Macbook Pro 2016 Review

This is going to be good...

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

If it doesn't have GSync I'm going to riot Apple /s

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

@nicklmg Are videos released a few hours later now than they use to be?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

30 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

@nicklmg Are videos released a few hours later now than they use to be?

Last few days have been pretty variable due to some production constraints. We always aim for noon PT, but there is some flux in that from day to day, unfortunately.

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

"xxx Perspective" Is it the new way you decided to name videos?

"THEY DID IT TWICE! IT'S A PATTERN!"

:P

We name videos in a number of ways... This just seemed to make sense for both Airpods and MBP.

Just now, nicklmg said:

"THEY DID IT TWICE! IT'S A PATTERN!"

:P

We name videos in a number of ways... This just seemed to make sense for both Airpods and MBP.

Hahaha :P I kinda look like this tho... 

Love it tho, but I expected more hate towards Apple in the title :D

i always wanted to post "First" when i actually am on the thread  first hand & then i realize i'm actually a week late in reality :(

sad-pepe-640x480.jpg

Details separate people.

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

Hahaha :P I kinda look like this tho... 

Love it tho, but I expected more hate towards Apple in the title :D

Hard to hate on the MBP as a whole - it has some very dumb aspects, but overall it's still a good laptop.

Just now, nicklmg said:

Hard to hate on the MBP as a whole - it has some very dumb aspects, but overall it's still a good laptop.

I agree ! This is what most haters don't want to see, it's the attention to the little details that make people like it. 

As someone who generally likes apple, I pretty much agreed with everything said. Though I would have liked to see a more comprehensive battery testing than the "It's less than advertised" at the end of the video.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

21 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Last few days have been pretty variable due to some production constraints. We always aim for noon PT, but there is some flux in that from day to day, unfortunately.

Still just a great as always though.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

I wasn't expecting a lot from this review initially after the RAM video about the MacBook Pro left a bad taste to me because of questionable methodology and gave a shoutout to a YouTube jerk with anger management issues. However, this review is actually quite fair and balanced. Linus highlighted the strengths and weaknesses unlike a lot of trashy people in this forum who just partakes in the Apple hate-wagon. It's good that Linus appreciates technology even if it's not for him. Although for me personally, I'm skipping Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro and wait for next year's refresh to hopefully fix the battery life. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Very well done review. I really appreciate the attention to detail in this that actually took aspects pointed out by other reviewers and even addressed the displayport thing that confused so many (Lol Louiss Rossman's struggle with it in his live review! :P). 

As someone that grew up on Apple I have to say, the one thing I like about Macbooks is the superior support and my ability to trust that they'll still be intact years later(when compared to Windows laptops in general). However, chargers are another story >.>' . In fact, my Mom to this day still uses a Macbook with a HD and 2GB DDR2 in it. It is slow when just starting Word and has crashed multiple times to the spinning wheel of death but it's still functioning and has never needed repair! (She just needs $$ to upgrade at this point >.<)

@nicklmg would you guys consider doing a series of videos on 'a day in the life of [insert LMG employee name here]' going through their routine('A Day In The Life Of Dennis' lol!)?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Despite the 13 inch not being a genuine "Pro" I think it does what it intends to do well, its just a slightly faster MacBook Air with a really nice screen.

Which realistically is what most consumers want anyway.

14 minutes ago, DKL said:

@nicklmg would you guys consider doing a series of videos on 'a day in the life of [insert LMG employee name here]' going through their routine('A Day In The Life Of Dennis' lol!)?

Highly doubt it. If we had a vlog channel then maybe? But that's not currently in the plans, sorry :(

And to be completely honest it would be very boring most of the time. "I came to work, I had a sales call, I drew up a proposal, I went home," "I came to work, I edited a video, Premiere crashed 8 times, I went home" and so on and so forth lol. It's a lot more like a "real job" than most people imagine as we're certainly on the more "corporate" end when it comes to YouTube channels. :P 

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Highly doubt it. If we had a vlog channel then maybe? But that's not currently in the plans, sorry :(

And to be completely honest it would be very boring most of the time. "I came to work, I had a sales call, I drew up a proposal, I went home," "I came to work, I edited a video, Premiere crashed 8 times, I went home" and so on and so forth lol. It's a lot more like a "real job" than most people imagine as we're certainly on the more "corporate" end when it comes to YouTube channels. :P 

Oh, wow. Okay! Yeah, I expected it to be at least a bit more exciting than that! :(

So, one final thing that's kinda beating a dead horse at this point(i've posted quite a few times about this on the page of the album itself without any response)... there's supposed to be 10 files(as advertised in the video for it) in your Christmas Album you made a while back, but only 8 are there and it has never been fixed. Why is that?

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

1 minute ago, DKL said:

Oh, wow. Okay! Yeah, I expected it to be at least a bit more exciting than that! :(

So, one final thing that's kinda beating a dead horse at this point(i've posted quite a few times about this on the page of the album itself without any response)... there's supposed to be 10 files in your Christmas Album you made a while back, but only 8 are there and it has never been fixed. Why is that?

@Slick @dezeltheintern @CPotter