Is this the answer from AMD on the rumoured i9 lineup?

DriesK

Large scale tech companies have to be run by an Engineer with a good sense for the business aspects of the Business.  The companies live & die by proper R&D spending, regardless of the rest of the economic or business factors.

As for what AMD is directed towards, it's really in the APUs. I saw a good discussion that their goal seems to be really splitting the Integer & FP calculations, but to pull that off requires a lot of interconnected Tech.  The main one being the Infinity Fabric.  Given Die complexity and yield concerns going forward, it's a lot better to produce a lot of smaller dies and put them together via Infinity Fabric, rather than being ruined by Die-yield issues.

Think of it this way: what would happen if you toss Four RX 580s, at a lower-clock + wattage, on the same GPU, but it acts like 1 GPU? Now think of the professional Volta GPU that Nvidia showed.  Think of how insanely massive that chip had to be.  We know we're coming to real issues with die shrinks getting really hard over the next decade.  That's what Nvidia & Intel are currently running up against and why AMD's new leadership is going to be so disruptive to matters.

And this isn't conjecture.  Ryzen is a 2 CCX unit at production level.  Threadripper will be 4 CCX. Naples 8 CCX.  This is now a robust technology and approach.  Raven Ridge will be 1 CCX + Vega cores, which might be our first production-level resource sharing APU.  (We'll see.)  It's the approach for a team that's behind but looked into the future to map out a way of getting ahead.  It's pretty fun to watch and I hope they pull it off.  Mostly because I want to see what comes next.

This approach also gets better.  It's beyond just a factory NUMA solution.  If they can add CCXs in pairs (so go from 2 to 4 to 6), once you get out to around 10, small improvements in efficiency of the fabrication process means you can drop in another pair of CCXs within your thermal limits.  This gets more important the closer we get to the physical limits for the way we produce CPUs.  And, just because we hit a final size limit doesn't mean there won't be refinements in the production process.

Also, the 1080 Ti is sitting at 12 billion transistors. We're hitting error-rates in production that really weren't thought possible for a long time.  The CCX approach is a brilliant hedge against that issue as well.  Along with all of the other benefits.

AMD came prepared to this fight? Should be good!

11 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not when Intel has 3 billion to spend on R&D. How the he'll are they supposed to make that back if customers expect reduced cost? Ludicrous.

Because most of Intel's R&D doesn't go to consumer CPU manufacturing anymore. They could cut the price in half, and their chips would still be very profitable.

Most of Intel's R&D goes to beefing up their current exclusive features (Thunderbolt being a big one), FPGA based system accelerators, 3D Xpoint, Server platforms, or incorporating innoivations from small/dying companies.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

20 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Both companies are trying to outdo each other now which is kinda childish...

Better than Intel re-releasing the 6700k with worst thermals and dumb drm for Netflix as a selling point.

12 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Not when Intel has 3 billion to spend on R&D. How the he'll are they supposed to make that back if customers expect reduced cost? Ludicrous.

because their CPUs power 99% of the HUGE server market. They made 3 billion in the last quarter alone. They can make that back no problem with lower consumer pricing.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

i9 and R9 will not exist. It's all rumours. Intel make people pay from 400-1000$ for an i7, and they won't make another series of high-end consumer CPUs.

The i7 lineup is too valuable for Intel to ruin with a brand new lineup..

2 hours ago, 1kv said:

i9 and R9 will not exist. It's all rumours. Intel make people pay from 400-1000$ for an i7, and they won't make another series of high-end consumer CPUs.

The i7 lineup is too valuable for Intel to ruin with a brand new lineup..

How would renaming the HEDT i7s to i9s "ruin" anything? If anything that would make X299 CPUs sound better. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

How would renaming the HEDT i7s to i9s "ruin" anything? If anything that would make X299 CPUs sound better. 

That's what I take from it. i7 for highend consumer, and i9 for HEDT fits fine.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Didn't know it was a rename. Sorry :P

THREADRIPPER CONFIRM

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

On 15/05/2017 at 9:21 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I don't think you quite grasp the concept of competition...

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

On 5/16/2017 at 1:10 AM, Tedny said:

if 10 core Ryzen will be less than 500$, maybe will buy it for a replacement for my  E5-2690 v2 in the workstation 

Why would a 10 core be under $500 when the current 8 core is $500?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

30 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Why would a 10 core be under $500 when the current 8 core is $500?

Very bad clocks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Very bad clocks.

I suppose, but if it's bad enough that pricing it under $500 makes sense, it'll be bad enough no one would want it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Amd, really? 1998x/1998, 1977x/1977, 1976? My brain.. It hurts. what's with those names? That's already confusing as hell. I hope these arent real lol. 

I hope AMD can bring something really competitive to the table. That's what we need. HEDT from both sides is something I've wanted for a while. 

On 5/15/2017 at 9:21 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Its good, its competition. THIS is what the cpu market has needed for about 10 years, AMD now competes across all of intel's cpus.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Wow. 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I think it would be cool if we had dual socket gaming boards for Ryzen. Probably not gonna happen. But it's smart imo.

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

I think it would be cool if we had dual socket gaming boards for Ryzen. Probably not gonna happen. But it's smart imo.

Dual socket gaming boards.....For what reason? No games can use that many cores and the latency would be a complete disaster.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Dual socket gaming boards.....For what reason? No games can use that many cores and the latency would be a complete disaster.

More so for fun, cores help with video editing

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Not in Adobe Premiere/After Effects :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not in Adobe Premiere/After Effects :D

Not premiere but other programs. 

The geek himself.

36 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

29 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Video editing and gaming are two very different things.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

Video editing and gaming are two very different things.

So are strawberries and mushrooms.

The geek himself.