AMD VEGA official details

NumLock21
31 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD's roadmap for their APUs is going from 4 CPU cores + 4 GCN cores to 4 Zen cores + 11 Vega cores.  My thought is the Vega cores are going to be smaller relative to the previous GCN cores.  Unless the APU's entire package is going to be much bigger in their 2018 revision, though I'd be surprised.  We'll obviously find out more relatively soon.

Though there is one hilarious little thing: if Nvidia hasn't figured out the Ryzen + 1080(ti) issue by the time Vega drops, Vega could show >30% performance gains over the 1080 series on Ryzen.  That'd be funny to see.

unless they dont have 2/1 fp16 perf on the apus, vega cores are probably bigger and not smaller, as being able to do 2 operations per cycle requires more logic

52 minutes ago, juri-han said:

well looks like the wait might be over wccf reporting vega will launch this quarter 

http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-rx-vega-launching-quarter-showcases-running-8k-video-editing/

We've known this since january. Or was it december? I can't remember. This quarter includes June 30th. If Vega is to be launched (even paper) with Prey, we should see it in May (next month).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

All signs are pointing to Computex end of May.. which would make sense, the 7/5/5XX news cycle has run its course. Hit em at Computex end of May.. launch mid to late June.

14 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

All signs are pointing to Computex end of May.. which would make sense, the 7/5/5XX news cycle has run its course. Hit em at Computex end of May.. launch mid to late June.

End of May/Early June.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's "Hi, we're at Computex and you can order your Vega today!".  The RX 560 releases, I believe, week 2 in May, so AMD might have the hype-train staged for that.  I also wonder if they're going to debut some new tech with the 560 release as well.  Would be a little odd, but, eh, never know.

Though the Vega & Ryzen launch windows still seem reversed from what they probably should have been, but oh well.  I'm still really curious if Nvidia will get the 1080 + Ryzen issue solved before then.  It's not a joke to say that quite a few games will likely show Vega beating the 1080 Ti by >25% on Ryzen if it is not. (The 1080, in certain games, has the same results of a 1070. I have no clue *why*, but it is true. Especially with DX12.)

I think AMD did it the right way.. especially when you consider the revenue involved. With a new 600 dollar card... meh, big splash, etc BUT revenue wise not that great. Ryzen 7 and 5 CPU's.. yeah, there was some significant selling.

And that's ASSuming Vega would be ready in place of Ryzen 7.. which might not have been anyways so it was a moot point.

You gotta keep in mind during the time ryzen and polaris/vega were being developed AMD was really cash-strapped. They didn't exactly have the freedom and leeway to take big R&D risks that could either fail miserably or yield great returns. So they went for smaller, safer, easier to develop and manufacture GPUs and CPU cores that would give them great value and market-share in the low to mid-range.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I'm still really curious if Nvidia will get the 1080 + Ryzen issue solved before then.  It's not a joke to say that quite a few games will likely show Vega beating the 1080 Ti by >25% on Ryzen if it is not. (The 1080, in certain games, has the same results of a 1070. I have no clue *why*, but it is true. Especially with DX12.)

I'm about to build a new system and unless skylake-x has a major price cut I'm going with ryzen so I'm also very interested in this matchup on ryzen, I'd of probably gone with the ti but if vega is better on ryzen there's no point ....

I'm still really curious if Nvidia will get the 1080 + Ryzen issue solved before then.  It's not a joke to say that quite a few games will likely show Vega beating the 1080 Ti by >25% on Ryzen if it is not. (The 1080, in certain games, has the same results of a 1070. I have no clue *why*, but it is true. Especially with DX12.)

it's an issue which affects Nvidia GPU users in the real world. However all the big reviewers use intel test benches when testing graphics cards. So it is not going to affect them during the Vega launch reviews...

On 3/25/2017 at 11:15 AM, dalekphalm said:

You know who wishes that too, I bet? AMD.

You know who doesn't have enough money to do that? AMD.

There's a reason they're staggering releases. They're very low on liquid cash, and they have to manage it carefully. Especially since for the last 4+ years, they've been dumping almost all their reserve cash into Zen R&D.

Assuming Ryzen 3 and 5 sell well, and VEGA isn't terrible, we should start to see AMD doing larger releases in the next year or two.

Not so sure about low on money they just bought some Wireless In up. Think AMD looked in to the future a few years ago and planed out Polaris then Ps4 pro, Then Ryzen, then Ryzen Servers, Vega, Scorpio then APUS. Was a bunch of launches on the table.

11 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Honestly variable refresh rates aren't even worth it. It's only useful if your frame rate is going below the refresh rate. With every gamer wanting to be at or above the refresh rate, both technologies are just going to sit there twiddling their thumbs.

Hell, I haven't really used G-Sync on my monitor. I use ULMB because I'm getting motion blur sensitivity and ULMB practically eliminates that. But the side effect is I can't use G-Sync.

I use G-Sync all the time and I can never go back to a fixed refresh and personally for me ULMB makes almost no difference on my pG258Q since it's already a stupidly fast display to begin with. Sure I saw some motion blur reduction on the UFO test online but it was very small and completely unnoticeable during actually gameplay. I would say variable refresh is ultimately the most important aspect of a gaming monitor. Games love variable refresh rates and having a variable refresh means it looks as it should all the time.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:47 PM, Trixanity said:

AMD has ReLive which is essentially the same as Shadowplay. So that's one feature. Personally I don't care about either. I really doubt these gimmicks sell that many cards. Performance is ultimately what you buy a card for.

Anecdotally I've had more issues with Nvidia drivers than AMD drivers. However a quick check around the web tells a different story; both have issues here and there.

Edit: forgot to mention you now have to register to use GeForce Experience. Never have I seen something so stupid.

You're the first I've seen to mention that you have to sign into it, it annoys the hell out of me

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

35 minutes ago, Zangashtu said:

You're the first I've seen to mention that you have to sign into it, it annoys the hell out of me

It annoys the hell out of everyone :)

It'd be fine if the sign-in was optional and/or required for a small subset of community/online features but putting the entire thing behind a wall - that's idiotic. It's not at all necessary except for data mining.

10 hours ago, juri-han said:

I'm about to build a new system and unless skylake-x has a major price cut I'm going with ryzen so I'm also very interested in this matchup on ryzen, I'd of probably gone with the ti but if vega is better on ryzen there's no point ....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/13

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/14

Any DX12 or DX9 title just doesn't work anywhere close to well on Ryzen with a 1080(Ti).  I can't quite find the video/website that had a DX12 game show the same score on Ryzen with 1070 & 1080.  But there have been a few results like that.  (BF1 testing that's done well is actually a good benchmark for the current state of affairs. Interestingly enough.)   It is also why the reviewers that were singing the praises of Ryzen were testing on 1070s.  

I just realized AMD could have some significant fun at the cost of Nvidia if they roll out their comparison benchmarks on Ryzen.  Their benchmark results wouldn't be out of line or lying, but the difference would be huge because of the driver issue. 

Tried waiting for Vega but I just couldn't anymore, just a complete lack of anything really! Got an Aorus Ti with an Asus PG279Q, it's a pretty incredible pairing! Happy I did, no more waiting!! :D  (and I have a 5930k@4.6Ghz, so probably a good pairing)

I just realized AMD could have some significant fun at the cost of Nvidia if they roll out their comparison benchmarks on Ryzen.  Their benchmark results wouldn't be out of line or lying, but the difference would be huge because of the driver issue. 

Agreed, they definitely should do this! If only for the giggles (and to force nVidia to sort their Ryzen driver out!) :D

NEW INFO:

Official Polish AMD Facebook page confirmed that Vega will release by the end of Q2 which ends 30th of June:

HN7c1IH.jpg

What's interesting - The comment was deleted later. It is believed that the PR guy that manages their Facebook page in Poland let the cat out of the bag too early and it was planned to be officially announced later during a bigger event.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

52 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

NEW INFO:

Official Polish AMD Facebook page confirmed that Vega will release by the end of Q2 which ends 30th of June:

What's interesting - The comment was deleted later. It is believed that the PR guy that manages their Facebook page in Poland let the cat out of the bag too early and it was planned to be officially announced later during a bigger event.

... which we have known for about 6 months, right? I feel like this just confirms that there might not be a delay to Q3.

3 minutes ago, Crowcore said:

I feel like this just confirms that there might not be a delay to Q3.

Which is what people have suspected for quite a while due to lack of proper information about the launch date.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Official line has been "soon" for a while.  Though they've definitely taken a lot more time with the Vega release than Ryzen.  To the point of having ad-placement in weird places happening in May.

Day 673: Still no vega.

So prey specifically advertised vega. Chances are that game will come out and we won't know anything that we haven't already known for months, much less the card be available. 

Vega = soon to be equipped with the delicious GDDR6....as HBM/2 is not available.

Sort of a joke to the GDDR6 announcement.... but not really because I would not be surprised.

Sk hynix where supoosed to have hbm2 available last year but 2ghz chips are still no where to be found on their web site. Amd needs to ditch them and  go with Samsung's  hbm2

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Sk hynix where supoosed to have hbm2 available last year but 2ghz chips are still no where to be found on their web site. Amd needs to ditch them and  go with Samsung's  hbm2

Who said they were using SK Hynix?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |