Intel deemphasize process sizes

Quinntun

Intel will change its approach to PC chip upgrades, deemphasize process sizes. Intel will focus on increase performance with each new architecture rather than decreasing the node that it is manufactured on. As they have come to realize that most customers don't care what node the CPU is on but rather how fast the chip is.

I honestly believe this is due to Ryzen being able to match the performance, on a ST performance and beat it on MT performance, since they have gotten so complacent with being in the lead for so long and having no competition but now they do they will need to refocus the effects on making better products rather than shrinking it. I'm really happy AMD has risen again (well it appears so when it comes we will know for sure) we can finaly have good healthy competition again and we the customers will win.;):DxD

Original story from PCWorld

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3175724/computers/intel-will-change-its-approach-to-pc-chip-upgrades.html

*Editited*

Intel is scared of Ryzen :P 

EDIT: nvm

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

18 minutes ago, Quinntun said:

Intel will change its approach to PC chip upgrades, deemphasize process sizes. Intel will focus on increase performance with each new architecture rather than decreasing the node that it is manufactured on. As they have come to realize that most customers dont care what node the CPU is on but rather how fast the chip is.

Original story from PCWorld

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3175724/computers/intel-will-change-its-approach-to-pc-chip-upgrades.html

OP you need to put your quote in a quote. Like this ^^^^ above.

You also need to add your opinion on the topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Intel will change its approach to PC chip upgrades, deemphasize process sizes

Intel believes PC users won't care about the manufacturing process, just the performance of the chips

By Agam Shah

Intel chip

Intel is changing its view on how it upgrades chips.

Rather than tying chip upgrades directly to the manufacturing process involved, Intel will look at delivering a sustained set of performance upgrades with each new chip architecture.

“We’re going to be focused more on the generation by the amount of performance increment it will give us,” said Venkata Renduchintala, president of Intel’s Client and Internet of Things businesses and its Systems Architecture Group. “I don’t think generations will be tagged to node transitions.”

The parallel shipments of 10-nm and 14-nm chips could create a branding dilemma, and Intel may have to launch 9th Generation Core chips alongside the 8th Generation chips.

Interesting.

*edit

I'm not the OP but I felt like helping.....

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@Quinntun

Please update your post to fall in line with our requirements found here

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

In other words get ready for more performance "increases" like we got from going to Kaby Lake from Skylake...

If I were Intel I would hop on to 10nm while AMD is only just getting to 14nm and then optimize the F*** out of 10nm and sit on it until the silicon-replacement is found.

It's not because of Ryzen, they just realize they have more and more problems with every node shrink and can't go on like this forever. So the marketing tries to turn it into something appealing.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

5 hours ago, Deli said:

and reduce cost

reduce costs?!

Intel has troubles with implementing 10nm in it's fabs - that is done at huge costs

my guess is that Intel will milk everything possible from 14nm and only after they'll go 10nm and lower

Sounds like Intel admitting they are loosing their node advantages. As a laptop users I deeply care about node sizes as they typically means lower power consumption therefore thinner and or longer lasting devices

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Thanks AMD

So whos gonna come in and claim this has been in the works for eons and not in response to Ryzen?

I will.

Intel has been struggling with the 10nm node for ages now. They used to make two generations on each node but now we might be getting our fourth generation on 14nm. Of course they will try and spin it in a positive way like "we have realized that people don't care about processing nodes".

This really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Of course they needed AMD to make them "realize" what we want. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I don't think it has anything to do with AMD, rather to do with TSMC, GF and Samsung closing the gap.

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

10 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Intel will change its approach to PC chip upgrades, deemphasize process sizes

Intel believes PC users won't care about the manufacturing process, just the performance of the chips

By Agam Shah

Intel chip

Interesting.

*edit

I'm not the OP but I felt like helping.....

Thanks for the assist

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

lol, took them three decades to notice xD 

it didn't. they were just focusing on milking the shit out of every product they had, because they knew amd had nothing that could compete with their products.

10 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Thanks AMD

So whos gonna come in and claim this has been in the works for eons and not in response to Ryzen?

So, big AMD fan, any regular on the news section knows this.

Honestly I dont think it is a direct response. Its no secret intel has had issues with the 10nm node. So mean time they will try and up their game on the current node. This is something that would have happened without Ryzen IMO. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Am I the only one that thinks that a product being good is more important than what process size it is on

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

So, big AMD fan, any regular on the news section knows this.

Honestly I dont think it is a direct response. Its no secret intel has had issues with the 10nm node. So mean time they will try and up their game on the current node. This is something that would have happened without Ryzen IMO. 

EVERYONE is having issues with the 10nm node... Forgot who said it recently, but a third party chip manufacturer blatantly called out TSMC recently for over-promising and under-delivering on 10nm, and apparently even the parts they do have are getting insanely low yields.

Intel aims for 60% product margin... You need to be REALLY REALLY good at making a chip on a process to reach that point.

Honestly... This has nothing to do with Ryzen, and everything to do with the fact that every new node generation is going to be harder and harder to reach, and they already needed 3 (MAYBE 4!) generations to stretch out the 14nm node.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

EVERYONE is having issues with the 10nm node... Forgot who said it recently, but a third party chip manufacturer blatantly called out TSMC recently for over-promising and under-delivering on 10nm, and apparently even the parts they do have are getting insanely low yields.

Intel aims for 60% product margin... You need to be REALLY REALLY good at making a chip on a process to reach that point.

Honestly... This has nothing to do with Ryzen, and everything to do with the fact that every new node generation is going to be harder and harder to reach, and they already needed 3 (MAYBE 4!) generations to stretch out the 14nm node.

This guy knows what's up.  Nothing to do with Ryzen, it just looks bad when you're on the same node for 4 generations (14nm (Broadwell), 14nm (Skylake), 14nm+ (Kaby Lake), 14nm++ (Kaby Lake Refresh / Coffee Lake).  To me looks like an effort to "hide" the fact that it's harder and harder to go smaller.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

competition breeds the need to innovate and beat out the competitors, im certainly not going to buy ryzen but in a couple years when i refresh my pc the intel chips will have a much better bump than skylake to kayby lake (coz we all know that was just rediculous)  

I lurk a lot

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

This guy knows what's up.  Nothing to do with Ryzen, it just looks bad when you're on the same node for 4 generations (14nm (Broadwell), 14nm (Skylake), 14nm+ (Kaby Lake), 14nm++ (Kaby Lake Refresh / Coffee Lake).  To me looks like an effort to "hide" the fact that it's harder and harder to go smaller.

Except for people who keep up with quantum physics(even just a little bit) and transistor manufacturing would probably know that the smaller transistors get, the harder it is to actually control them. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, AxelRantila said:

Am I the only one that thinks that a product being good is more important than what process size it is on

No you are not, personally i care more about performance than process size, i have not even seen much a difference in performance or power efficiency  with die shrinks