Ask a Microcenter Employee

Rune

@Rune

What's the deal with the stickers? The employee stickers. 

Like I need help getting a CPU out of the case, but the employee sticks a sticker on it.  Is it for commission?

Does it help you all at all if I let you stick your sticker on a motherboard I pulled off the shelf, but needed an employee to get the CPU out of the case?

43 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

Can I get a job at my local store as a cashier? 

How old must I be?

I have experience dealing with multiple customers. 

The only thing is that I am still in high school :/   

Requirements

EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:

Our Retail Customer Service Representatives (Cashiers) are expected to have a professional appearance and demeanor and a sincere interest in helping customers. Previous cashiering or retail customer service experience is strongly preferred. The ability to communicate professionally and handle multiple customers is required. Our associates must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., stand for prolonged periods of time and, depending on the position and location, may be required to work mornings, nights, weekends and holidays. Shifts will include hours before and after the store is open to the public. A high school diploma or equivalent and knowledge of Microsoft Office are required. The ability to drive world-class customer experiences and results is a must.

Looks like a HS diploma is a requirement.

5 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

@Rune

What's the deal with the stickers? The employee stickers. 

Like I need help getting a CPU out of the case, but the employee sticks a sticker on it.  Is it for commission?

Does it help you all at all if I let you stick your sticker on a motherboard I pulled off the shelf, but needed an employee to get the CPU out of the case?

Stickers are indeed mostly for tracking commission, but they also have a link to a survey you can fill out and have our names on them for feedback. Officially, we are only supposed to label things we helped you with. If you don't offer to let us put it on other things you have, we aren't supposed to ask.

Edit: If someone does a really good job, go buy a $9 hdmi cable and let us sticker that. Cables look fantastic lol.

18 minutes ago, Rune said:

Stickers are indeed mostly for tracking commission, but they also have a link to a survey you can fill out and have our names on them for feedback. Officially, we are only supposed to label things we helped you with. If you don't offer to let us put it on other things you have, we aren't supposed to ask.

Edit: If someone does a really good job, go buy a $9 hdmi cable and let us sticker that. Cables look fantastic lol.

ok next time i go to microcenter i am going to buy a 10$ hdmi cable and ask for a sticker lol

i am going tomorrow just because anyways 

high school diploma required for  a cashier job is crazy lol 

I work at a grocery store as a bagger but could easily get training to be a cashier (except for the times where i do cashier because the cashier dissapeared off the face of the earth 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

If I was there and you did that, I would rip the sticker off.

I do that with the old farts at the front door at Walmart when you come in with a bag from another store. They are suppose to put a green sticker on your plastic bag. Also I never stop when the buzzer goes off as I leave. I love it how people are so generous and just stop. What would you guys do if I did that? Because dont you know I do sue :)

22 minutes ago, Rune said:

Then I'd have a shit load of useless HDMI cables. I let them sticker whatever I buy. I'll go over to the BYOPC part, look for the 2 guys that are over there, that are fucking super cool. Then let them sticker it and leave.(well after paying)

They always seem to go WAY out of their way to help people. So I figure I can let them put their sticker on it. 

9 minutes ago, Katsunaka said:

Then I'd have a shit load of useless HDMI cables. I let them sticker whatever I buy. I'll go over to the BYOPC part, look for the 2 guys that are over there, that are fucking super cool. Then let them sticker it and leave.(well after paying)

They always seem to go WAY out of their way to help people. So I figure I can let them put their sticker on it. 

Yeah thats what commission does. The employee's scam their way for higher earnings.

1 hour ago, Katsunaka said:

It is appreciated :)

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah thats what commission does. The employee's scam their way for higher earnings.

Perhaps in some places, but I've not seen it in my store. When people come in looking for $800 laptops recommended by their kids to look at facebook, we send them downward. A lifelong satisfied customer is better than one decent sale.

On September 11, 2016 at 5:09 PM, TetraSky said:

Oh, I see... Well, as a Canadian, it has nothing to do with me, so I'll see myself out. :ph34r:

Come visit Wisconsin.  Pretty sure we don't have a Microcenter but we do have Door County which is pretty nice.  ?

Also the Dells is a nice area to visit.

On September 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM, Rune said:

At the 5 dollar pricepoint, we had to limit them to one per customer as we had people coming in and buying them all to resell.  We now have a tiered system where the first is $0.99, and every additional is $10. As for stocking, I don't know if we were actually the only ones to get them. Probably something I should know, heh. DIY is probably our 2nd most popular section after Systems.

Edit: Looks like the website still only allows one per person, even at the new pricepoint of $0.99. Doh, silly website.

What's a Raspberry Pi Zero and why are they so cheap?

On September 12, 2016 at 0:15 AM, Rune said:

You'd have to ask them. I'd say all of their angry customers come to us, but the same thing happens with Best Buy and they are still around so... :D

Is it bad that I wish so very strongly that Best Buy would cease to exist?  >_>

The people that work at the stores near me are either idiots or poorly trained or both, the selection is awful and so are the prices, and the people in the computer area are very pushy/rude.  They tried to answer my questions about a computer once by looking up the item page for it on Best Buy.com on their cell phone.  Failed to answer my questions btw and were VERY pushy about nagging me to buy it.

Though the same goes for a local computer repair chain of stores.  The moment they realize you just want to get some information/ask questions they immediately lie about being busy/having other customers to help/phone to answer/etc. and hurry to end the phone call or in store conversation.  Also their labor charges per hour are insanely high.

On September 15, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Rune said:

Sorry. Someone asked before so its a bit hard to tell.

Also, for those who don't already, be sure to check the closeout section of microcenter's website. I just snagged a handful of neat stuff for 3 cents.

SetWidth1024-microcenter2.jpg

Any chance you could suggest that more computer parts be made available on Microcenter's site?  

It's depressing to see a 6700K for around $30 cheaper than Amazon and I can't buy it...  ?

Do you guys ship internationally (mexico) and if not, who do I contact to ask for intl shipping?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It's a very low power computer that fits in your pocket and can browse the web just fine :)

It's probably better than my college's Athlon II systems that they've got pretty much everywhere.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Do you guys ship internationally (mexico) and if not, who do I contact to ask for intl shipping?

It's a very low power computer that fits in your pocket and can browse the web just fine :)

It's probably better than my college's Athlon II systems that they've got pretty much everywhere.

I've heard of a Raspberry Pie but not this "Zero" version.  That's what I'm curious about.  

Is an Athlon II really that bad?  lol

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Perhaps in some places, but I've not seen it in my store. When people come in looking for $800 laptops recommended by their kids to look at facebook, we send them downward. A lifelong satisfied customer is better than one decent sale.

Yeah perhaps, but I trust commission salesmen about as far as I can throw 'em. Sure maybe you and yours does that, but what about the 1000 other Microcenter stores?

I got a bitter taste is all, a family member got $150 scammed on a TV tuning service from Futureshop. Its piss in the wind.

17 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Yeah perhaps, but I trust commission salesmen about as far as I can throw 'em. Sure maybe you and yours does that, but what about the 1000 other Microcenter stores?

I got a bitter taste is all, a family member got $150 scammed on a TV tuning service from Futureshop. Its piss in the wind.

So someone you know got suckered at a different store owned by a different company and you want to take it out on Microcenter?

That's fair.  /s

If all you're going to do is be all butthurt go take that crap somewhere else.

12 hours ago, Canada EH said:

If I was there and you did that, I would rip the sticker off.

I do that with the old farts at the front door at Walmart when you come in with a bag from another store. They are suppose to put a green sticker on your plastic bag. Also I never stop when the buzzer goes off as I leave. I love it how people are so generous and just stop. What would you guys do if I did that? Because dont you know I do sue :)

You must be fun at parties

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

4 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

You must be fun at parties

I suppose the irony is that generally speaking, only innocent people will stop (Not saying innocent people won't also keep going, but someone who is stealing something sure as hell isn't stopping for the alarm lol).

@Canada EH why would you peel the sticker off that they put on your bag? You realize that sticker is there for your benefit? The purpose of it is to have an easily visible way to tell if you've paid for something (Eg: you bring in a bag from Best Buy). They put it on there for you so employees don't hassle you about whether you've paid for the item or not, or whether you hid stuff inside the Best Buy bag (They're supposed to use the sticker to 'seal' the bag, but not many employees go that far).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I suppose the irony is that generally speaking, only innocent people will stop (Not saying innocent people won't also keep going, but someone who is stealing something sure as hell isn't stopping for the alarm lol).

@Canada EH why would you peel the sticker off that they put on your bag? You realize that sticker is there for your benefit? The purpose of it is to have an easily visible way to tell if you've paid for something (Eg: you bring in a bag from Best Buy). They put it on there for you so employees don't hassle you about whether you've paid for the item or not, or whether you hid stuff inside the Best Buy bag (They're supposed to use the sticker to 'seal' the bag, but not many employees go that far).

But what about the microcenter stickers? 

It doesn't take much time for them to put it on or the cashier to scan it (It also doesn't affect the product negatively either. (you don't have to do anything with it after they scan it and you can peel it off) 

And i agree with your point with the walmart stickers too

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Come visit Wisconsin.  Pretty sure we don't have a Microcenter but we do have Door County which is pretty nice.  ?

Also the Dells is a nice area to visit.

We'll see :)

17 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

A programmable custom computer board that runs linux. We use them as a media streaming server in store! Not bad for $0.99 ;)

16 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Any chance you could suggest that more computer parts be made available on Microcenter's site?  

It's depressing to see a 6700K for around $30 cheaper than Amazon and I can't buy it...  ?

Low margin items like processors will probably never be available on the website...I think they want people to come to the store in person and pick up some accessories while they are here :(

16 hours ago, Energycore said:

We don't, and I don't think there is anyone you can talk to about it. Customer relations on the website would be all I can recommend. Sorry.

15 hours ago, Canada EH said:

I wouldn't really be able to tell you about other locations, but if it ever happens and you have the specifics I'd love to know.

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Apparently there is one in vegas? Hmm... I'm going to have to visit at some point.

Cool!

5 hours ago, Sentryy said:

But what about the microcenter stickers? 

It doesn't take much time for them to put it on or the cashier to scan it (It also doesn't affect the product negatively either. (you don't have to do anything with it after they scan it and you can peel it off) 

And i agree with your point with the walmart stickers too

I don't get what you mean about the stickers for Microcenter. If you peel the sticker off and throw it out, that's cool - it just means you won't be able to do the feedback survey (If I understand the purpose of these stickers correctly - @Rune?)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I don't get what you mean about the stickers for Microcenter. If you peel the sticker off and throw it out, that's cool - it just means you won't be able to do the feedback survey (If I understand the purpose of these stickers correctly - @Rune?)

If you do that before you checkout and leave, we also don't get credit for the item you buy and we don't get paid. After you leave, yeah, its just a link to the survey with our names on them.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

We'll see :)

A programmable custom computer board that runs linux. We use them as a media streaming server in store! Not bad for $0.99 ;)

Low margin items like processors will probably never be available on the website...I think they want people to come to the store in person and pick up some accessories while they are here :(

We don't, and I don't think there is anyone you can talk to about it. Customer relations on the website would be all I can recommend. Sorry.

I wouldn't really be able to tell you about other locations, but if it ever happens and you have the specifics I'd love to know.

Cool!

But how does a Raspberry Pi Zero differ from other versions of the Raspberry Pi?  

I'd love to come in and buy some nice stuff but the closest store is somewhere in Chicago I think and crossing state lines just for computer parts is a little much to do.  Not to mention it's Chicago which imo has few redeeming things beyond some very nice museums.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

But how does a Raspberry Pi Zero differ from other versions of the Raspberry Pi?  

I'd love to come in and buy some nice stuff but the closest store is somewhere in Chicago I think and crossing state lines just for computer parts is a little much to do.  Not to mention it's Chicago which imo has few redeeming things beyond some very nice museums.

Slower processor, no built in wifi/bluetooth. Fewer USB ports on the back as well. But for $0.99 its a steal.

Edit: Mini HDMI instead of full size, as well.