MS Paint does 3D, and it is awesome

GoodBytes

Twitter user WalkingCat leaks out Microsoft videos on the new MS Paint for Windows 10.

This isn't just the old paint program with a new look. It has new features and some pretty cool ones.

One of the features highlighted is able to draw 2D objects and turn them into 3D and make 3D models  that you can share to other via a community platform.

You can now have some sort of layers system, depth control (needed for 3D), you can select drawn objects and rotate and scale them with ease, draw specifically on 3D objects, better drawing tools, and more. And of course, it supports high-precision pen that Microsoft like to push.

It is believed that Microsoft will showcase this video, and probably others at the coming up event later this month on October 23rd.

The Verge says:

Microsoft is building a Windows 10 version of its famous Paint tool. While the software maker has barely updated Paint in recent releases of Windows, the new Paint app will be completely overhauled. Twitter user WalkingCat has discovered video demonstrations of the new app, and it's clearly designed with Windows 10 in mind.

A launch video notes that the new "Paint Preview" app includes all the familiar features of the regular version of Paint, but Microsoft is adding in 3D object support — an ideal addition for HoloLens. Paint Preview users will be able to create 3D objects, and annotate them freely. Microsoft has a range of markers and art tools to help artists create objects, and brushes that can be used directly on 3D objects. All of the tools appear to be pen- and touch-friendly, with an interface that mixes 3D models, 2D images, stickers, and community tools for 3D content.

Here are some leaked pictures of several months ago of the new Paint program. So, of course, as it is in development (especially old) things might be different.

2016-05-04_14-43-55.png

2016-05-04_14-44-23-1.png

2016-05-04_14-44-54.png

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13207612/microsoft-paint-windows-10-app

Source 2: https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-modernizing-paint-windows/

What do you think of the new Paint app?

I think it is pretty cool that the app has some unique features, and gives a reason to use it after all these years.

Could this be the new AutoCAD we've been hearing of?

Good to see that Microsoft isn't abandoning one of its oldest programs to death.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Looks like they combined 3D Builder with the familiarity of MS Paint.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I like the simple demarcation thing in 3d - if that ends up being a quicker workflow to point out things I may end up using it myself.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Can they do transparent layers soon?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I am actually excited for this and I don't even draw anything.... Really looks great.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

that you can share to other via a community platform.

I really dislike these kinds of features for some reason.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If you ask me, it seems like MS is about to ruin paint. The only reason why I use paint is because it is so simple. If I wanted to use more powerful editing tools then I would just fire up Photoshop or something similar. 

I use paint for a few reasons

1) Because it's fast. Like, really fast. 

2) It is simple. I don't even like how they added anti-aliasing to paint in Vista. I just want the most basic tools imaginable, and have them all 1-click away and simple to use. 

Judging by that screenshot, the tools and settings are spread out a lot in this version. It will probably be a lot slower (and more stuff and make it an UWP program = usually make things slower). Oh and since it is an UWP program I bet it will have a bunch of annoying things about it, like not being able to run two instances of it at the same time, or multiple window sharing the same undo key (Office 365 Excel does this and it is infuriating). 

I am not sure if I am out of touch or if Microsoft is out of touch, but one of us clearly do not understand what people actually use paint for or why it is such a loved program. I think it is the simplicity that makes it so good. 

You can have multiple instances... It is a design choice not to have multiple instances. I can perfectly open several calculator, for example, no problem.

Nice to see them update included Windows programs. Looks more touch optimized of course, though less tools shown at once.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

I really dislike these kinds of features for some reason.

Probably shouldn't be using Windows in the first place then.

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Could this be the new AutoCAD we've been hearing of?

Good to see that Microsoft isn't abandoning one of its oldest programs to death.

cough cough movie maker cough cough

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

I wish they have more advanced feature such as basic layering, so I can just edit the text without using Undo multiple times.

Anyway, it is great they still took care this seems to be forgotten application to the next level. It is a very important tool, as it is simple to use and built-in to all windows computer.

Holly akldsfhjaoiea. This and Vive. Splatsdfjkl;t. Cum all over the place.

13 hours ago, Ronda said:

Probably shouldn't be using Windows in the first place then.

I have done everything in my power to prevent those kinds of things. Messed with services and he firewall and the registry, and installed a number of Firefox addons that one could only describe as paranoid.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 years ago, this would probably be a ultimate extra.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 hours ago, Notional said:

Can they do transparent layers soon?

soon™

This is a signature.

I really hate the touchscreen oriented interface. If only they would understand that different input methods require a different interface. 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@as96 I wonder if this will reinvigorate that old yet loved user drawn user pics-topic xD

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

@as96 I wonder if this will reinvigorate that old yet loved user drawn user pics-topic xD

Things could get interesting.