Ask a Microcenter Employee

Rune

Figured I would do one of these since I haven't really seen anything similar in quite some time. So, go ahead and ask/comment what you'd like and I'll do my best to answer (or find out, for things I do not know)!

FAQ:

When is Microcenter coming to insert my city here?

I don't know. But send a message from here with your comments! The more feedback we get, the more likely it is we will expand to your area next.

How many of your co-workers don't really know to much about Building a PC or just PC tech in general?

Needs Update

14 minutes ago, clementk said:

How many of your co-workers don't really know to much about Building a PC or just PC tech in general?

All of us in the BYO/Systems area know a great deal about building, and even most in the GSA area do. The hiring process includes multiple tests on your knowledge of general technology.

13 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Is the myth true?: do you guys (assholes if this is true) really buy all the cheap on-sale stuff before anyone else can?

I'm sure it happens sometimes, though I have never seen it. Most of the people in my location aren't like that. There are cases in which certain items marked on clearance get bought just as they make it to the floor, but these are usually returns from someone who didn't set them up properly or are a remanufactured part.
Edit: On hot items like graphics cards, we actually don't get to purchase them until supply is greater than demand. So I would say the answer to your question is, no :P

So... What's microcenter, for those of us who don't know and don't want to bother with google?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

So... What's microcenter, for those of us who don't know and don't want to bother with google?

An electronics retailer in the USA, known for really low prices on processors and motherboards :)

Just now, Rune said:

An electronics retailer in the USA, known for really low prices on processors and motherboards :)

Oh, I see... Well, as a Canadian, it has nothing to do with me, so I'll see myself out. :ph34r:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Oh, I see... Well, as a Canadian, it has nothing to do with me, so I'll see myself out. :ph34r:

No worries :P

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Why can't you populate closer to my area?  The only 1-2 in my state are in Rockville and Baltimore. :/

Most areas of expansion are out west for the moment, but I'd be happy to add your request in my next weekly suggestions email. Right now a lot of stores are receiving renovations though, so I doubt any new locations will be happening in the next few years or so.

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Think of MicroCenter as kind of like CanadaComputers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Question: Microcenter was the only brick-and-mortar store to stock the Raspberry Pi Zero. Did a lot of people go in to buy it? In fact, how well do those kinds of hobby electronics sell? Just kinda curious.

58 minutes ago, kennethnakasone said:

Question: Microcenter was the only brick-and-mortar store to stock the Raspberry Pi Zero. Did a lot of people go in to buy it? In fact, how well do those kinds of hobby electronics sell? Just kinda curious.

At the 5 dollar pricepoint, we had to limit them to one per customer as we had people coming in and buying them all to resell.  We now have a tiered system where the first is $0.99, and every additional is $10. As for stocking, I don't know if we were actually the only ones to get them. Probably something I should know, heh. DIY is probably our 2nd most popular section after Systems.

Edit: Looks like the website still only allows one per person, even at the new pricepoint of $0.99. Doh, silly website.

Questions:

1. On your "clearance and refurbished" motherboard rack/shelf , do you actually test the boards to see if they work and have the necessary items in the box (I/O shield and stuff) or do you just take the returned items and put it on the shelf? because from the 3 motherboards I've bought from the shelves/racks only 1 worked and didnt even have the IO shield in the box. 

2. In terms of work ethic and hours what can one expect if wanting to work there, also what would be the general pay if such an employee is coming from working at a local repair shop already? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

12 minutes ago, Tocsin_786 said:

Questions:

1. On your "clearance and refurbished" motherboard rack/shelf , do you actually test the boards to see if they work and have the necessary items in the box (I/O shield and stuff) or do you just take the returned items and put it on the shelf? because from the 3 motherboards I've bought from the shelves/racks only 1 worked and didnt even have the IO shield in the box. 

2. In terms of work ethic and hours what can one expect if wanting to work there, also what would be the general pay if such an employee is coming from working at a local repair shop already? 

1. In most cases, no. The service counter seems to take customers at their word that the boards still work and they are returning them for another reason, then chucks them back to the floor where we are. There is a running joke that it should be called the "wall of bent pins" because of the amount of times we open a returned Intel board to find that was probably the reason they brought it back. It should be noted, at least in my store, if anyone is interested in a clearance model we always open the box and look inside with them because that's literally the worst thing that can happen to someone. I'd be interested in knowing which store you bought them from, if you could send that via PM. A check is done, however, for missing accessories like sata cables and the IO shield and those parts should be listed as missing on the yellow label if absent, or [COMPLETE] if everything is there.

2. We get a lot of training on new products every month. Top performers actually get flown out cross country to expos and such as well. Hours and pay probably vary by location, but our store seems to be pretty generous. 45+ hours for full time is the norm, and even our part time guy has 35. Pay is mostly determined by you, though, being commission based. Don't believe I am allowed to reveal the exact system, but it works without feeling like it pushes you into upselling everything to everyone.

Edit: Techs for repair are on a completely different pay system though. Wouldn't be able to tell you their rates.

1 minute ago, duckwithanokhat said:

LOL, what happened?

You'd have to ask them. I'd say all of their angry customers come to us, but the same thing happens with Best Buy and they are still around so... :D

Can you come to Canada? We need a tech store because NCIX is legit in downtown toronto

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

7 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Can you come to Canada? We need a tech store because NCIX is legit in downtown toronto

NCIX has a Mississauga location - I wouldn't exactly call that "Downtown".

There are also CanadaComputers locations everywhere in Ontario, which provides a nice alternative (Although, not as classy) to NCIX.

I honestly shop at CanadaComputers most of the time, because it's close by, convenient, and the prices are generally comparable enough that if I have to pay Shipping from NCIX, I won't bother and will just buy it at CanadaComputers.

More competition is always nice though :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

NCIX has a Mississauga location - I wouldn't exactly call that "Downtown".

There are also CanadaComputers locations everywhere in Ontario, which provides a nice alternative (Although, not as classy) to NCIX.

I honestly shop at CanadaComputers most of the time, because it's close by, convenient, and the prices are generally comparable enough that if I have to pay Shipping from NCIX, I won't bother and will just buy it at CanadaComputers.

More competition is always nice though :P

Wait, what?! Where :P Is there one in Whitby? And I live in a city of 80,000. Most of the GTA seems like downtown of a huge city to me :P 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

which micro center do you work in

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

Wait, what?! Where :P Is there one in Whitby? And I live in a city of 80,000. Most of the GTA seems like downtown of a huge city to me :P 

Unit 101-640 Eglinton Avenue West

http://www.ncix.com/contact/

There is One location in Downtown Toronto, one in Mississauga, two in Markham (Though one is a Showroom, so not likely to carry huge stock), and finally, one in Ottawa.

There's not one in Whitby, but the Markham locations shouldn't be too far away. And yes, the entire city can seem like "downtown", but it's not, really. The Younge Street location would be "true" downtown :P

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Unit 101-640 Eglinton Avenue West

http://www.ncix.com/contact/

There is One location in Downtown Toronto, one in Mississauga, two in Markham (Though one is a Showroom, so not likely to carry huge stock), and finally, one in Ottawa.

There's not one in Whitby, but the Markham locations shouldn't be too far away. And yes, the entire city can seem like "downtown", but it's not, really. The Younge Street location would be "true" downtown :P

oh my gosh. Next time I go to sail Im going there now :P 

Spoiler

AXIOM

4 minutes ago, jaffer said:

which micro center do you work in

@Rune I hope you're smart enough to not answer that.

@jaffer, it's inappropriate to ask someone on a forum (especially someone you don't know in person or well) specifically where they work. Posting that kind of specific information publicly on the internet could have drastic negative repercussions.