Microsoft to remove GWX from Windows 7 and 8.1

AlTech
Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

I dunno, monolithic kernels don't really appeal to me.

Do you prefer the disaster that is the Windows kernel? It is pretty much the result of make-work patches applied on something that was hindered by dos retrocompatibility to begin with and has only become worse in time.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Do you prefer the disaster that is the Windows kernel? It is pretty much the result of make-work patches applied on something that was hindered by dos retrocompatibility to begin with and has only become worse in time.

WNT has no DOS compatibility whatsoever and any DOS compatibility it did have was handled by VM/emulator layer which Microsoft gives lip service support to (as in, they don't really care if you use it anymore). If you need something on DOS, use DOSBox.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol. And the thing is that, my school now probably have to pay for all the Windows 10 upgrades for laptops.........

Since they're upgrading all staff laptops to Windows 10.

TBH, unless they do a fresh install on each computer instead of the usual re-imaging, they will see quite a few problems. Even desktops at the highschool my Mum works at, all laptops which get re-imaged have multiple issues which can at times actually beak the laptop entirely or make them useless-almost as useless as the old Celeron M380 laptops they had 5-6  years ago.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

WNT has no DOS compatibility whatsoever and any DOS compatibility it did have was handled by VM/emulator layer which Microsoft gives lip service support to (as in, they don't really care if you use it anymore). If you need something on DOS, use DOSBox.

DOSBox can't run some DOS programs properly though, so its actually better to get Windows 98SE and install the unofficial service pack 3 (last updated in July).

PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

DOSBox can't run some DOS programs properly though, so its actually better to get Windows 98SE and install the unofficial service pack 3 (last updated in July).

You could also get a VM. The only problem is if you need to plug in hardware that's too old for modern computers.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You could also get a VM. The only problem is if you need to plug in hardware that's too old for modern computers.

Which in my case is frequently, so Pentium III1GHz+Voodoo 2 SLI FTW.

PMSL

3 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

120$ ? tell me when its 0$ must be crazy to pay for spyware

If you're worried about your OS spying on you, you should be more worried about your router or your ISP.

Once the packet leaves your computer, it's at the mercy of the next hop.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're worried about your OS spying on you, you should be more worried about your router or your ISP.

Once the packet leaves your computer, it's at the mercy of the next hop.

VPN can get around security issues with routers and your ISP....how can you get around MSW X.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

VPN can get around security issues with routers and your ISP....how can you get around MSW X.

Nope. Anything that touched your modem or router, your ISP knows. It gets directed to its servers to redirect to a destination.

Packets can be read. Encrypted data transferred can be decrypted.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Nope. Anything that touched your modem or router, your ISP knows. It gets directed to its servers to redirect to a destination.

Packets can be read. Encrypted data transferred can be decrypted.

Not easily. And remember-there isn't just 1 ISP providing service to the entire world....

PMSL

13 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not easily. And remember-there isn't just 1 ISP providing service to the entire world....

Your direct ISP is your direct ISP. Anything that touches your modem, your ISP knows. Your ISP is whom will push out your packets to other interconnected ISPs/routers (basically, the Internet)

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol. And the thing is that, my school now probably have to pay for all the Windows 10 upgrades for laptops.........

Since they're upgrading all staff laptops to Windows 10.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think that Schools can choose to use Windows 10 Education edition for free but Pro Edition isn't for them.

My school used Win7 Pro but I think they upgraded to win7 enterprise. I'm sort of surprised they didn't bother upgrading them to Win10.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Figure out where home is and use a HOSTS file to block it?

For security reasons, Windows does not follow the HOST file for the telemetry data collected and the use of Cortana and other services. This is done is that malware can't redirect traffic to its own servers and attempt to monitor you.

10 minutes ago, wcreek said:

My school used Win7 Pro but I think they upgraded to win7 enterprise. I'm sort of surprised they didn't bother upgrading them to Win10.

Usually companies and schools wait 2 to 3 years before upgrading their systems to a new version of Windows. They want to be sure that not only Windows 10 drivers are out, but also polished, and that any software that might have issues are Windows 10 ready, again polished as well, and that Microsoft fixes most of the bugs discovered. Once there, they work on doing testing of software, planning the upgrade, change whatever needs to be changed in their configurations, upgrade what ever hardware they need to or want to, and once all that passes, now they'll upgrade wide to Windows 10.

3 hours ago, Derangel said:

The problem is without the user base it's not going to get the support and without the support it's not going to get the user base. Desktop Linux isn't going to be the dominate OS and the chances of it ever being a viable consumer OS are incredibly slim. Especially with the desktop and laptop markets shrinking as more and more people are using their phones for everything. Linux has come an incredibly long way just in the past five years but by the time all the major issues are worked out most of the market will be gone.

well... if the mobile market becomes the predominant one, technically, Linux has already won

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Usually companies and school wait 2 to 3 years before upgrading their system. They want to be sure that not only Windows 10 drivers are out, but also polished, and that any software that might have issues are Windows 10 ready, and that Microsoft fixes most of the bugs discovered.

I was sort of thinking that my district/school probably won't be on Win10 by the time I graduate. I graduate in 2018.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Usually companies and schoosl wait 2 to 3 years before upgrading their system to a new version of Windows. They want to be sure that not only Windows 10 drivers are out, but also polished, and that any software that might have issues are Windows 10 ready, again polished as well, and that Microsoft fixes most of the bugs discovered.

Pretty much. I had to leave half my company on windows 7/8 because of a web based application that uses silverlight as a base api. Some issie with Win10 version of IE wasnt compatable. 

The makers of said app gave up and are releasing an html5 version instead of continuing to develop for silverlight. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

well... if the mobile market becomes the predominant one, technically, Linux has already won

Well Android isn't like a full blown Linux distro. But it does share the Linux kernel so yes, yes it has already one.

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Pretty much. I had to leave half my company on windows 7/8 because of a web based application that uses silverlight as a base api. Some issie with Win10 version of IE wasnt compatable. 

The makers of said app gave up and are releasing an html5 version instead of continuing to develop for silverlight. 

Good because, all web browsers annonced that they will disable plugin support. Edge already has no plug-in support (beside built-in Flash)

Wow the student discount is awful this time around.

I guess they want to sell Surface Book, and Pro 4 rather than standalone OS. 

24 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Wow the student discount is awful this time around.

I guess they want to sell Surface Book, and Pro 4 rather than standalone OS. 

Exactly. Selling experiences on devices. Not to mention that Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 comes with Windows 10 Pro.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I guess I wont be upgrading to windows 10 anytime soon. I just can't let go of windows 7 and upgrade to windows 10 which seems far worse in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, MastuhWaffles said:

I guess I wont be upgrading to windows 10 anytime soon. I just can't let go of windows 7 and upgrade to windows 10 which seems far worse in my opinion.

If you upgraded before, you are always eligible (as long as you keep that system) to upgrade for free to Windows 10. So, you can try Win10 at a later date when you feel it better suits you. So, that is nice.