Why do some people care about swearing?

TubsAlwaysWins

So I can sort of understand it but I am looking for other peoples thoughts.

Why do some people care so much about swearing? I get some words are definitely not OK, but most of them are fine IMO. So what is peoples deal?

I know that it isn't great to be like 'you piece of s**t' but if you just stub your toe I see nothing wrong. Thoughts?

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

To an extent, I see swearing as a lack of self control, though still better than acting in violence. 

The main reason I swear is so I dont punch someone, so I have to agree. Thanks!

Breaking things 1 day at a time

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

To an extent, I see swearing as a lack of self control, though still better than acting in violence. 

But how is saying "shit" different from saying "crap"? The association is what's different. They both mean the exact same thing.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

But how is saying "shit" different from saying "crap"? The association is what's different. They both mean the exact same thing.

I don’t differentiate the two myself. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

I don’t differentiate the two myself. 

So do you think expressing frustration in any regard is due to a lack of self-control?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

So do you think expressing frustration in any regard is due to a lack of self-control?

In myself, yes. I don't apply such a harsh standard to others. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I personally swear when i want to express my pain. If nobody is around, I probably wont swear. Kind of  like how babies cry to let others know they want something. Shit i just called myself a baby. Shit I swore. Fuck

Also, swearing at friends / bros is cool.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

My 2cents, Because there is a certain level of composure and self control socially expected of people in certain situations. I'm not really impressed if I walk into the bank or call someone about a service and hear them swearing in normal conversation (I'm also an aussie,fuck is a grammatical particle here). There's a time and place, and swearing at the wrong time takes credibility away from yourself and makes you look like a bogan. But swear when you've hurt yourself that's ok, swear around mates, workplace when customers are gone yea that's fine. Swear in normal conversation with your uni prof, the big boss at work, or a fucking cop when you actually need someone, you're just taking things away from yourself intentionally at that point.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

People swear because their jimmies are too small or they are to lazy to use big people words.:)

I swear a lot, well I only use "fucking" as a filler word, also "like" as I'm British; specifically northern British and its a common trope up here, it's annoying and I wish I could control it but its really, really difficult to do so, it's embarrassing when people call me out for it as it puts me on the spot and I just have to laugh it off, tbf though I'm not really arsed..

People think there is more self control and measurement by not swearing. This is in my experience, utterly fucking false: one is able to be perfectly reasonable in the ideas being communicated as well as fair in a reply or argument while swearing. I consider it nothing sort of thought policing: what others might find offensive should be irrelevant to the fucking ideas being discussed because if you start making shitty concessions and censoring yourself, next people start asking you to stop using even more words cause they're "microaggressions" and start changing the definition of common fucking words to win arguments through false equivalencies and other fallacies.

People should deal with people and what's being said, not how it's being fucking said.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I personally only stopped swearing because I have a kid ... swearing is to express frustration, so I don't see it as a bad thing, except when in front of young children!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I swear, but I try and pick a time and a place, i feel its not always appropriate and it just makes you look uncouth 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

some see it as Uncomfortable/non-social/unwelcoming/potential threat/insulting,  automatically associate with lack of self control/ general manners / degrading self value etc..etc..

Cant blame them tho

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

some see it as Uncomfortable/non-social/unwelcoming/potential threat/insulting,  automatically associate with lack of self control/ general manners / degrading self value etc..etc..

Cant blame them tho

That's fucking bullshit.

See in this little instance by swearing I simply showed that I disagree with you. So based on this, what kind of person do you think I am?

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

To me swearing defines the strength at which I mean something. Basically if I'm swearing, I'm being very serious about what I'm talking about.

I hate California.

5 minutes ago, Harambe Did Not Die A Hero said:

That's fucking bullshit.

See in this little instance by swearing I simply showed that I disagree with you. So based on this, what kind of person do you think I am?

34C79C8600000578-3617443-image-a-17_1464

That kinda guy ^^     #DicksOut

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

34C79C8600000578-3617443-image-a-17_1464

That kinda guy ^^     #DicksOut

That guys just shows respect to another fellow dead gorilla, which I adore. He is a "good" person.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

People think there is more self control and measurement by not swearing. This is in my experience, utterly fucking false: one is able to be perfectly reasonable in the ideas being communicated as well as fair in a reply or argument while swearing. I consider it nothing sort of thought policing: what others might find offensive should be irrelevant to the fucking ideas being discussed because if you start making shitty concessions and censoring yourself, next people start asking you to stop using even more words cause they're "microaggressions" and start changing the definition of common fucking words to win arguments through false equivalencies and other fallacies.

People should deal with people and what's being said, not how it's being fucking said.

I couldn't agree more. "Swearing" is merely how we choose to define words within our own language that could be deemed offensive, but that's not the same thing as them being inherently bad or diminishing of the overall intention of the speaker. As Godlygamer says, it largely comes down to the association with something that's actually quite abstract. As with every other part of language, the meaning of a word is something that shifts and changes as time goes on. For every occasion where someone might assume that swearing is a lack of decency or control, you might equally ask; why do you respond to swearing in that way? There's as much reason to query the reaction to it as there is the ingrained notion of "bad language" itself.

For me, it's purely about context. If the swearing could be considered genuinely harmful i.e. used at an unsuitable time (perhaps in front of young children) or is intended as a verbal attack on someone, then no, I'm not okay with it. If you're swearing loudly in public without good reason, it's probably just because you're a prick. But, being against swearing as a default? That seems like unnecessary censorship, and avoidance of some truly wonderful parts of human language and communication. I see no need to limit myself in that way, with one or two caveats of course.