Tesla introduces Solar Roof. Roof tiles that are solar panel for maximizing coverage, yet are invisible

GoodBytes
30 minutes ago, Sammael said:

Force self driving cars?  It's not mandatory to USE the self driving feature, it's just baked in in case you want to use it.  What's the problem with that?  This is more options and choice for people, not less.  Maybe you think that one day governments will force a self driving ONLY mode, but that is not in the cards anytime soon, and in the US I don't ever expect it to happen.

Also, come on, even if you like driving, imagine being stuck in rush hour traffic, and instead of wallowing in the misery, you put the car into self driving mode, recline your seat, use your phones internet connection to watch youtube videos on your large tesla display or play a pc game running off an electric battery that would give you DAYS of game time, or just lie back and listen to music... Dude, this is a freaking FANTASY world we are about to move into!

What human being would toss all that away?  That is likely to be something we can opt into anytime we want, and if we feel like driving ourselves, we can do that too.  Like seriously, there is ZERO downside to any of this, there is only upside.  

i would. because why entertain yourself on a computer or on a phone, when you can entertain yourself by driving on some twisty roads in a manual transmission car? that's all the fun i need, along with blasting music while i carve these curvy roads. i mean i'm upset that the manual transmission is seriously dying in america since americans are becoming lazier and lazier. i would LOVE to drive a stick shift sports car over a sports car with a stupid ass dual clutch transmission. sure it shifts faster, but manual transmissions are seriously more fun. this is what i'll miss out in the future. i bet you 30 years from now the manual transmission won't be a thing anymore because everybody will hate it and they see cars as a utility, with self driving cars, not as a source of fun. if i can go back 10 or 15 years where practically every car that isn't a high end expensive sports car or a heavy duty truck or suv came in a manual, because people actually liked to drive.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

this is amazing if they can get the price down/ subsidized

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Woah solar freakin roof tiles!!!!!

But seriously they require cleaning and are very expensive still, they may pay for them selves eventually but initial capital is still needed and they do degrade over time.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Is it just me or does Elon look a little wider at the waist?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

YESSSSS TESLA !!!

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

10 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I'm wondering how good they are at dealing with high winds, and how long they last.

Assuming that the average cost of roofing with *normal* shingles is defined by this equation: C = (A/100) * SCS Where C = cost, A = area, and SCS = Shingles, Cost/Square. Now, given the average cost of Electricity in cost/year Ec  and assuming that the shingles provide only exactly enough electricity to run your house, the equation for when the electrical shingles will pay off is:

Y = C/Ewhere Y = years.

I'm wondering how long the shingles will actually last for: A good roof with architectural shingles can last more than 20 years, even in areas that regularly see extremely high winds and torrential downpours. Basically, what I'm trying to say with all of this is: If Y > 20, then most likely the electrical shingles are not worth it.

That is why I like copper roofs. They will last longer then me.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

15 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Some really cool innovations, its a fantastic new invention.

this innovative innovation is really innovative

- snip-

16 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

Some really cool innovations, its a fantastic new invention.

Actually they are by no means the first one. The idea and even products exist since several years.

But with the mass manufacturing capabillity and marketing they are able to push it much more.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

driving? fun? 

lel

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

YES FOR MY HOUSE

giphy.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

20 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

Cool, I like stuff like this :)

Can I make a title change suggestion though please

"Tesla introduces Solar Roof. Roof tiles that are solar panel for maximizing coverage, yet be invisible"

should be "yet are invisible"

Not trying to be rude, just trying to help :)

Edited by GoodBytes
Reduced quote length

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Cool, I like stuff like this :)

Can I make a title change suggestion though please

"Tesla introduces Solar Roof. Roof tiles that are solar panel for maximizing coverage, yet be invisible"

should be "yet are invisible"

Not trying to be rude, just trying to help :)

Thanks! Fixed :)

I don't see why people are against driving automation. Out in the boonies or in low traffic areas I'm sure this won't be mandatory until we are all dust and bones. In high traffic areas where conflicting driving strategies and inability do do simple things like zipper "because f everybody else I'm getting three cars ahead" it will actually save an insane amount of time for all. 

Most assume their strategy saves time, when because many have this same philosophy that actually disrupts the overall pattern, it actually increases driving times for all. So yes I'd rather kick back and watch a movie than drive in traffic. 

On 30/10/2016 at 4:30 AM, straight_stewie said:

I'm wondering how good they are at dealing with high winds, and how long they last.

Assuming that the average cost of roofing with *normal* shingles is defined by this equation: C = (A/100) * SCS Where C = cost, A = area, and SCS = Shingles, Cost/Square. Now, given the average cost of Electricity in cost/year Ec  and assuming that the shingles provide only exactly enough electricity to run your house, the equation for when the electrical shingles will pay off is:

Y = C/Ewhere Y = years.

I'm wondering how long the shingles will actually last for: A good roof with architectural shingles can last more than 20 years, even in areas that regularly see extremely high winds and torrential downpours. Basically, what I'm trying to say with all of this is: If Y > 20, then most likely the electrical shingles are not worth it.

Watch the hail drop test. Tesla's holds out better than standard roofing tiles.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Watch the hail drop test. Tests holds out better than standard roofing tiles.

For impacts. What if you live in an area where the primary concern is straightline winds?
We'll see more when they release more information about them. Right now I'm having trouble finding any concrete data.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 10/29/2016 at 1:30 PM, straight_stewie said:

Y = C/Ewhere Y = years.

Every 12 years we need to redo our roof down here. It cost me 15k to do my roof last year. If I invested over 500k into solar, I would still be 40% short on electricity needs. Oh and there's that whole inclement weather thing. Thank the lord we haven't had a hurricane yet this year, but I imagine solar panels wouldn't do too well here near the coast.

Solar is great and all, but it's just not realistic right now. Advancements like this are GREAT, but in general, solar is just not efficient and cost effective enough. Solar has a long way to go still. Solar will be viable, though, eventually. 

Solar does not hold a competitive enough ROI to be viable. Forcing it before it is ready is economically dangerous. Like a computer, forcing everyone to build a 5k machine in the 90's would have ended up useless 10 year later. Just saying, slow change is what becomes permanent. 

EDIT: Although there are a lot of factors to throw into your Y = C/Eequation where I live. We have to build to a different code and the amount of rain and humidity we get degrades our tiles very quickly. I could have redone my roof for less than 10k, but that's the most simple type of tile with the lowest wind rating.

Every few years we get really bad storms and the debris is extremely significant.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

If it can remain under $30,000, it'll be a worthwhile purchase and investment.

To be honest that drop test was not that exciting. Yes the other were destroyed whilst the panel did not explode. But the panel would be worthless to use now as, even if the panel underneath survived the impact, the glass face is heavily damaged and is effectively blocking the panel, so it would need to be replaced.

Compare the cost of each tile to replace in the event of that sort of impact. 

Not to mention dust accumulation on panels would cause efficiency loss. Anywhere from 5% to 16% depending on which journal article you read.

Nice concept but I think it would struggle out in the "wild" after you factor in costs unless you are getting a government rebate or handout for doing it, which is effectively gaming the system to cover the overall losses.

I really like the idea of what they are proposing but there are some major flaws in it. 1 the sun doesn't shine on all sides of your house meaning that only part of the roof will be used to generate power. 2 the majority of panels will never be at the optimal angle for collecting the light and creating power. 3 snow buildup.(imagine the power required to put elements in those panels to keep the roof clear)

I recommend checking out eevblog for a nice video and forum post about this topic.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

That's so cool! This could really change the EV market. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

14 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

I really like the idea of what they are proposing but there are some major flaws in it. 1 the sun doesn't shine on all sides of your house meaning that only part of the roof will be used to generate power. 2 the majority of panels will never be at the optimal angle for collecting the light and creating power. 3 snow buildup.(imagine the power required to put elements in those panels to keep the roof clear)

I recommend checking out eevblog for a nice video and forum post about this topic.

Exactly, the maintenance/cost ratio of these tiles are just not practical yet. Maybe 30 years down the road.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Alright y'all, listen here

Let's say the average house uses 11,000 kilowatt-hours worth of electricity for 18/24 hours a day. Unfortunately, this isnt close to what I need, but let's just say that's a good amount for the sake of this argument, 11,000kWh. Now, let's run this little formula, P(W)=1000×E(kWh)/t(hr). Total watts in a day =(1,000 * energy(in kWh)) divided by the composition period, which is three quarters of a full day. That equals 611,111.11W. So, a conservative electrical need for 1 day we'll say is 600,000W. 

Now, I don't know where the best place is to buy Solar Panels, but I imagine there is more supply than demand. http://www.wholesalesolar.com/specials sells some. An Astronergy Solar branded solar panel pallet set advertises 6,300W for $5,200. This is the best deal I found on their site, cheapest price/watt. So, that's 20 solar panels. 20 solar panels 77.95×39.76×48.82 inches EACH. For the base draw, 600,000W, of a house you would need about 19,905 solar panels. That is $495,238.09. Okay? And that is assuming 1) there is always sunshine 2) they perform EXACTLY as advertised 100% of the time.... day and night? 3) a storm doesn't come through and fuck shit up 4) you have enough room for the nearly 20,000 solar panels 5) you somehow get free shipping AND installation... I'm just going to stop there. 

Finally, keep in mind that was a conservative estimate in power need. What kind of PSU would recommend a computer that can draw 600 watts? Probably not 600 watts :1

Let's be realistic. Solar will be great, but we are stuck in the 90's here. Early 90's.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

3 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

If it can remain under $30,000, it'll be a worthwhile purchase and investment.

In 25 years, absolutely 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Not quite so great, it trades performance [energy production] for style... and lacks some of the benefits of solar panels.

The video here pretty much sums everything up :

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-938-tesla-solar-roofs-are-they-viable/?topicseen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_c7twrajCA

At the moment I write this, video was marked by creator as private, so don't bug me saying the video doesn't work