AMD VEGA official details

NumLock21
7 hours ago, Cartoons Plural said:

Day 673: Still no vega.

So prey specifically advertised vega. Chances are that game will come out and we won't know anything that we haven't already known for months, much less the card be available. 

AMD Marketing at its finest :D

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

Who said they were using SK Hynix?

all points to that, they developed it together they probably made some sort of agreement for amd to use their hbm

On 3/25/2017 at 10:44 AM, Princess Cadence said:

I hope Vega competes with the 1080ti solely to force nVidia do even better on Volta [:

Believe they already showed off Vega and it was only 10% faster then a OC'd 1080. It'll probably be like fury X was to a 980ti. Come close in a lot match it in little.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

6 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Believe they already showed off Vega and it was only 10% faster then a OC'd 1080. It'll probably be like fury X was to a 980ti. Come close in a lot match it in little.

Could be, but you're assuming there's only one chip. If we assume this is similar to the Fury (Fiji chip), then the Vega that was shown off could be the cut down variant w/ disabled cores.

We still know very little about what actual SKU's we'll see, and the specs of them.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Could be, but you're assuming there's only one chip. If we assume this is similar to the Fury (Fiji chip), then the Vega that was shown off could be the cut down variant w/ disabled cores.

We still know very little about what actual SKU's we'll see, and the specs of them.

Either way they were too late bring it to the table and I already bought another 1080ti and don't intend to switch. This is why even it it's slightly better most people who aren't fanboys or girls would have already bought a GPU for the most part. AMD needs to step things up and release their products in time before the competition has most of the market already. Otherwise your only fighting over scraps of the market left that doesn't include only amd fans

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

29 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Either way they were too late bring it to the table and I already bought another 1080ti and don't intend to switch. This is why even it it's slightly better most people who aren't fanboys or girls would have already bought a GPU for the most part. AMD needs to step things up and release their products in time before the competition has most of the market already. Otherwise your only fighting over scraps of the market left that doesn't include only amd fans

You're not wrong, but look at it from AMD's perspective:

They have x amount of funds to R&D a GPU lineup, and y amount of funds to manufacture and do a launch. y doesn't cover enough money to do simultaneous releases, so they need to stagger them, financially.

What would you have AMD do differently, when they likely literally didn't have enough money to get Vega out sooner?

People keep saying what you've said, over and over again. Don't you think AMD would have released it sooner if they could? Please, by all means, show us an alternative. What should they have done instead?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They have x amount of funds to R&D a GPU lineup, and y amount of funds to manufacture and do a launch. y doesn't cover enough money to do simultaneous releases, so they need to stagger them, financially.

Well the good thing is looking at all the trends and results over time AMD has got through the bad period and is going to be making profits again this year.

12 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Well the good thing is looking at all the trends and results over time AMD has got through the bad period and is going to be making profits again this year.

I agree - with the relative popularity of Ryzen, they should have a bigger pool of capital to work with.

And as soon as they can, I fully expect them to start doing full lineup releases, similar to how NVIDIA does things.

AMD supposedly finished their Vega GPU design last summer, so, I wonder what they've been doing with Vega since then.

I also wonder what AMD's maneuverability to alter the GPU design after its initial finalization is, and whether they would have beefed up its performance in reaction to Nvidia's 1070 - 1080 lineup, as well as the long-anticipated 1080 Ti. I wonder how close to manufacturing commencement AMD is able to change something to make the GPU more powerful.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I agree - with the relative popularity of Ryzen, they should have a bigger pool of capital to work with.

And as soon as they can, I fully expect them to start doing full lineup releases, similar to how NVIDIA does things.

Yup, and speaking on full lineup releases; one good thing is after Vega launches all AMD GPUs in the rx 5xx and Vega series will be modern GCN parts with good features etc.

Unlike in the past few years where we had too many models from different generations. e.g. the R9 2xx series was great but they had GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 all in the same lineup. And the 280x didn't support freesync etc.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

It's only late if it performs worse than the competition. We've yet to find out if that's the case.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

3 hours ago, cj09beira said:

all points to that, they developed it together they probably made some sort of agreement for amd to use their hbm

They did with first gen HBM though, right? It seems entirely plausible that they have switched it up this time, especially if SK Hynix can't deliver the goods.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

You're not wrong, but look at it from AMD's perspective:

What would you have AMD do differently, when they likely literally didn't have enough money to get Vega out sooner?

People keep saying what you've said, over and over again. Don't you think AMD would have released it sooner if they could? Please, by all means, show us an alternative. What should they have done instead?

Look I keep saying it because it's true. Consumers don't have to care about a companies own problems. If they wait too long for what ever reason they will fall behind and it will be no one's fault but their own. Do not treat a company like a child and that consumers should take pitty on them for their own failures as a company.

21 minutes ago, Carclis said:

It's only late if it performs worse than the competition. We've yet to find out if that's the case.

Wrong, it is already late regardless how it does. Most people aren't going to sell their new 700 buck GPU for small improvement 5-10fps. Vega would have to be about 30% faster for most people to jump ship after already laying down the cash for a 1080ti/even 1080. Only way people would jump ship is if it was 1080ti performance for 1080 prices and that's only if they had a 1080 or lower. And that's if they jump ship to and and not just sell their 1080 and just buy a 1080ti

31 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Wrong, it is already late regardless how it does. Most people aren't going to sell their new 700 buck GPU for small improvement 5-10fps. Vega would have to be about 30% faster for most people to jump ship after already laying down the cash for a 1080ti/even 1080. Only way people would jump ship is if it was 1080ti performance for 1080 prices and that's only if they had a 1080 or lower. And that's if they jump ship to and and not just sell their 1080 and just buy a 1080ti

you forget that there is always someone looking for a graphics card, not being a upgrade for 1080/ti owners doesn't mean much as those people have enough perf, people on 980/ti or lower by now might be looking for an upgrade.

50 minutes ago, Carclis said:

They did with first gen HBM though, right? It seems entirely plausible that they have switched it up this time, especially if SK Hynix can't deliver the goods.

this type of agreements normally last a few years.

36 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Look I keep saying it because it's true. Consumers don't have to care about a companies own problems. If they wait too long for what ever reason they will fall behind and it will be no one's fault but their own. Do not treat a company like a child and that consumers should take pitty on them for their own failures as a company.

we got to this point in part because of un educated consumers which kept being nvidea when they were offering a hotter more expensive and power hungry gpu than amd's gpu.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you forget that there is always someone looking for a graphics card, not being a upgrade for 1080/ti owners doesn't mean much as those people have enough perf, people on 980/ti or lower by now might be looking for an upgrade.

this type of agreements normally last a few years.

we got to this point in part because of un educated consumers which kept being nvidea when they were offering a hotter more expensive and power hungry gpu than amd's gpu.

Lawl at saying Nvidia cards run hotter and consume more power then amd cards as a whole. Logic fail your post instantly invalid. 

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

AMD supposedly finished their Vega GPU design last summer, so, I wonder what they've been doing with Vega since then.

I also wonder what AMD's maneuverability to alter the GPU design after its initial finalization is, and whether they would have beefed up its performance in reaction to Nvidia's 1070 - 1080 lineup, as well as the long-anticipated 1080 Ti. I wonder how close to manufacturing commencement AMD is able to change something to make the GPU more powerful.

they are waiting for hbm2, plus after they finish the design it still takes another 6 months to take the design and make the gpu itself.

they finished the design after the 1080 release so they knew what to aim for, if they had enough time to change much i don't know 

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Lawl at saying Nvidia cards run hotter and consume more power then amd cards as a whole. Logic fail your post instantly invalid. 

there was a point that yes they did it was something like a 500mm^2 die being slower than amd's 250mm^2 die people still bought the nvidea one way more (numbers are not accurate)

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

there was a point that yes they did it was something like a 500mm^2 die being slower than amd's 250mm^2 die people still bought the nvidea one way more (numbers are not accurate)

The exception doesn't prove the rule and doesn't make your point earlier any less wrong.

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

The exception doesn't prove the rule and doesn't make your point earlier any less wrong.

i wasn't making a rule i was saying that at some point in the past that happend and people like ducks went and bought them.

i saw this in africa people would keep buying phones that lasted 6 months then they could save for a few time and buy one from a known brand which would last them years, even worse in car parts where sometimes the quality part was the same price as the chinese knock off. and because of that they will always be poor because you can't make a business with cars braking down every 3 months or buying a phone every few months

28 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

C'mon... don't be that user.

NVIDIA basically invented "overly hot GPU that draws too much power". Fermi. Everyone but the youngin's know about it. It wasn't until Hawaii that AMD "ran hot", and that was only on shitty reference design (which was admittedly, pretty shitty). Fiji and Polaris are both fairly decently running cards.

It's also only since Maxwell that the PC Enthusiast community as a whole has given a damn about power draw.

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Again, your general point isn't wrong - I'm not treating AMD like a child (though I do pity them). But realistically, we don't want NVIDIA to have a pure 100% monopoly either.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Again, your general point isn't wrong - I'm not treating AMD like a child (though I do pity them). But realistically, we don't want NVIDIA to have a pure 100% monopoly either.

Monopoly is bad however I'm not going to buy a product I don't want / don't want to wait for when there's a perfectly good product that's already out.

4 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Monopoly is bad however I'm not going to buy a product I don't want / don't want to wait for when there's a perfectly good product that's already out.

Then why buy the gimped 3GB 1060? A 4GB 470 craps all over it for less. Also, why do you have a 1200W PSU for a <400W system? :|

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Agreed - but not everyone needs a new GPU right this second.

And those who don't need high end, it's perfectly valid to consider both AMD and NVIDIA (GTX 1060 - RX480/580 and lower).