52 minutes ago, pk-man said:

$3500

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA....

Did you watch the video?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 hours ago, iPolymer said:

Why does Marques Brownlee use a macbook to make his videos? Is he not considered a pro with his 4k videos? 

They didn't make any sort of joke about the 'pro' part so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. o.O 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

What about the fact that the SSD and RAM are both soldered to the logic board?

7 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

"Programmers were probably hacking linux onto a chromebook anyway"

lol, that's a great line

nearly as good as "un-apologetically plastic"

4 hours ago, poboxy said:

What about the fact that the SSD and RAM are both soldered to the logic board?

True. This was completely disregarded!

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

3 hours ago, DKL said:

They didn't make any sort of joke about the 'pro' part so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. o.O 

it felt like he was saying that they know that a pro user isn't going use this mac book for real professional work. 

3 hours ago, iPolymer said:

it felt like he was saying that they know that a pro user isn't going use this mac book for real professional work. 

If you go to around 9:45 you'll see that he:

1) Doesn't say that in ANY WAY nor is it meant to be informed

2) Explains that Apple didn't target EVERY professional, pointing out what is seen as major 'Non-PRO' features to CERTAIN PROFESSIONS.

3) "Apple has redefined the conventional product tiers in a way that, given that these things are selling like hotcakes... makes sense to people! Mainstream now means browsing Facebook, not having 100 printers and stuff connected....

...the TRUE power users? Well, those guys are going to hack the crap out of it to get the experience they want anyway!"

Basically, it isn't designed for EXTREME Professional work. It's moreso designed as a TIER ABOVE the mainstream. It is a great option for professional businesses that want something reliable, that won't break down as often as the traditional Windows laptop, and can serve as a great MOBILE workstation for their employees. 

Really, the Macbook hits what I believe is the TRUE reason laptops exist. They aren't there for matching Desktops. They are there for serving the need for a mobile workstation that you can take with you everywhere and do your work on. That's exactly why the smartphone brand Blackberry was a huge hit years ago. It advertised as a smaller version of a laptop that filled the same need. It did for some. For other professionals it just wasn't quite powerful enough, versatile enough, etc. for their needs. And that was one of the main reasons that smartphone kept advancing from there to where it is today. It is the main reason that the Macbook Pro 2016 is where it is today.

As for the price, for a professional $ usually isn't that much of an issue, especially for something used day in and day out for years on end.

Actually a pretty balanced video, positively surprised. This is why Linus should always do Apple reviews, and not Luke (he doesn't do many Apple-related videos anyways). However, I'm still annoyed at the "what, the 13" Macbook Pro only has a dual core!?!?!?" BS. The form factor doesn't allow for a HQ processor to be implemented, both due to thermal limitations as well as the fact that battery life would be less than stellar... Go ahead, show me a comparable machine with a quad core...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Who is this "PRO" guy?

If you are taking about Guys who do Video Production then check Reduser forum, they seems to be happy with it.

If you are talking about Pro gamers then I don't know why some gamer is going to buy MBP. Better to build one.

I actually do my work on a MacBook Air (Previously on a non Retina MRP with dual SSD, maxed out RAM), play games on my gaming machine or PS3.  

This gen MBP is overpriced for me and I was not able to justify paying that much, so I bought a MacBook Air. But that does not mean that it is not a good hardware.

To be honest, I like nothing about it except its OS and battery life. Why can't we have a laptop with high performance(when charging), long battery life, great keyboard and the ability to run both Windows and MacOS?

Maybe the ideal solution is like this. I have a high preformance PC at home and I do all the heavy-load works on it. Then I might need a laptop like this with me when I am not at home and I need a long battery life. Also, MBP is a good choice when I must use macOS like developing an iOS app.

4 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

Does anyone know any Macbook alternatives under $1000?

Depends on what your purpose for it is and if you want to primarily run Windows / Linux or Hackintosh Mac OS on the alternative. I recommend bringing your question over to https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/88-laptops-and-pre-built-systems/. Good luck with finding the right alternative for you! :)

8 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

The question is: what kind of 'alternative' are you looking for?

• form factor?
  • size and weight?
  • functionality/performance?

I don't think you'll find any laptop under $1000 that has the same sort of design as a MBP for under $1000.  When I use the word "design" here, I am talking about the various factors that make up a MBP.  Factors such as size, weight, battery life, specification, performance, etc.  Even in a non-Apple laptop, to get something similar you'd have to pay more or less the same.  Configure a Lenovo, Dell, HP workstation laptop (I am not talking about consumer laptops here) to have similar specs as a 15" MBP, the price becomes almost the same.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

XPS 15 and Razer Blade 14 are probably one of the best at this price range. Yes, they are more than $1000, but you can't find anything near the new MBP for under that.

On 12/22/2016 at 1:53 PM, The Belgian Waffle said:

I agree ! This is what most haters don't want to see, it's the attention to the little details that make people like it. 

Apple makes a wonderful product, albeit an under powered and over priced one. MacOS is honestly a pleasure to use, as a Windows user though I find some things to be strange. MacOS NEEDS an aero snap feature, I HATE using programs full screen and clicking and dragging to re-size is painful. As was said in the video, that trackpad is AMAZING, and as uncomfortable as the magic mouse is, the gestures are nice, and I also don't feel the need to use a mech keyboard on my mac because the wireless keyboard is honestly wonderful maybe not as good as mechanical but still good. COMMAS EVERYWHERE!!!

Software is also strong, I used Logic 9 when I had my old Macbook and I picked it up fairly quickly because the interface is superb. I just bought my iMac secondhand last week so haven't gotten to try Logic Pro X yet. I just can't support apple though even with how good their software is. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

10 hours ago, mbryant said:

MacOS is honestly a pleasure to use, as a Windows user though I find some things to be strange. MacOS NEEDS an aero snap feature, I HATE using programs full screen and clicking and dragging to re-size is painful.

I bought an app called Magnet (this is not an advertisement, it really works pretty well), and does basically what has been introduced in windows 7. As you can see in the screenshots I just took, it's pretty easy to resize anything. Keep in mind that some apps won't resize at the correct size. For exemple, iTunes won't resize at the correct size. But iTunes and the App Store are the only ones than don't work so far. It only costs 99 cents (in my region), so it's definitely worth it. 

But to be honest, I'd add more features that my Windows 10 laptop has onto OSX (I don't like the MacOS name :P). 

Also concerning the keyboard it's a pleasure than you can do a bunch of weird symbols that are useful in math class for exemple.

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 14.30.13.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 14.30.59.png

14 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The question is: what kind of 'alternative' are you looking for?

• form factor?
  • size and weight?
  • functionality/performance?

I don't think you'll find any laptop under $1000 that has the same sort of design as a MBP for under $1000.  When I use the word "design" here, I am talking about the various factors that make up a MBP.  Factors such as size, weight, battery life, specification, performance, etc.  Even in a non-Apple laptop, to get something similar you'd have to pay more or less the same.  Configure a Lenovo, Dell, HP workstation laptop (I am not talking about consumer laptops here) to have similar specs as a 15" MBP, the price becomes almost the same.

I am looking for a 13 or 14 inch laptop that can perform just as good or even better than the macbook pro 

3 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

I am looking for a 13 or 14 inch laptop that can perform just as good or even better than the macbook pro 

Dell XPS 15 or Razer Blade 14 are the closest to the best MacBook Pro. If you think the 15" are much, the InfinityEdge display will probably make it really close to a normal 14". There's also the XPS 13, which is about the same but without a dedicated GPU. Also, the KabyLake XPS has leaked, so if you want to buy it, I'd recommend waiting a bit.

On 12/22/2016 at 4:21 PM, nicklmg said:

Any news on this?  @dezeltheintern @Slick @CPotter

OK SO,,,   I have a Mac Display that has a mini port connector.  I saw a crazy adapter on the video and I NEED THAT...   What was the configuration or is there something easier?

Thanks,,

Rod

• 1 year later...

What really gets me is the Macbook has an awesome 500 nits screen. Why do ALL of the gaming laptops tend to be around 250-350 nits?? Especially the thin and light gaming laptops, not that bright!  Does MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, Asus not think we want to use these laptops outside??