Microsoft's tweaking the Windows 10 UI in "Project Neon"

Mira Yurizaki
12 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Well to be honest, Sync never worked for my Zune either... And when it did do something, It would either double every songs or somehow delete everything... 

And we do have Groove on Window Phone, it has support for continuum (as useless as that is right now) and it also does have a "sync" option in the settings. I honestly have no clue what it does though or how it works, it just says "Sync complete" when I click it and doesn't seems to actually do anything?

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It syncs your music across devices using OneDrive if i'm not mistaken.

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

IIRC Grove is able to sync player information through Onedrive if you have it [not the music itself just the playlists you own]. I don't know from experience as I don't use anything but Pandora.

To everyone saying Sync over OneDrive, that's not really what I mean, and I'm sure you know it. Yes, I could upload all my music to OneDrive, and Grove Player will (after having downloaded it all from OneDrive) be able to read the music files and play them. But that's not a quick solution.

Plugging your phone in and just syncing a quick update to a playlist, for example, is what I'm referring to.

@TetraSky no idea why Sync never worked for you. I didn't have the issues you described. Zune honestly was perfect for my HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7) and my Lumia 830 (Windows Phone 8.1) before I updated it to Windows 10 Mobile.

Syncing music on Windows 10 Mobile is a goddamn pain in the ass. I've since bought an iPhone 6s, and frankly, as much as people bitch about iOS, I find the syncing via iTunes to be so easy, that this is one of the features that outweighs many of the iOS drawbacks.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

To everyone saying Sync over OneDrive, that's not really what I mean, and I'm sure you know it. Yes, I could upload all my music to OneDrive, and Grove Player will (after having downloaded it all from OneDrive) be able to read the music files and play them. But that's not a quick solution.

Plugging your phone in and just syncing a quick update to a playlist, for example, is what I'm referring to.

@TetraSky no idea why Sync never worked for you. I didn't have the issues you described. Zune honestly was perfect for my HTC HD7 (Windows Phone 7) and my Lumia 830 (Windows Phone 8.1) before I updated it to Windows 10 Mobile.

Syncing music on Windows 10 Mobile is a goddamn pain in the ass. I've since bought an iPhone 6s, and frankly, as much as people bitch about iOS, I find the syncing via iTunes to be so easy, that this is one of the features that outweighs many of the iOS drawbacks.

Ok I follow, unfortunately I cant say since the last time I sync'd zune was with zune using my W7 phone (HTC HD7)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Ok I follow, unfortunately I cant say since the last time I sync'd zune was with zune using my W7 phone (HTC HD7)

No worries, I've already decided to abandon Windows 10 Mobile for the time being. Android is too fragmented, and unless you get something like a Pixel (Which was either $1000+, or basically impossible to buy here at the time I made the switch), you're not guaranteed updates at all, let alone long term OS updates.

But I digress - we're getting off topic :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

When you plug Windows 10 Mobile device to your PC, it act like a drive. You have your standard Windows account folder: Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. Just transfer your music over. If your phone has a memory card, you can put it there as well instead, and put the memory stick on your phone. It behaves like on your Windows 10 PC.

If you buy music from Groove Music, it will be on your phone. If you have Music streaming service option (Groove Music Pass), then you have access to all songs. Playlists also syncs automatically regardless if you have Groove Music Pass or not. All you need to do, is to have the same account on your PC as your phone. If you have Groove Music player on Android or iOS, the same applies.

The butty of the Windows 10 Mobile device, is that it is not depended on a PC. It is a PC itself, much like a Window powered tablet computer. You can re-install Windows on the phone itself.

Now on topic, this is very nice. I think it should have been posted in the Windows Insider forum section, at least until Microsoft makes any announcement, as we have nothing to know if these are real, nor if it is nothing more than some tentative style that is passed in the company which may or may not come to reality.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Again? Why?

What are they trying to accomplish exactly?

They keep changing stuff around so you constantly need to adjust to their changes and once you are somewhat used to it BAM it's all changed again...

If they want so many designs, what about giving the USER the choice? Yea that's a crazy idea isn't it? (it isn't...)

There is theme stuff probably somewhere in W10 so why don't continue developing that so we can decide for ourself what look we want...

Its not a huge change, and its pretty standard timeframe. If the tech industry listened to these complaints, we'd still be using Windows 95 UI elements...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Again? Why?

What are they trying to accomplish exactly?

They keep changing stuff around so you constantly need to adjust to their changes and once you are somewhat used to it BAM it's all changed again...

If they want so many designs, what about giving the USER the choice? Yea that's a crazy idea isn't it? (it isn't...)

There is theme stuff probably somewhere in W10 so why don't continue developing that so we can decide for ourself what look we want...

This isn't a theme thing. This is a design standard/design language the are creating for UWP apps. App developers have the choice of following these guidelines and standards or not.

This is on a per app basis and not a one button click kind of thing.  

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This makes me moist.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

To everyone saying Sync over OneDrive, that's not really what I mean, and I'm sure you know it. Yes, I could upload all my music to OneDrive, and

Grove

*Groove

Player

*Music

will (after having downloaded it all from OneDrive) be able to read the music files and play them. But that's not a quick solution.

I'm completely lost on this one. If it was me then I'd say the same thing with a "/sarcasm" because my experiences with IOS have been painful.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

*Groove

*Music

I'm completely lost on this one. If it was me then I'd say the same thing with a "/sarcasm" because my experiences with IOS have been painful.

*Rolls eyes at first two comments*

I'm not sure how you're lost on my comments. I've been an avid Microsoft Windows Mobile user since Windows Mobile 6.5. I've used Mobile 6.5, Phone 7, Phone 7.5, Phone 7.8, Phone 8, Phone 8.1, and now 10 Mobile.

For Phone 7 thru 8.1, I could plug in my phone, and within a matter of 2 minutes, sync changes to my music (automatically add any new music that I've added to my Library since the last sync, or changes to a playlist, etc). This was one of the highlights of Windows Phone and Zune.

With Windows 10 Mobile, there's the syncing app, which I found a major pain in the ass, and the iTunes syncing sub-feature of that app never worked, ever, for me. Yeah, I can manually copy the music over, via folders, but that, to me, is a downgrade of features of ease-of-use. I could already do that with Windows Phone 7 and onward. I have no way of quickly seeing what's different or new.

Switching to iOS has been difficult in many ways - it's quite a bit different, and some features I took for granted are simply absent (eg: built-in Mobile Data monitoring and setting your monthly data limit) - sure I can see how much data I've used, but not in my monthly cycle, and I cannot automatically have data disable if I go over.

But other things have been great. App support. Yeah, Windows 10 Mobile is definitely getting better, but it's not there yet. Is this Microsoft's fault? Nope. But it's still a problem. A problem that I don't want to deal with anymore. Syncing via iTunes has also been an excellent experience so far. A lot of the rest is simply different, and not inherently better or worse.

I'll likely try Android (Or revisit Windows Mobile if there's been significant improvement in Apps and other issues) for my next phone, but for now, I'm committed to iOS for at least a couple years.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

*Rolls eyes at first two comments*

I'm not sure how you're lost on my comments. I've been an avid Microsoft Windows Mobile user since Windows Mobile 6.5. I've used Mobile 6.5, Phone 7, Phone 7.5, Phone 7.8, Phone 8, Phone 8.1, and now 10 Mobile.

For Phone 7 thru 8.1, I could plug in my phone, and within a matter of 2 minutes, sync changes to my music (automatically add any new music that I've added to my Library since the last sync, or changes to a playlist, etc). This was one of the highlights of Windows Phone and Zune.

With Windows 10 Mobile, there's the syncing app, which I found a major pain in the ass, and the iTunes syncing sub-feature of that app never worked, ever, for me.

Yeah, I can manually copy the music over, via folders, but that, to me, is a downgrade of features of ease-of-use. I could already do that with Windows Phone 7 and onward. I have no way of quickly seeing what's different or new.

That's your fault for not using OneDrive.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Switching to iOS has been difficult in many way

- it's quite a bit different, and some features I took for granted are simply absent (eg: built-in Mobile Data monitoring and setting your monthly data limit) - sure I can see how much data I've used, but not in my monthly cycle, and I cannot automatically have data disable if I go over.

I've been stuck with an iPhone 4 for a week since it's a spare phone lying around at home but damn it reminds me of how much I dislike IOS.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

That's your fault for not using OneDrive.

I've been stuck with an iPhone 4 for a week since it's a spare phone lying around at home but damn it reminds me of how much I dislike IOS.

What a cop-out comment. OneDrive, while it has a lot of excellent features, is not a replacement. Not to mention that syncing via OneDrive is not instant, and I've experienced (especially on my Windows 10 Mobile device) potentially considerable lag between when I make a change to OneDrive, and that change is propagated to the phone.

Normally I defend your statements, because Microsoft gets a bad wrap around here because lots of users have raging hate-boners for them. But I cannot understand your stance here.

As for using an iPhone 4? No shit the experience sucks. It's an iPhone 4. That phone is SEVEN YEARS OLD now. For a phone, that's basically the stone age. To make a comparison, that's older then my old HTC HD7 Windows Phone 7 device. If I pulled that out of storage and tried to use it, it would suck horribly too.

Now, there are problems with iOS. Just like there are problems with Android and Windows Mobile as well. If you cannot objectively see that there is no perfect mobile OS, and each has their positives and negatives, and a lot of it comes down to personal preference, then we have nothing further to discuss. If, however, you are willing to admit that iOS has some fantastic features that some people value, then we can continue.

Oh, I love that huge empty space above window control buttons because it makes so much sense to waste window space for nothing. I mean, if something incorporates modern design it must be good by default because modern, currently popular design fits everywhere, right?

Changing something out of boredom, great.

12 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yay. Another app design standard I need to adopt :(.

RIP x2(ur phone SIM card)

i like trains 🙂

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP x3

have another hug:

(>^_^)> <(^.^<)

i like trains 🙂

9 hours ago, Qub3d said:

Its not a huge change, and its pretty standard timeframe. If the tech industry listened to these complaints, we'd still be using Windows 95 UI elements...

Well, i would argue they are still in W10, there are high-contrast themes and they are based on the windows-classic theme, which is from the W95 era.

So i don't understand why they don't add "older" themes they had in W10 to the theme manager so we can decide which one we want.

It's probably not very difficult to do... I mean there were people out there that are capable of making some awesome themes so i don't see why MS can't at least add their own themes to it.

At least people did that until MS decided to deliberately stop them from doing so... The anniversary update messed something up because background something something completely irrelevant and broke a bunch of stuff.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Things like these just make me want Windows 7 more and more. There are so many things wrong with it.

1) You can't keep changing the UI over and over and over. They have already made one pretty drastic UI change (with the anniversary update) and now they are making even more?

Changing UIs is very jarring for some users, and having the UI change one or several times each year will cause a lot of issues. It's also bad for developers which have to constantly need to redesign their GUIs if they want everything to look uniform. If you want uniformity then you need to make one design and stick to it. Not make one design, then change it, then add stuff to the changed design, and then probably introduce more changes later down the line.

2) The new GUI looks really bad. I was very vocal that the sterile style of Windows 10 looked like ass and wanted transparency and blur back, but not like this. The screenshot of outlook makes it look basically unusable. There is next to no contrast between the background and unselected text. Just look at the "sent items" text in the left menu. It's about as pleasant to look at as jabbing forks into your eyes.

3) Animations are shit, especially "smooth" ones because "smooth" is often code for "slow". I don't want transitioning animations which last for like a solid second, because it makes everything feels really unresponsive. Of course, I am just assuming things here, but since almost all "smooth" animations I've seen are just slow, I assume this will be too. That gif seems to indicate that it's rather slow too, but that might just be delays in the gif itself.

I like it, looks clean.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

With aero and fraps, you can record your desktop. Great for tutorials or need to show a video on something you need help on. It stopped working since win8.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Well, I keep my UI full black though, I would just hope they have native dark theme not only taskbar, tile bar, modern UI windows but also explorer. 

Also, I like animations though for some would be nice to see them executed even faster. I like the extra response feel :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

16 hours ago, 128cool said:

Does this confirm that there won't be a new windows? 

They're going to continually update "Windows 10". There won't be a Windows 11 or whatever, according to Microsoft when they decided to call this version of the OS Windows 10. I personally think they should just call it Windows and that's it.

well with UI suggestions like this

Windows 10 - Dark Theme

They're at least listening. I think this is what windows 10 should have looked like but let's hope for at least some consistency, that to me is more important than what design language the go for, that they are consistent with it (looking at you explorer)

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

1 hour ago, Wyzzy Moon said:

well with UI suggestions like this

They're at least listening. I think this is what windows 10 should have looked like but let's hope for at least some consistency, that to me is more important than what design language the go for, that they are consistent with it (looking at you explorer)

Funny thing is that Windows 10 Mobile has a File Explorer Universal App, so they can make it look like this (it looks nice like the current Windows 10 built-in Universal Apps). They are not doing it, because probably UWP is missing a great deal of APIs to allow everything that explorer can do it (not to mention "plug-ins" for thumbnail preview support of formats, and the preview pane).

I think explorer will be the latest thing Microsoft updates. They would need a lot of resource, possibly get the focus of multiple teams to make it all happen. Unless RedStone 3 focus is only GUI focused, and no new features (little to none), then I don't see it coming then, maybe the following one. Unless, the have been working very slowly on the back since Windows 10 was released, or even before, the moment the Windows 10 Mobile File Explorer app was completed.