Microsoft to remove GWX from Windows 7 and 8.1

AlTech
Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes and the only way to make wheelchairs cheap is to cut off my legs

I need my PC for work, gaming, my editing software, camera software.... none of works on Linux, I could move to Mac OS but fuck my £8000 of steam games

Then on what grounds can you complain about the price? It is essential to your daily life, MS knows it and charges you in proportion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Then on what grounds can you complain about the price? It is essential to your daily life, MS knows it and charges you in proportion.

Just because I need it doesn't mean I cant complain about the price, im completely free to do that and still go and buy it without being a hypocrite 

MS should lower the price, heck if it was £60 not like £100 that would be better too, it would probably result in less piracy too

It certainly raises the price of budget builds significantly 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Here are some grounds:

-Privacy concerns

-Forced auto updates that disrupt worklfow and personal usage

-Very little testing with many widespread issues popping out constantly

That should entitle any potential customer to complain about price. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh yea this especially. I have a semi-dead 6970m in my work laptop so I uninstall the AMD driver and only use the basic ms driver so that i can use normal screen functions. 

But every fucking time i uninstall the driver, win 10 reinstalls that shit back again. i can't stare at a screen that is at max brightness for 12 hours everyday. Disabling all auto updates and win 10 just completely ignores it. Why? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Here are some grounds:

-Privacy concerns

-Very little testing with many widespread issues popping out constantly

That should entitle any potential customer to complain about price. 

But Microsoft won't care until the sales (and more importantly the user base) drop. It's not even about stifling piracy because they don't care. Every overpriced copy they sell is a sweet bonus but their market relies on how many people actually use the damn thing. Sure, you can complain, but you won't obtain anything. Look at how MS reacted to the slow adoption of windows 8 - they gave windows 10 away for free to make sure people installed it this time around.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

39 minutes ago, Sauron said:

At least schools usually get a discount.

If it were up to me all schools would use chromebooks or something with GNU/Linux. It would save tax money and teach people how to actually use a computer rather than how to use a specific program suite from a specific corporation (which forces them to keep buying that software because they can't use anything else). It's not out of luck that MS and Adobe are so dominant in the market.

My school does, but there is a reason windows is used. My ICT teacher was saying its cheaper to use windows, as they dont have to train staff and specific school software only works on windows (Like the register systems and server based applications) It may just be my school, but they say its cheaper in the long run. 

Just now, 226477_1454181668 said:

My school does, but there is a reason windows is used. My ICT teacher was saying its cheaper to use windows, as they dont have to train staff and specific school software only works on windows (Like the register systems and server based applications) It may just be my school, but they say its cheaper in the long run. 

It's only cheaper because that's the only thing anyone knows how to use. It is most certainly not cheaper than something that is free to use. There are applications that do what a school needs and work on linux, however since everyone uses windows you end up with incompatibilities every step of the way. No, the only reason schools use windows is that 20 years ago the government decided to start integrating computers in the educational system and since the people in charge know nothing about computers they asked for "counsel" to big companies in the industry, namely Microsoft and Adobe - both seized the chance for state sponsored advertisement and indoctrination immediately. And now, after all these years, it seems like there is no alternative because of how deeply embedded the windows environment is.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

120$ is too much for a software that is used for a minimum 3 years on people systems. I mean it is only the most complex and used software in every system running Windows mainly. They should cut the price.

But that $80 game for this 4h gameplay experience, with mode bugs than Windows Me.... NOW! that is a deal! Let me pre-order the 180$ deluxe premium edition where it is the same as the original game, but I can play my character with a white coat instead of black. Best purchase EVAR!

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's only cheaper because that's the only thing anyone knows how to use. It is most certainly not cheaper than something that is free to use. There are applications that do what a school needs and work on linux, however since everyone uses windows you end up with incompatibilities every step of the way. No, the only reason schools use windows is that 20 years ago the government decided to start integrating computers in the educational system and since the people in charge know nothing about computers they asked for "counsel" to big companies in the industry, namely Microsoft and Adobe - both seized the chance for state sponsored advertisement and indoctrination immediately. And now, after all these years, it seems like there is no alternative because of how deeply embedded the windows environment is.

Linux is a horrible idea for a school. The OS itself may be free but you are completely ignoring one crucial thing: Support. The reason schools go with Apple, MS, Adobe, etc is not just the massive discounts they get but also the business and educational support that they can get. That level of support is severely lacking from Linux. And on top of that they'd need to find and hire IT staff and techs that know Linux inside and out, which would increase the cost they have to pay them. Then they would have to spend money training every single employee to use Linux, which would take time and a ton of money, and then they'd have to train students that are only used to OSX or Windows. There would be a HUGE increase in call volume to the school's tech support, which means they'd probably need to hire additional people to handle it.

People need to stop pretending that Linux is perfect and a viable mass consumer OS. It isn't and it never will be. Linux is great for people that know what they're doing, it's great for servers, but it's shit as a mass consumer OS.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

120$ is too much for a software that is used for a minimum 3 years on people systems. I mean it is only the most complex and used software in every ones system running Windows mainly. They should cut the price.

But that 60$ for this 4h gameplay experience, with mode bugs than Windows Me.... NOW! that is a deal! Let me pre-order the 180$ deluxe premium edition where it is the same as the original game, but I can play my character with a white coat instead of black. Best purchase EVAR!

and MacOS is free while being more advance then Windows will ever be. Same for Fedora.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and MacOS is free while being more advance then Windows will ever be. Same for Fedora.

OSX comes bundled with the computer. You can't just go and download a copy of the current version and install it on any system with compatible hardware (at least not legally).

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

$119 USD for EVERYONE.

Unless you happen to be a student, then you can still get Windows 10 Education for free.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

OSX comes bundled with the computer. You can't just go and download a copy of the current version and install it on any system with compatible hardware (at least not legally).

But you can go and download the latest version or previous versions and install them on any Mac. Got El Capitan running on a 2006 iMac, how much did i pay for that? nothing. And it wasn't an update, add to use my Macbook to download El and burn it to a USB to install on the iMac

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Unless you happen to be a student, then you can still get Windows 10 Education for free.

Only if school applies to dreamspark

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

But you can go and download the latest version or previous versions and install them on any Mac. Got El Capitan running on a 2006 iMac, how much did i pay for that? nothing. And it wasn't an update, add to use my Macbook to download El and burn it to a USB to install on the iMac

Different business model. You can't compare. You pay the price in the price of the system. And update are more minor incremental, while Windows are more feature rich.

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Not necessarily, a lot of non-Dreamspark institutions still have agreements with Microsoft for Windows licenses, and in some countries there are networks on the national level that have agreements for free access.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Installing the patch right now. Everything about W10 can get the hell out of my PC, thanks very much.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

Not really. Such school could offer Windows for $10-15 (same for Office) for faculty, staff and students, there is such a program, which is isn't extra for schools. They just need to register (usually they are).

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Different business model. You can't compare. You pay the price in the price of the system. And update are more minor incremental, while Windows are more feature rich.

Mac updates are also a lot more regular than major Windows ones, so feature-richness in the longterm is fairly similar.

My Build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

going from Leopard to El Capitan is not just an incremental update and i still didn't have to pay for it. Same for Leopard since that iMac originally came with Tiger

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When you buy a PC from a store, that comes with windows, you pay for it too, or a windows phone, winows tablet or many other things, lets not forget having to pay lots of money for office too

Its still considerably expensive

if somebody is still on 7 or 8, its a LOT of money for them to pay to upgrade

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

19 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Linux is a horrible idea for a school. The OS itself may be free but you are completely ignoring one crucial thing: Support. The reason schools go with Apple, MS, Adobe, etc is not just the massive discounts they get but also the business and educational support that they can get. That level of support is severely lacking from Linux. And on top of that they'd need to find and hire IT staff and techs that know Linux inside and out, which would increase the cost they have to pay them. Then they would have to spend money training every single employee to use Linux, which would take time and a ton of money, and then they'd have to train students that are only used to OSX or Windows. There would be a HUGE increase in call volume to the school's tech support, which means they'd probably need to hire additional people to handle it.

People need to stop pretending that Linux is perfect and a viable mass consumer OS. It isn't and it never will be. Linux is great for people that know what they're doing, it's great for servers, but it's shit as a mass consumer OS.

There are paid support options for Linux, ever heard of Red Hat, SuSe, Oracle? Again, most of your points revolve around the fact that Linux is much less used than Windows on the desktop. This is a problem that stems from the root, not something you can easily fix now. 

The Linux kernel and architecture is vastly superior to Windows, what it lacks is commercial software and highly sophisticated desktop solution - this is exclusively because the low user base makes it a risky investment. In the end Mac OS works on similar principles, but I don't think you would call it not viable as a consumer os. Android is based on the Linux kernel. iOS is based on Unix. It's nonsense to say it will "never" be viable. All it takes is investments and adoption.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Centurius said:

Mac updates are also a lot more regular than major Windows ones, so feature-richness in the longterm is fairly similar.

Yes, such as Siri on the new MacOS where it is more of an independent app, not integrated to Spotlight or third party installed software, and you can't type to ask things. Half baked much? I mean I know Windows has bugs, but at least things are more complete. How many iteration are needed to get it like Cortana?