Microsoft further cracks down on Kaby Lake and Ryzen usage on Windows 7 and 8.1

Nowak
4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

This little plus wasnt there AFAIK:

But its funny how they say limited support, and in reality they just outright blocked them X'D....

I'd say that's clarifying something rather than going back on their word. Going back on their word would require them to explicitly say or at least strongly imply that all hardware will always be supported as long as it's relesed within the support period. 

4 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Neither is actively harassing paid users of your product to upgrade to a new version that they don't want.

Yeah, well, one shit decision doesn't make another better.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Linux, which is becoming a viable alternative

tumblr_mb3c6aC47V1rpuwjio4_400.gif

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd say that's clarifying something rather than going back on their word.

Yeah, well, one shit decision doesn't make another better.

Its a modification after they promised full support until January 9, 2018  for 8.1 and security updates for January 14, 2020 without any restrictions on hardware. So yeah, they did gone back on their word...

@Mooshi

For the majority it is, they can use their websites, read e-mail, watch videos etc....

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Its a modification after they promised full support until January 9, 2018  for 8.1 and security updates for January 14, 2020 without any restrictions on hardware. So yeah, they did gone back on their word

I don't see how that's going back on their word. They never promised they would support hardware that doesn't exist. As far as I'm concerned they only need to support hardware that existed at the time of end of sale.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 hours ago, H0R53 said:

Wrong on more levels than you know

I have a custom kernel on my S4 geared towards battery and undervolting, it's not hard, go on XDA forums and you'll see. Android is open sauce, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it

Windows 10 has so many useless built in apps and services that are randomly running they affect performance. On a fresh install of 7, on 4gb of RAM idle at maybe 15% usage, and 0% CPU. W10, random ass spikes in disk and CPU, fans spin up unnecesarily, etc. 50% CPU, 25% ram at any given time on same system

FTFY

Again, every iteration of the Windows kernel performs slower than the last, not better. Windows XP x64 will be 50x faster than W10, hands down. Now Xp only supports DX9 max, so that's a bummer

In many ways it is, except for DX10 and DX11 support is nil. Other than that...

The point I made from the beginning

Devs are too lazy to make GUIs and then use CURL anyway

Not the point.

Doubt that

Not just Ryzen. It handles my Xeon better and dual CPUs in either AMD or Intel better

can confirm, basement pc with q9650 idles at 1% cpu usage and 700mb ram usage

windows 10 randomy spikes in cpu/ram/disk, and there are plenty of topics here that ask if this is normal 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I don't see how that's going back on their word. They never promised they would support hardware that doesn't exist. As far as I'm concerned they only need to support hardware that existed at the time of end of sale.

You still missing the point, when i said without restrictions on HW i meant that there was no provisions allowing MS to just show the middle finger and cut the support when they detect newer HW...

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

You still missing the point, when i said without restrictions on HW i meant that there was no provisions allowing MS to just show the middle finger and cut the support when they detect newer HW...

You can still install drivers and updates straight from the manufacturers.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

@Mooshi

For the majority it is, they can use their websites, read e-mail, watch videos etc....

That's what your smartphone is for. I like Linux, but it will never be a Windows replacement so long as key programs remain Windows only for some. People don't like fiddling with things that only half work and WINE can only do so much.

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

There was also nothing requiring them to support hardware. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, the licenses are tied to the motherboard, not the CPU.

On Windows 10, they're tied to the Microsoft account. All past iterations were tied to the motherboard.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

On Windows 10, they're tied to the Microsoft account. All past iterations were tied to the motherboard.

Actually, they can be tied to your account, but with a local login it will still tie to your motherboard, just as before.

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Actually, they can be tied to your account, but with a local login it will still tie to your motherboard, just as before.

remember SLIC? Most older Dells and a lot of laptops have SLIC to avoid problems when using the OEM recovery partition.

1 minute ago, H0R53 said:

remember SLIC? Most older Dells and a lot of laptops have SLIC to avoid problems when using the OEM recovery partition.

I was referring to purchased licenses, either OEM (system builder) or retail.  The larger OEM's like Dell/HP/Asus/Acer/Lenovo/et al have a different licensing scheme setup with MS.

19 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

The problem with Linux is that it's a lot less user-friendly than Windows.  Sure, you have support, better security, and so on!  However, you're lacking heavy developer support backed by having to use a terminal quite a lot for commands.  Do you really think people actually want to deal with the terminal when they can just click buttons on Windows that do the same thing?  If Linux wasn't too dependent on the terminal and had more developer support then yes more people would switch to it.

MacOS? xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

MacOS? xD 

If only macOS supported gaming, I'd hackintosh my desktop so quickly. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I really don't consider myself part of the Windows defense force seeing as I actually hate using Windows, but that also doesn't mean I agree with all the bitching towards this decision. Yes, Microsoft clearly did it for their own interests, but as far as I'm concerned, they haver every right to do so and never promised anything more. I don't see why mainstream support would include supporting hardware that wasn't even released until well after the end of sale date. 

Just so you know. I have not read this thread carefully so I was not talking about you specifically.

Anyway, Microsoft has the right to do this (I assume), but that does not make it OK, and "they are allowed to" does not mean it should be accepted.

Why would mainstream support include supporting hardware that wasn't released at launch? Because it does not require extra work from Microsoft. Microsoft actually has to work MORE to ensure that it doesn't work, than they do to make it work. It is up to the hardware manufacturers to support hardware. Microsoft should not be some kind of gatekeeper that actively tries to shut the gate to make people buy their newer OS.

That's just pure evil.

The point about W7 telemetry is that at this point most of the people complaining about W10 who are running w7/8.1 are running updated versions with full telemetry enabled. 

That is an assumption you make. Also, I haven't checked it but I doubt even a fully patched Windows 7 contains as much telemetry and other data harvesting as Windows 10 does (telemetry is far from the only data Microsoft collects).

Steam is constantly patching its client for hardware-specific issues, so Microsoft does need to actively support a processor when it writes updates, and if they're not going to be doing that then they shouldn't allow those updates out in the wild where it will only create a PR nightmare.

[Citation Needed]

I can see Steam needing to update for hardware-specific things because of in-home streaming. But that's adding new hardware-based features to their client. It is not for security updates.

Again, of course the motivation behind all of this is Windows 10. But I'd rather see them block updates then push out updates that they're not going to provide support with. 

I disagree. Since there are clearly two camps about this, how about Microsoft give users the choice?

Since they have already spent quite some time and money implementing this I doubt adding a simple dialog box would be too much effort. It would take like 10 minutes.

It would be more like Android saying they're too lazy to make Kit Kat support an SD835.

No it would not. Because the updates are already compatible with the newer processors.

What you have to realize is that the updates already work on newer processors. This is Microsoft REMOVING compatibility, not refusing to add new compatibility. Those are two extremely different things.

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

You can still install drivers and updates straight from the manufacturers.

Updates for windows? That would be a disaster(one of the drawbacks of android), BTW MS made sure that even if you download it from their website(not through WU) that wont install either...

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

That's what your smartphone is for. I like Linux, but it will never be a Windows replacement so long as key programs remain Windows only for some. People don't like fiddling with things that only half work and WINE can only do so much.

Yeah there are some use cases where windows is the only choice but the r=1 user's case isnt one...  Plus in their case the learning curve isnt that steep IMHO.

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why would mainstream support include supporting hardware that wasn't released at launch? Because it does not require extra work from Microsoft. Microsoft actually has to work MORE to ensure that it doesn't work, than they do to make it work. It is up to the hardware manufacturers to support hardware. Microsoft should not be some kind of gatekeeper that actively tries to shut the gate to make people buy their newer OS.

That's just pure evil.

You are right on that one but to be fair there are cases when MS has some homework(implementing new instruction sets, new HW functions that also needs OS support, etc).

Edited by jagdtigger

39 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You are right on that one but to be fair there are cases when MS has some homework(implementing new instruction sets, new HW functions that also needs OS support, etc).

They do not change instruction set or new HW features for programs in security updates.

Remember, security updates is all that Windows 7 will receive since it is on extended support.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

They do not change instruction set or new HW features for programs in security updates.

Remember, security updates is all that Windows 7 will receive since it is on extended support.

No but they have to update the kernel so it can use it. But this is only relevant for 8.1 ofc...

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

it's tied to the motherboard, but if you tie the key to an account, you can move the key to a different motherboard, so technically you could move a key to a new system, but then you are forced to use a microsoft account, but that's a small price to pay for not having to give them £200 for a W10 pro licence.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

[Citation Needed]

I can see Steam needing to update for hardware-specific things because of in-home streaming. But that's adding new hardware-based features to their client. It is not for security updates.

I disagree. Since there are clearly two camps about this, how about Microsoft give users the choice?

Since they have already spent quite some time and money implementing this I doubt adding a simple dialog box would be too much effort. It would take like 10 minutes.

No it would not. Because the updates are already compatible with the newer processors.

What you have to realize is that the updates already work on newer processors. This is Microsoft REMOVING compatibility, not refusing to add new compatibility. Those are two extremely different things.

Back when Microsoft was going to cut support for Skylake (months after Skylake was out, that was a bullshit decision), Terry Myerson said that W7/8.1 would get only the most critical updates if it didn't cause problems. To me that implies there is at least some validation going on.

After July 2017, the most critical Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for these configurations, and will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3183583/microsoft-windows/microsoft-will-kill-some-windows-7-and-81-support-in-april.html

Giving a choice also means they'll have to deal with the backlash from telling people to 'fuck off' with any problems. So I could understand why they wouldn't want to give people a choice. But still, the main motivation behind all of this is Windows 10.

Presumably W7 updates are compatible unless a security update breaks something that they would have to go back and fix or just say fuck it. But W8.1 is still under mainstream support, so it will/could get new features that could break compatibility.

Of course this is only Windows 10, but the same should apply to any update for any version of windows where changes are made: 

Of course Microsoft also performs extensive internal testing, with engineering teams installing new builds daily, and larger groups of employees installing builds frequently, all before those builds are ever released to the Windows Insider Program.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-overview

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Back when Microsoft was going to cut support for Skylake (months after Skylake was out, that was a bullshit decision), Terry Myerson said that W7/8.1 would get only the most critical updates if it didn't cause problems. To me that implies there is at least some validation going on.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3183583/microsoft-windows/microsoft-will-kill-some-windows-7-and-81-support-in-april.html

That's not what I asked for. Give me a source that confirms that Steam has to code update for specific processors and/or chipsets. And the updates should be security updates and not adding new features such as support for the media encoding block in Skylake (that's adding new features, not security updates for old ones).

And that is a really weak argument too. Microsoft implied that they do some validation, does not mean they have to do validation for specific processors. Again, we have standards which ensures compatibility. Like I said before, do you honestly think that Mozilla codes every update for Firefox so that it works on every single processor it can run on? Or do you think that they adhere to standards which means that if it works on one processor, it works on a wide range of processors?

Again, we are talking about security updates. They are not introducing support for new instructions sets, or adding hardware based features. We're talking about standard security patches.

Giving a choice also means they'll have to deal with the backlash from telling people to 'fuck off' with any problems. So I could understand why they wouldn't want to give people a choice. But still, the main motivation behind all of this is Windows 10.

You're not making any sense here. So according to you, blocking updates outright will generate less backlash than giving users the choice to install updates but at the risk of it not working? That is fucking bullshit and you know it. There is already a backlash so clearly they have not avoided it. In fact, judging by this thread there are many users who would be less pissed if they were given the choice. And besides, what kind of shitty argument is that? You're basically saying:

"Having known vulnerabilities on your computer is better than having a minuscule risk of an update breaking something on your system".

Why are you trying to justify the risk of having an issue by saying it is better to 100% guaranteed have an issue? It's not.

Microsoft denying their paying customers security updates guarantees that people are at risk. People would be safer installing unverified updates than to not get any updates at all.

Presumably W7 updates are compatible unless a security update breaks something that they would have to go back and fix or just say fuck it. But W8.1 is still under mainstream support, so it will/could get new features that could break compatibility.

Again, terrible argument.

"Ohh if they introduce a new feature in Windows 8.1, which they are contractually obligated to do, then something might break and then they would have to put in more work which surely they shouldn't have to do!".

If your product is still in the support period then you have to support it, no matter how much work it takes. That is what being supported means. If Microsoft did not want to support their products for this long then they should not have put it in their contracts that they will support it. You can not prematurely drop support while claiming that you still support it.

There are no excuses for what Microsoft is doing!

Stop defending business practices which are deliberately trying to harm consumers!

And no, you are defending Microsoft here. Not only are you defending Microsoft, but you are also telling people who are upset that they are just bitching and should just let Microsoft keep kicking them in the face.

It is because of people like you that companies gets away with treating consumers like shit.

I think you should either grow some balls and start standing up for consumers, or you should keep your opinions to yourself. Because you voicing your opinions is harming others. I don't think you understand how dangerous the things you are doing are. You're actively contributing to making the world a worse place, and I hope that my post will open your eyes and make you realize the damage you are causing.

And sure, you alone might not be causing that much damage, but you and the other people who are saying the same things are definitely doing damage.

I am actually scared of how compliant people these days are even when they understand that they are being treated like shit. When did everyone lose their spines and sense of what is right and wrong?

If a company does something that harms their consumers they should be ridiculed. Not praised, defended and attack the people who complain. It's that last part I especially despise. If you like being kicked in the face then fine. Go ahead and let companies mistreat you if you want. But don't come here and tell others who won't put up with such poor behavior that they are just little bitches who should shut up.