Ask a Microcenter Employee

Rune

Do you have any plans to expand in New England?

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Can you come to Canada? We need a tech store because NCIX is legit in downtown toronto

Most likely not any time soon. Multinational companies have to deal with a lot more regulation. We're still tiny, you know?

2 hours ago, jaffer said:

which micro center do you work in

Can't answer that one, sorry.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd fucking love a Micro Center up in Huntsville.

Too bad that won't happen :^(

I've been to Huntsville to visit my grandparents. Nice place. Probably right about Microcenter not going there though. Not too many tech oriented people around :P Though...I vaguely remember there being a Frys down there?

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Do you have any plans to expand in New England?

Like before, most of the expansion has been going on out west, but it seems to have stopped for the moment to focus on renovating current stores. I promise that if any new positions get offered under the "store creation" tab, I'll let you all know immediately!

Just now, Rune said:

Like before, most of the expansion has been going on out west, but it seems to have stopped for the moment to focus on renovating current stores. I promise that if any new positions get offered under the "store creation" tab, I'll let you all know immediately!

I'd love a location in Providence, if only because it's easier for me to get to Providence than Cambridge.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

I'd love a location in Providence, if only because it's easier for me to get to Providence than Cambridge.

Noted :)

Just now, Rune said:

Noted :)

Thank you! Would really help the custom PC scene in southern New England.

Is micro planning on opening up shop in the north (Canada)?

We could really use cheaper cpus deals and competition between stores like NCIX and CanadaComputers. 

20 minutes ago, GBELILREESE said:

Is micro planning on opening up shop in the north (Canada)?

We could really use cheaper cpus deals and competition between stores like NCIX and CanadaComputers. 

Afraid not at the moment. USA only.

16 minutes ago, ardoasms said:

what is your favorite thing about working at microcenter?

I greatly enjoy learning about new devices. I like being around tech in general, though :P The training is great and the people are pretty cool too, most of the time.

Any LAN parties ever take place with all the demo PCs? Would be a great way to showcase them during a fun day (hour).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Any LAN parties ever take place with all the demo PCs? Would be a great way to showcase them during a fun day (hour).

Not with the demo PCs, though we do occasionally have a bit of fun with community events here and there ^^

Just now, Rune said:

Not with the demo PCs, though we do occasionally have a bit of fun with community events here and there ^^

Could have them all ninja-running Folding@home too. Doubt most customers could tell.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Tell me about that $5 raspberry pi zero launch.  I heard that Microcenter had them on sale day 1, in store only.  Anything interesting go down?

Just now, elkenrod said:

Tell me about that $5 raspberry pi zero launch.  I heard that Microcenter had them on sale day 1, in store only.  Anything interesting go down?

Went great. They are on sale for $0.99 each now, so demand is still pretty high :)

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Could have them all ninja-running Folding@home too. Doubt most customers could tell.

Software installs without permission are a definite no-no.

Do you like your job? And if you work on the store floor, do you often have to help people make decisions and stuff?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

Do you like your job? And if you work on the store floor, do you often have to help people make decisions and stuff?

It is not my ideal job, but I do enjoy it much more than my previous ones. Helping people make decisions and giving recommendations is a daily thing. Often people will come in looking for more of an idea than an actual product, and I have to make it happen.

20 minutes ago, Rune said:

It is not my ideal job, but I do enjoy it much more than my previous ones. Helping people make decisions and giving recommendations is a daily thing. Often people will come in looking for more of an idea than an actual product, and I have to make it happen.

Thanks for the answer :) 

"All of us in the BYO/Systems area know a great deal about building, and even most in the GSA area do. The hiring process includes multiple tests on your knowledge of general technology."

Can you expand on this? Are you expected to know the basics of everything or is it accepted to for example not be an expert in photography or networking for example? And do you get any type of training or information from Micro center or do you have to learn about everything in your free time?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Thanks for the answer :) 

"All of us in the BYO/Systems area know a great deal about building, and even most in the GSA area do. The hiring process includes multiple tests on your knowledge of general technology."

Can you expand on this? Are you expected to know the basics of everything or is it accepted to for example not be an expert in photography or networking for example? And do you get any type of training or information from Micro center or do you have to learn about everything in your free time?

We do get training! Often in a form of computer learning at work or home, but they do also fly a few of us out to different vendors. We're expected to know pretty much everything inside and below our areas. So for example, networking falls under the "general" category, meaning that General, BYO, DI, and Systems are all expected to know it. For graphics cards, that is above the general area, so only BYO and above are expected to follow those.

58 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What is Microcenter?

A retail service/store in the USA known for cheap CPU and motherboard prices :)

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

Why don't you guys come here to EU? We want cheap HW as well :)

We still barely have 2 or 3 stores per state! Give it time.

I was being sarcastic.

55 minutes ago, Rune said:

A retail service/store in the USA known for cheap CPU and motherboard prices :)

Already answered. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 9/14/2016 at 2:06 AM, Canada EH said:

I was being sarcastic.

Sorry. Someone asked before so its a bit hard to tell.

Also, for those who don't already, be sure to check the closeout section of microcenter's website. I just snagged a handful of neat stuff for 3 cents.

SetWidth1024-microcenter2.jpg