower power consumption is not bad, but maximum performance is always preferable to low power consumption (in an enthusiast system)

Maybe not in this thread, but looking through my post history its been argued on this forum (and every other tech forum ever) over and over and over again. Its just funny.
as a once wise man once said

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It costs as much as 2x1800Xs xD

If AMD brought us dual socket Ryzen people would go mental, like in the old dual FX days.

motherboard2.jpg

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It was such a beauty back in the day!

3 minutes ago, Brainless906 said:

Maybe not in this thread, but looking through my post history its been argued on this forum (and every other tech forum ever) over and over and over again. Its just funny.

In an enthusiast system, power consumption is irrelevant. (if performance is there lol xD). If Ryzen performed better than Intel and drew more power, no enthusiast would really care.