Intel officially announcing 10nm manufacturing

WMGroomAK

In an article from OC3D, Intel has officially announced their 10nm manufacturing technology which will supposedly pack in 2x as many transistors as competing '10nm' nodes.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_officially_announces_their_10nm_manufacturing_technology/1

According to the article:

Intel has now officially announced their 10nm manufacturing technology, stating that it packs 2x as many transistors than competing "10nm" manufacturing nodes. 

This third Generation FinFET manufacturing node from Intel is a true 10nm design, one that the company states is "a full generation ahead of other "10nm" technologies". This is because the industry does not use a standardised unit of measurement for defining the "size" of a manufacturing node.

As for when we may see these fully implemented in chips, the article points out:

Intel's 10nm manufacturing process has so far not yielded the performance results that Intel wanted, with their 1st generation node offering either a 25% performance boost over 14nm or 45% lower power draw. Compare this to 14nm++, Intel's 3rd generation 14nm node, which offers a 26% performance boost or a 26% reduction in power draw when compared to 14nm.  

This makes Intel better off using 14nm++ for now, as 10nm would not yield any performance gains over 14nm++, a node which likely has higher yields and manufacturing capacity. Intel's baseline 10nm process will be superior for low power designs, but not for high-end products. 

Intel already has already created their 10nm+ node, which will offer a 15% performance boost over 10nm, with up to a 30% reduction in power, which is more than enough to make it a suitable replacement for 14nm++. 

Hopefully this means that we will see Intel formally moving beyond 14nm by the end of 2018 with a 10nm+ chip.  

EDIT: Additional detail from Hot Hardware:  http://hothardware.com/news/intel-details-advanced-10nm-node

Intel claims that further refinements at 10nm mean its upcoming Cannonlake processors will provide up to a 25 percent uplift in performance, while consuming 45 percent less power than 14nm counterparts (i.e. Skylake and Kaby Lake). Looking further down the roadmap, Intel has an “enhanced” 10nm process on its roadmap called 10++ that adds another 15 percent performance increase and up to a 30 percent drop in power consumption.

It will be interesting to see if they can meet these targets with the 10nm++.

EDIT 2:  In an additional article from Hexus (http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/104080-intel-claims-10nm-process-full-generation-ahead-rivals/)

Intel presented some additional information on how they are claiming their 10nm process is a "full generation ahead" of their closest competitors.  

From the article: 

Much of Intel's claimed 10nm process advantage is down to the use of library height scaling and 'hyper scaling'. Scale reduction technology allows Intel to continue the benefits of Moore’s Law economics "by delivering transistors that are smaller and have lower cost-per-transistor". It can do this even though the transition between process nodes appears to have slowed down.

f0736391-46f2-4962-a66b-b7fde9194fa8.jpg.61ebc2d5eff311b850c83d7739ea362b.jpg

According to the timeline plans published with this, Intel is looking at being on the 10nm process for about 3-years before transitioning to 7nm.aa06d04d-dcca-4a71-9f23-7fcf759fc479.jpg.882c45ad2dadcf9d587052bed6a8b3c6.jpg

As a part of this, 

Much of Intel's claimed 10nm process advantage is down to the use of library height scaling and 'hyper scaling'. Scale reduction technology allows Intel to continue the benefits of Moore’s Law economics "by delivering transistors that are smaller and have lower cost-per-transistor". It can do this even though the transition between process nodes appears to have slowed down.

Honestly though, I'm thinking that there will be some major physics hurdles that they are going to have to overcome in the near future for transitioning beyond 7nm processes.  Maybe some new materials will have to be used in the construction of these processors.

1 minute ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

I still don't see the point of this for power users; it, from what i have seen and heard about, has no performance gains or substantial ones that would justify its production costs surrounding 10nm.

Packing more performance in the same TDP / thermal envelope.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

W00T, can't wait for a 10nm laptop

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Wish Intel would do something about gaming preformance  in each of there generation of CPU. Its not exactly awe inspiring when a new CPU is released. 

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

So basically, 14nm is the new Bulldozer.

Wait, what? How can a manufacturing node be like an architecture.

Anywho, Intel loves hyping their nodes, it's all they've got going for them moving forward now, we won't see 10nm desktop parts from Intel for a couple of years, by which point we'll most likely have Zen+ on 7nm. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

8 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Wait, what? How can a manufacturing node be like an architecture.

Anywho, Intel loves hyping their nodes, it's all they've got going for them moving forward now, we won't see 10nm desktop parts from Intel for a couple of years, by which point we'll most likely have Zen+ on 7nm. 

Bulldozer was released in 2012 and warmed over repeatedly until 2017.

14nm was released with Broadwell in 2014, and will continue to be warmed over with minimal generational improvement until, at best, late 2018. Kaby Lake is already clock-for-clock identical to Skylake. The 14nm node has become Intel's Bulldozer.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

42 minutes ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

I still don't see the point of this for power users; it, from what i have seen and heard about, has no performance gains or substantial ones that would justify its production costs surrounding 10nm.

you are wrong a small node means you can MAKE FAR more on one of that disc

39 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

So yay for laptops and tablets then... 

And desktops.  Why do you think a 7700K has a 4.2Ghz base clock and 9 years ago 2.6Ghz was the base clock?  Process node refinements, baby.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

you are wrong a small node means you can MAKE FAR more on one of that disc

The disks are called Waffles, errr I mean wafers xD

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

So team blue all the way I guess... 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

will Intel ever give us a 6 core in the mainstream segment???

I honestly think the most interesting portion of this is one of the reasons they have not switched to the 10nm process was that their 3rd gen 14nm process was seeing very similar performance to the 1st gen 10nm.  It kind of makes me wonder if the 10nm process will be a long lived one with multiple refinements matching what the future 7nm will perform or will 7nm make the 10nm process short lived.  Also, what kind of unexpected hurdles will the 7nm process give beyond going to 10nm. 

Off-Topic (slightly): Please no fanboyism on why Intel or AMD is the better company...  

5 hours ago, aisle9 said:

So basically, 14nm is the new Bulldozer.

AMD is going to be on 7 nm in 2018 or 2019, I believe

3 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I honestly think the most interesting portion of this is one of the reasons they have not switched to the 10nm process was that their 3rd gen 14nm process was seeing very similar performance to the 1st gen 10nm.  It kind of makes me wonder if the 10nm process will be a long lived one with multiple refinements matching what the future 7nm will perform or will 7nm make the 10nm process short lived.  Also, what kind of unexpected hurdles will the 7nm process give beyond going to 10nm. 

Off-Topic (slightly): Please no fanboyism on why Intel or AMD is the better company...  

It that didn't improve much I suspect they'll focus more on power saving and thus mobile and laptop parts. Hopefully they'll stop their stupid practices of looking things with DRM to Kaby but if anything, given the performance parity, we'll see more features arbitrarily locked down sadly.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

It that didn't improve much I suspect they'll focus more on power saving and thus mobile and laptop parts. Hopefully they'll stop their stupid practices of looking things with DRM to Kaby but if anything, given the performance parity, we'll see more features arbitrarily locked down sadly.

Locking down features is the new version of progress

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, 4960X said:

will Intel ever give us a 6 core in the mainstream segment???

Thinking of the same thing, if this brings an i7 8700/8700k 6c/12t then I applaud it, if all going to stay the same and energy efficiency is the main gain here then meh... might as well as wait the 7nm to upgrade a cpu again.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Interesting times, we shall see how far silicon can be pushed.

They say up to 15 % performance boost with up to 30 % reduction in power, but it should be noted that it's one or the other, not both at the same time.

To get the quoted performance benefit, the chip needs to operate at the same power as the old design. If transistor density is 2.7x higher, power/area (power density) is also 2.7x higher. I just wonder how the cooling works, but it has been done with all the node shrinks up until now, so I guess it just works somehow...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

7 hours ago, zMeul said:

this is why Intel is Intel and no one else can touch their technology advancements

Intel's 10nm is denser than TSMC's 7nm process

https://newsroom.intel.com/newsroom/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/03/10-nm-technology-fact-sheet.pdf

Actually , looking at the formula ASML ( the company that designs the lithography equipement ) devised , you can deduce a "standard node value" based on the different characteristics of the node . Intel's 10nm ( 9.5nm ) , while denser than both tsmc and samsung's 10nm nodes ( 11.3 nm and 12nm respectively ), is still significantly less dense than their 7nm nodes ( 8.2nm for TSMC / Gloflo , 8.4nm for Samsung ) .

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6160-2016-leading-edge-semiconductor-landscape.html

https://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/6498-2017-leading-edge-semiconductor-landscape.html

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case