Apple’s new MacBook Pro might ditch regular USB ports

Article from The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13314972/apple-macbook-pro-late-2016-rumors-no-usb-ports

Apple has long been rumored to be preparing to launch an updated MacBook Pro model this year. While the company's iPhone event came and went without a mention of Macs, recent rumors have suggested the new MacBook Pro may arrive at an event on October 27th. A new report from Macotakara suggests that Apple is still planning to launch its new MacBook Pro later this month, and the company might unveil a refreshed 13-inch MacBook Air at the same time.

Apple is said to be including USB Type-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports on the new MacBook Pro, and ditching traditional USB ports and the company's MagSafe charging connector. That might surprise potential MacBook Pro owners, but it's the same strategy that Apple used in its 12-inch MacBook. Many will be hoping that Apple manages to squeeze more than one USB Type-C port inside the new MacBook Pro, though, and that it leaves the headphone jack alone for now.

Apple's new MacBook Pro is also expected to include a "Dynamic Function Row," which replaces the top row of function keys with a touchscreen OLED strip that allows keys to be dynamic to match applications. Apple is also reportedly slimming down the MacBook Pro to include a flatter keyboard.

On the MacBook Air side, Macotakara reports that Apple will kill off the 11-inch version of its popular laptop in favor of the 13-inch model. Previous reports suggest that Apple may also include USB Type-C on the new MacBook Air, which could mean the Air will also lose its traditional USB ports.

I'm not ecstatic with this. Anyone who has used a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air knew that one of its best features is the MagSafe connector. Also, losing the Type A USB port is a no no for something like the MacBook Pro. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This is where we find out the macbook pro is only 10mm thick with the air being 8mm and the new macbook being 5mm xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Tarzan said:

And where am I supposed to put my G602 USB dongle? 

It will still have USB ports just that they are type C not A, and thunderbolt 3 is also compatible with USB devices.

I don't see a big issue with this. it will suck that some stuff you may need a adapter but it is not like they don't have any USB ports. and I am fine with replacing mag charge port for a USB type c/thunderbolt port

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

It will still have USB ports just that they are type C not A, and thunderbolt 3 is also compatible with USB devices.

I don't see a big issue with this. it will suck that some stuff you may need a adapter but it is not like they don't have any USB ports. and I am fine with replacing mag charge port for a USB type c/thunderbolt port

Yeah, such an elegant solution:

Image result for 1 port macbook adapters

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

such form factor, much convenient

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm with @Misanthrope . I don't want to have to pay another $15-$20 for a splitter.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

I'm with @Misanthrope . I don't want to have to pay another $15-$20 for a splitter.

I defiantly don't agree with that 1 port design, but if it had like 2 USB type c and 2 thunderbolts that would be fine.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I defiantly don't agree with that 1 port design, but if it had like 2 USB type c and 2 thunderbolts that would be fine.

If that's the case, then yeah. But it's not, so no go.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

If that's the case, then yeah. But it's not, so no go.

what do you mean its not? its not even out how do you know?

what do you mean its not? its not even out how do you know?

I'm not putting that much faith in Apple. 

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

I'm not putting that much faith in Apple. 

Well if they make the pro with only 1 or 2 ports then they have lost it. the pro should the the work horse laptop from apple so they should expect a few things needs to be plugged in like a monitor, HDD box, charger.

Well if they make the pro with only 1 or 2 ports then they have lost it. the pro should the the work horse laptop from apple so they should expect a few things needs to be plugged in like a monitor, HDD box, charger.

Again. Personally don't have that much faith in Apple.

Really, they're leaving the headphone jack?  I actually am genuinely surprised... I guess they're not as confident (or should I say courageous xD) as I thought.  Way to do something and then not commit to it -_-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind. All mine are used for are a USB to Ethernet adapter, and very rarely plugging in my iPhone - both of which is just a case of swap to USB C cables.

Would be nice to see them leave at least one of the old USB ports. For the people who got that nice mouse they liked and would not want to spend more money getting the same mouse on USB C. I find that having converters/dongles is more silly than how thick a device can be.

6 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Would be nice to see them leave at least one of the old USB ports. For the people who got that nice mouse they liked and would not want to spend more money getting the same mouse on USB C. I find that having converters/dongles is more silly than how thick a device can be.

I don't think removing USB Type A is for thinness reasons but rather to help drop an old standard. 

I both like and dislike the move to USB-C for power. On the one hand, it's nice for obvious reasons, but on the other hand, magsafe is great. There are already USB-C "magsafe" adapters from third parties....so there's always that, but it would be nice if it came with one. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 7.59.13 PM

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

removing standard USB(usb A) port completely would even for apple be one of the few ways to kill a good productline like the macbook pro, I get the idea of moving forward and all that, but you can live in a studio or mobile(workstation) set-up with just 1 or 2 USB-C connections, especially not if one is meant for powering your system.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't think removing USB Type A is for thinness reasons but rather to help drop an old standard. 

I both like and dislike the move to USB-C for power. On the one hand, it's nice for obvious reasons, but on the other hand, magsafe is great. There are already USB-C "magsafe" adapters from third parties....so there's always that, but it would be nice if it came with one. 

While I do agree that USB C is better (for obvious reasons), but I think it is just too soon to drop the old USB Type A standard. There are still probably millions of devices that use the USB Type A standard, and its not like companies have completely stopped making USB Type A devices either. In my honest opinion, a standard becomes old when most new devices on the market has switched. Yet, I still see new mouse, keyboards, and even computer cases that do not even use USB-C.

The fastest way to make it a standard is for all manufacturers allow us to exchange our old USB devices to the new USB-C devices for free, but that's not even close to reality.

4 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

While I do agree that USB C is better (for obvious reasons), but I think it is just too soon to drop the old USB Type A standard. There are still probably millions of devices that use the USB Type A standard, and its not like companies have completely stopped making USB Type A devices either. In my honest opinion, a standard becomes old when most new devices on the market has switched. Yet, I still see new mouse, keyboards, and even computer cases that do not even use USB-C.

The thing is, it's cheaper for manufacturer's to produce just a single device rather than two, so companies won't switch from Type-A to type-C mass production until there is a reason to (i.e. computers don't have type-A anymore).

At some point there is going to be some pain over the switch, I just assume get it over with so we can all start switchin everything over to USB-C (and adapters are always a solution for anyone who doesn't want to re-buy everything -- an adapter wouldn't be particularly big/expensive). The most annoying switch (imo) will be with flash drives -- an adapter for a wired mouse isn't really an issue, many external HDDs have a detachable cable (and an adapter wouldn't be too bad for them either), but flash drives aren't as "easy" to adapt to type-c....although they're also cheap, so whatever)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

this is fuckin stupid

just get rid of all the ports -

wireless charging and wireless data transfer

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.