AMD VEGA official details

NumLock21
3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I doubt it'll be an entire lineup of GPUs, but that'd be nice to have options. But I doubt any of them are gonna be higher than 1080, seeing as the benchmarks leaked so far placed it smack dab in between the 1080 and 1070.

Vega 10, vega 11...there will deffo be at least 3 GPUs :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Just because it's unlisted doesn't mean it's Vega...AMD was also testing rebranded GPUs and was OCing those.  You can also fake a bios.

I never said it was confirmed to be Vega. I just said that it was rumored to be Vega, and imho I think it is Vega. Plus from the benchmarks we saw in the LTT video, wasn't the Vega barely matching a 1080 in Doom, the most Team Red leaning game ever?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Linus doesn't even have a Vega GPU.  Everything is just rumors at this point.  Also, no Doom is not the most team red game.  id is usually in favor of Nvidia because Carmack always designed/developed on Nvidia cards and forgets to optimize for them.  FFS with Doom 3 BFG you had to dl a direct x dll to keep the game stable for awhile.  <.<  Because thanks, John Carmack.  Oh, you meant at the CES booth, ya no that was an engineering sample, not a final product.  3:58 in, "This is only an engineering card, not a final card."

I'd argue it's because id has traditionally used OpenGL for its engines, id Tech 5 being the only strange one using DirectX. NVIDIA has traditionally been better about OpenGL support than ATi/AMD.

"HBM is 5x faster than GDDR5"

Who cares when it doesnt effect performance in any significant way...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Linus doesn't even have a Vega GPU.  Everything is just rumors at this point.  Also, no Doom is not the most team red game.  id is usually in favor of Nvidia because Carmack always designed/developed on Nvidia cards and forgets to optimize for them.  FFS with Doom 3 BFG you had to dl a direct x dll to keep the game stable for awhile.  <.<  Because thanks, John Carmack.  Oh, you meant at the CES booth, ya no that was an engineering sample, not a final product.  3:58 in, "This is only an engineering card.  You won't see this on a product."

Alright. I still believe that Vega is being overhyped like Ryzen was, and that it's not gonna be the 1080ti killer everyone thinks it is. But that's just me

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I've actually seen John Carmack post on forums of his build during development stages over the years.  He's even posted FB live videos and Youtube videos.  He generally runs systems with Nvidia cards and develops in favor of their technology first and then gets lazy on the AMD side.  Yes, he's also used OpenGL and Direct X as both options.  This has been clear since the original Quake in 1997.  He wasn't as lazy back then, so the problems weren't too too bad outside of some pixelation issues on the direct x side.  But, ever since Rage and Doom 3 BFG he's gotten a bit lazy with optimization towards AMD HW.  

Maybe that's because AMD hasn't really cared much about supporting OpenGL themselves: http://richg42.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-truth-on-opengl-driver-quality.html (Vendor A is NVIDIA, Vendor B is ATi/AMD, Vendor C is Intel)

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

What I've been saying is wait until the final product rather than hyping up that hype train.  It could be good, it could be not as good as people assumed.  We don't know.

I know. That's what I'm saying also. I think it's not gonna be a 1080ti at the price of a 480 (exaggerating here) like everyone wants

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

I know. That's what I'm saying also. I think it's not gonna be a 1080ti at the price of a 480 (exaggerating here) like everyone wants

Get me playable 4k with pretty settings (so right around or a bit below 1080ti performance) for $400-450 and my only question will be "where do I type in my credit card number?"

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

27 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I never said it was confirmed to be Vega. I just said that it was rumored to be Vega, and imho I think it is Vega. Plus from the benchmarks we saw in the LTT video, wasn't the Vega barely matching a 1080 in Doom, the most Team Red leaning game ever?

All the current performance leaks for Vega don't really stack up to reality, a lot of them are showing performance which is barely above a Fury X which is simply illogical. I don't believe or am saying Vega is going to be some amazing card that is going to smash 1080Ti's etc but a node shrink and a significant architecture redesign isn't going to yield a tiny improvement so it's always good to go and check Fury X performance figures to check the validity of Vega leaks.

Just now, Phate.exe said:

Get me playable 4k with pretty settings (so right around 1080ti performance) for $400-450 and my only question will be "where do I type in my credit card number?"

i believe it will be more in the 500 dollar range, this is a big chip (530mm^2) 

Even if they never supported OpenGL Carmack is still capable of not being that lazy and would have been able to fix the issue himself.  He's John "Fucking" Carmack.  Do not underestimate his abilities.  He even left Zenimax/id and became the head engineer of the Oculus Rift because he fixed all the issues the creator was having.  They sent him one and he's like, "Oh you did this and this wrong, let me fix that for you!"  The guy is too much of a genius not too, and he's done it for years on his own.  He also created every idtech on his own and does most of the development of all the big id games on his own with some input from others on the design and minor parts.  In his spare time, he builds commercial space crafts.  <.<  He also interrupts Quakecon to give lectures on quantum physics.  So, it has nothing to really do with AMD...it's just John being lazy.  But, it doesn't matter anymore because after he created the idtech 6, as a parting gift, he's not even there anymore.

You act as though Carmack coded everything by himself and knows the ins and outs of every little line of code.

At best now, Carmack is/was directing the architecture and higher level designs. He probably had no hand in the lower level designs and implementation of the engines. This is how it is with a lot of senior developers. They don't concern themselves with optimizing so much as making sure bigger picture features are put in. Things are much more complex than they were 12 years ago.

I think they might just release a couple of GPUs at different levels, but not a lot if anything.  The only reason I'm saying that is because of the delay if anything.  But, knowing AMD I feel like if they're going to do that it's going to be binned central.

True. Seems like it'll be nothing but binned shit

1 minute ago, Phate.exe said:

Get me playable 4k with pretty settings (so right around 1080ti performance) for $400-450 and my only question will be "where do I type in my credit card number?"

I doubt they're gonna make a gpu that can compete with the 1080ti for $450

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, leadeater said:

All the current performance leaks for Vega don't really stack up to reality, a lot of them are showing performance which is barely above a Fury X which is simply illogical. I don't believe or am saying Vega is going to be some amazing card that is going to smash 1080Ti's etc but a node shrink and a significant architecture redesign isn't going to yield a tiny improvement so it's always good to go and check Fury X performance figures to check the validity of Vega leaks.

the time spy bench has the exact same perf as a heavely oced fury x (1220mhz core and 540mhz hbm)

Just now, leadeater said:

Yeah, some of the benchmarks are pretty misleading. But I guess that's what you get when you're getting unconfirmed leaks before something's released

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

I doubt they're gonna make a gpu that can compete with the 1080ti for $450

Even if it's closer to a 1080 that'd probably end up working for me.

I just want to play things like GTA V on my 4k freesync monitor.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Just now, Phate.exe said:

Even if it's closer to a 1080 that'd probably end up working for me.

I just want to play things like GTA V on my 4k freesync monitor.

Then get a 1080ti ;);););)

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Then get a 1080ti ;);););)

Yeah but $700 and not being able to use freesync.  A 1080 is getting closer to what I want to spend.

I'm still waiting for my motherboard and case to show up anyways, so I might as well just hold tight another couple weeks for more info and take my sweet time putting this system together.

Maybe I'll leave the 4k display in the box and borrow the RX 470 from my current machine for the time being.

38 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Exactly.

AMD looking at their sales charts for Q1

14145437_957491604360202_105634026_n.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

37 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Yeah but $700 and not being able to use freesync.  A 1080 is getting closer to what I want to spend.

I'm still waiting for my motherboard and case to show up anyways, so I might as well just hold tight another couple weeks for more info and take my sweet time putting this system together.

Maybe I'll leave the 4k display in the box and borrow the RX 470 from my current machine for the time being.

Hey, what can I say. If you want 4k with adaptive refresh rate, go NoVideo and Gay-Sync.

And that'd be a good idea tbh

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Looks like Vega was just certified in South Korea last Tuesday. Wonder how long it'll be before it hits shelves...

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

11 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Computex launch most likely.

Hopefully they have enough units by then and it doesn't end up just being a paper launch.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

As much as I'd love to be wrong about this, I just don't think Vega will touch the 1080ti. I'd be pretty surprised if it could beat the 1080. But who knows, let's just wait and see what happens.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

12 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

I'd be pretty surprised if it could beat the 1080. 

Big VEGA with the full fat HBM2 is projected to compete with the 1080 at 1500mhz, and since this isn't GCN, it'll probably hit higher than that