Why do some people care about swearing?

TubsAlwaysWins
22 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So I can sort of understand it but I am looking for other peoples thoughts.

Why do some people care so much about swearing? I get some words are definitely not OK, but most of them are fine IMO. So what is peoples deal?

I know that it isn't great to be like 'you piece of s**t' but if you just stub your toe I see nothing wrong. Thoughts?

Because some pople rather worry about trivial rubbish instead of actually important subjects like increasing inequality and corruption.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

20 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

I personally swear when i want to express my pain. If nobody is around, I probably wont swear. Kind of  like how babies cry to let others know they want something. Shit i just called myself a baby. Shit I swore. Fuck

Also, swearing at friends / bros is cool.

Well like fucking hell, I might use to convey like displeasure or moderate anger or disappointment.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Swearing is taboo simply because society has made those swear words socially unacceptable.

the same holds true for body gestures which hold certain associations that are similarly unacceptable by society standards.  Showing your middle finger to someone is a good example.

What i find interesting is how countries that speak the same languages can have words that are acceptable in one country, but not acceptable in another.

For instance in the states the word "fag" is not acceptable as it is a derogatory term used disparagingly against LGBT individuals, but in Britain it means something very different. 

I just swear to control my tone. I can seem incredibly dry and monotonous if I don't call some things "damned" or whatnot.

Personally, I'd rather kids learn the whole vulgar spectrum than use the word "LOL" in actual conversation.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Swearing is unprofessional and, in most cases, shows a lack of self control.

There are plenty of 'places' for swearing (garage, sporting events, political debates, bathroom) but rarely accepted or tolerated in a professional environment.

I've never cared if someone was swearing on the internet. Hell, I was basically crowned most vulgar person on PCPartPicker (even if didn't particularly like it). What I do have a problem with is stupid kids swearing at or around adults. That shit really gets on my nerves, like you're not grown, stop acting like you are.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I've never cared if someone was swearing on the internet. Hell, I was basically crowned most vulgar person on PCPartPicker (even if didn't particularly like it). What I do have a problem with is stupid kids swearing at or around adults. That shit really gets on my nerves, like you're not grown, stop acting like you are.

Ok thanks. One of the things that annoys me is that Swearing is 'Adult Language' while being Immature, so people need to make up their minds on who can use it. IMO It is adult language since adults know more of when to use it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

On 10/19/2016 at 2:02 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

To an extent, I see swearing as a lack of self control, though still better than acting in violence. 

3 minutes ago, Dark said:

Swearing is only related to self-control to the extent that you commit to not swearing. Otherwise, it's not related to self-control at all. You could decide to stop using the word "day", and then every time you say "have a nice day" it would be a lack of self-control for you.

So, it only becomes a matter of self control once you decide to avoid swearing, which you may do among other things because it is frowned upon, which leads back to OP's question: why?

But if you don't mind swearing yourself, and you don't intend to avoid swearing on purpose, then swearing doesn't say anything about your self control.

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Ok thanks. One of the things that annoys me is that Swearing is 'Adult Language' while being Immature, so people need to make up their minds on who can use it. IMO It is adult language since adults know more of when to use it

It's immature if used in a professional connotation.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's immature if used in a professional connotation.

I can definitely agree with that. I would probably be fired if I swore where I work since it is a religious organization. Its funny because my dad is one of the higher up people in the company and he will swear every now and then in the office (In context of course. So nothing like 'You are a piece of shit'. Mainly just swearing at companys (Not to their face) about their trash service

Breaking things 1 day at a time

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It's immature if used in a professional context.

I've always hated professionalism. Sure, a certain degree of it is usually good for serious things, but it's more important to know what you're doing and do it well.

That sort of professionalism is only really reasonable in PR, where the idea is to offend as few people as possible.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

20 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Swearing is only related to self-control to the extent that you commit to not swearing. Otherwise, it's not related to self-control at all. You could decide to stop using the word "day", and then every time you say "have a nice day" it would be a lack of self-control for you.

So, it only becomes a matter of self control once you decide to avoid swearing, which you may do among other things because it is frowned upon, which leads back to OP's question: why?

But if you don't mind swearing yourself, and you don't intend to avoid swearing on purpose, then swearing doesn't say anything about your self control.

A lack of self control has been observed/studied as one of many reasons why an individual swears (outside of brain damage).  There's a great theory from Timothy Jay, you should read it.  https://web.stanford.edu/class/linguist1/Rdgs/jay00.pdf

Weak Motives Strong Restraints

strong religiosity

preconventional and conventional morality (with authority salient)

high level of sex anxiety

middle-age ; middle-cl ass status

high self-control

normal consciousness

history of being punished for cursing

introverted

lack of role model for cursing

Moderate Motives

teenagers

mental disorders, conduct disorders

weak religiosity

postconventional morality

low sex anxiety

lack of self-control

altered (alcohol) consciousness

history of being rewarded for cursing

extraverted

role model for cursing

impulsive personality

13 hours ago, Dark said:

A lack of self control has been observed/studied as one of many reasons why an individual swears (outside of brain damage).  

Among individuals with a preference for not swearing, or among individuals who are indifferent between swearing or not?

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Among individuals with a preference for not swearing, or among individuals who are indifferent between swearing or not?

I'm sure it can go either way but I think the more important part to this is that it only applies to a society where the majority frowns upon swearing.  

I really only swear when Im trying to emphasize something. Its like saying shut up to someone 3 times after that its DUDE SHUT THE FUCK UP 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

17 hours ago, Dark said:

There are plenty of 'places' for swearing (garage, sporting events, political debates, bathroom) but rarely accepted or tolerated in a professional environment.

the bedroom is also a place for it :D

16 hours ago, Dark said:

A lack of self control has been observed/studied as one of many reasons why an individual swears (outside of brain damage).  There's a great theory from Timothy Jay, you should read it.  https://web.stanford.edu/class/linguist1/Rdgs/jay00.pdf

By your own admission, this is a minor part of a much larger picture (bold added for emphasis). Yet, you appear to be focusing on the self-control element as if it is pivotal. Rightly or wrongly, this in itself shows a tendency (at least from my perspective) towards a self-satisfy argument as to why you personally do not swear. It's something that that speaks to you, but may also become grounds for judging others. It ignores (perhaps knowingly of course) the cultural differences from one country to the next and in some cases the very meaning of words themselves. If you're in the UK, "smoking a fag" or "kicking some in the fanny" has very different meanings to their US counterparts.

Some of the assumptions made on "curse words" in your link to Timothy Jay's theory require further consideration, otherwise the theory stumbles at times. For example, the conclusion of chapter two states that "curse words are words we are not supposed to say". 'Supposed' is the important word there, because it is associated with the hypothetical or something that is implied; it is believed, but not factual per se. This comes back to the attitudes of the individual, the group, the culture or the country in question. 

Watch a typical prime-time US chat show, and then watch the equivalent UK show (such as Graham Norton). The difference between general accepted attitudes towards swearing in such an environment is very distinctive, to the extent that US guests who are new to the show look genuinely shocked when the swears are rolled out. Perhaps US middle class holds certain values of 'decorum' more strongly, perhaps there's a stronger religious following, or a greater association with swearing being a crutch of the working class. But if you lessen the association of the "bad" part of "bad language", then it's merely language that at certain times might be a little unsuitable but is otherwise harmless. For me at least, this lessens the argument for control being the crux of the argument, at least from the perspective of someone who lives in a different country from you. That's absolutely not to say that it shouldn't be studied as a bigger part of human language, social observations and neurological issues etc, but very nature of 'bad language' itself is not universal.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/jun/09/public-relaxed-over-tv-swearing

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151109-english-speakers-or-not-brits-and-americans-swear-in-different-languages

Usually the society norm that a person grows up around that determines what words are consider swear words.  Can also be personal preference as well.

Myself, I could care less.  I spent six years in aircraft maintenance around a pile of guys.  We pretty much swear every darn day, usually at the aircraft.  :P  Of course around strangers or in public I try to tone down.  Well, at least back here in the South lands.  People here tend to get miffed if you use swear words....seriously they consider crud a swear word.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, Quinnbeast said:

By your own admission

Spoiler

, this is a minor part of a much larger picture (bold added for emphasis). Yet, you appear to be focusing on the self-control element as if it is pivotal. Rightly or wrongly, this in itself shows a tendency (at least from my perspective) towards a self-satisfy argument as to why you personally do not swear. It's something that that speaks to you, but may also become grounds for judging others. It ignores (perhaps knowingly of course) the cultural differences from one country to the next and in some cases the very meaning of words themselves. If you're in the UK, "smoking a fag" or "kicking some in the fanny" has very different meanings to their US counterparts.

Some of the assumptions made on "curse words" in your link to Timothy Jay's theory require further consideration, otherwise the theory stumbles at times. For example, the conclusion of chapter two states that "curse words are words we are not supposed to say". 'Supposed' is the important word there, because it is associated with the hypothetical or something that is implied; it is believed, but not factual per se. This comes back to the attitudes of the individual, the group, the culture or the country in question. 

Watch a typical prime-time US chat show, and then watch the equivalent UK show (such as Graham Norton). The difference between general accepted attitudes towards swearing in such an environment is very distinctive, to the extent that US guests who are new to the show look genuinely shocked when the swears are rolled out. Perhaps US middle class holds certain values of 'decorum' more strongly, perhaps there's a stronger religious following, or a greater association with swearing being a crutch of the working class. But if you lessen the association of the "bad" part of "bad language", then it's merely language that at certain times might be a little unsuitable but is otherwise harmless. For me at least, this lessens the argument for control being the crux of the argument, at least from the perspective of someone who lives in a different country from you. That's absolutely not to say that it shouldn't be studied as a bigger part of human language, social observations and neurological issues etc, but very nature of 'bad language' itself is not universal.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/jun/09/public-relaxed-over-tv-swearing

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20151109-english-speakers-or-not-brits-and-americans-swear-in-different-languages

Of course, and that's why it's heavily dependent on the society of which you live.  I can't walk up to a coworker (in the states) and ask if I can "bum a fag" without potentially offending the individual.  

And I do swear, just not in an environment where it's unwelcome (doing so may alter ones perspective of me, especially in a professional environment).

I don't see a problem with swearing on television considering the point of some shows is to exaggerate or mimic emotion, sometimes more heavily then what you would normally see in the 'real world'.  This is certainly not a blanket for all cursing on television or in general.

34 minutes ago, Dark said:

- things -

Thanks for clarifying those points - appreciated. I'll be sure & digest that Timothy Jay pdf a bit more thoroughly when I've got some time to spare. Couldn't agree more that 'emotional speech' is something that's missing some more robust studies.