Ask a Microcenter Employee

Rune
20 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So someone you know got suckered at a different store owned by a different company and you want to take it out on Microcenter?

That's fair.  /s

If all you're going to do is be all butthurt go take that crap somewhere else.

Every commission sales employee will at one time or another scam their way. Its the nature of the beast.

........And its not just that one time either.

If a person is looking at $1000 computer and they just need it to surf the web and do email, I bet 100% of you guys will sell them a $500 system, when all they need is a $100 used system. But if you turned them all away to ebay or classifieds, you no longer have a job.

So its all fine and dandy to say what you say. But the bottom line is as I stated. Its human nature.

I never shop at places that have commission anymore. As far as I know BestBuy does not work that way.

Would you guys then please put up a BIG HUGE sign on the front door that says "This place is a commissions sales place" if you are so proud of it.

I doubt you would. You would lose sales, and the store would be gone in a very short time.

19 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Every commission sales employee will at one time or another scam their way. Its the nature of the beast.

........And its not just that one time either.

If a person is looking at $1000 computer and they just need it to surf the web and do email, I bet 100% of you guys will sell them a $500 system, when all they need is a $100 used system. But if you turned them all away to ebay or classifieds, you no longer have a job.

So its all fine and dandy to say what you say. But the bottom line is as I stated. Its human nature.

I never shop at places that have commission anymore. As far as I know BestBuy does not work that way.

Would you guys then please put up a BIG HUGE sign on the front door that says "This place is a commissions sales place" if you are so proud of it.

I doubt you would. You would lose sales, and the store would be gone in a very short time.

We explain that it is to every person we talk to so...not much need for a sign. Commission or otherwise, an employee will want you to purchase what they have in store. To me, being commission based, if I don't get you the right thing and you end up returning it a week later (for either it not working or you find a better deal elsewhere), both my time and your time got wasted, and nothing was gained from it (and at least me personally, I feel like a jackass).

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but it doesn't seem like something I'll be able to fix here.

I have an repair plan, if I get my keyboard fixed will I still have the warranty if they don't replace it or can I only use it once?

It is the accidental damage plan

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

On October 4, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Rune said:

Slower processor, no built in wifi/bluetooth. Fewer USB ports on the back as well. But for $0.99 its a steal.

Edit: Mini HDMI instead of full size, as well.

Ah.  Thank you for clarifying that.  ?

2 hours ago, Sentryy said:

I have an repair plan, if I get my keyboard fixed will I still have the warranty if they don't replace it or can I only use it once?

It is the accidental damage plan

If they don't replace it then the warranty is still in effect.

51 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Sounds like a treasure trove.

I'll have to visit one near me sometime.

You can see all inventory online, including open box :)

41 minutes ago, PillowFortEngineer said:

So huh, you got any stores (or plans) in Florida? been waiting for a while now.

Nothing in Florida yet, sorry :(

11 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Can we purchase said open box stuff online?

You can place an order for in store pickup of it, yes. You just can't get it shipped to you.

aMV0hdi.png

On 9/11/2016 at 5:30 PM, Rune said:

Figured I would do one of these since I haven't really seen anything similar in quite some time. So, go ahead and ask/comment what you'd like and I'll do my best to answer (or find out, for things I do not know)!

FAQ:

I don't know. But send a message from here with your comments! The more feedback we get, the more likely it is we will expand to your area next.

What is the usual pay? (mimimum wage or what)

I am currently looking for a job.

i like trains 🙂

1 hour ago, Implosivetech said:

What is the usual pay? (mimimum wage or what)

I am currently looking for a job.

Commission based, so it depends how well you do. It may vary by store, but ours won't let you go below minimum wage (non-draw)

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

Commission based, so it depends how well you do. It may vary by store, but ours won't let you go below minimum wage (non-draw)

lit

i like trains 🙂

Question: Does microcenter keep PC case out on display? (assuming of course that you carry PC cases.)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Question: Does microcenter keep PC case out on display? (assuming of course that you carry PC cases.)

We do! Almost all of them are on display, including the new dg87 :)

Edit: Though not quite related to cases, we also have the PSVR too :P

21 hours ago, Rune said:

We do! Almost all of them are on display, including the new dg87 :)

Edit: Though not quite related to cases, we also have the PSVR too :P

Awesome. I might have to make a pilgrimage to my nearest Microcenter to select my case for my Zen build.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

5 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Awesome. I might have to make a pilgrimage to my nearest Microcenter to select my case for my Zen build.

You can generally tell the better quality cases because they'll have survived the onslaught of customers throwing them around :P

I have a question: Why can't you hurry up and come to Europe already? I need a Microcentre in my life! :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

45 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

I have a question: Why can't you hurry up and come to Europe already? I need a Microcentre in my life! :P

We're still too small for a multinational showing :P

Do you enjoy your job, and if you do what do you wish there was more of? 

Do you feel like your current position is restricting you?  Do you think you will stay with Microcenter or move into a different area of I.T? 

What is the most common question you get asked while working for Microcenter? 

how reliable are your open box mobos? do you check them for bent pins or if its doa?

how do you offer a $30-40 discount on cpu and mobo bundle and still make a profit, or are you just clearing out stock in preparation for next gen?

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Is the Raspberry Pi Zero only available in store? My nearest location is 2 hours away! :(

1 hour ago, Jason Betts said:

Is the Raspberry Pi Zero only available in store? My nearest location is 2 hours away! :(

Yes, sorry :(

7 hours ago, DrM said:

how reliable are your open box mobos? do you check them for bent pins or if its doa?

how do you offer a $30-40 discount on cpu and mobo bundle and still make a profit, or are you just clearing out stock in preparation for next gen?

They do get checked for bent pins and get labeled as such, but usually they don't get checked for full functionality unless its something along the lines of an ROG board or something else very expensive. Usually we take the customer at their word.

7 hours ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Do you enjoy your job, and if you do what do you wish there was more of? 

Do you feel like your current position is restricting you?  Do you think you will stay with Microcenter or move into a different area of I.T? 

What is the most common question you get asked while working for Microcenter? 

I do! I wish there were more active displays. Having demonstration videos is one thing, being able to put someone into a vive is another.

Nothing too restrictive, no. Its not something I see myself doing forever. It actually is pretty stressful at times, because when you offer good service it does take a decent amount of time and that can cause a bit of a crowd to form.

Hm...most common question would be "what do I need?" :P but outside of that, a lot of people don't seem to understand the difference between HDD and SSD and why they are so much more expensive. I'm not sure why, as (at least to me) its a pretty easy to see difference.

On 9/11/2016 at 3:34 PM, theninja35 said:

Is the myth true?: do you guys (assholes if this is true) really buy all the cheap on-sale stuff before anyone else can?

Well I mean don't we all?

The geek himself.

19 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Well I mean don't we all?

Having worked both Retail, and specifically computer tech retail, I can say this:

Any advertised flyer item (Eg: A really good flash sale, etc), are generally reserved for customers, unless you're off duty. And most managers won't let you set one aside unless there's tons of stock.

However, if you're off duty, they're not going to stop you from coming into the store on your day off to buy the item, like any other customer.

Now, non-advertised Clearance items are a totally different story. I have acquired the following items via Staples clearance sales:

1. 1TB WD Elite USB HDD (This is the fancy one with the e-ink display) - $20

2. 2TB Seagate USB 3.0 HDD (Had an ST series desktop 7200 drive inside) - $30

I have zero moral obligations about having found those clearance deals, then immediately went and bought them for myself. If a customer wants clearance deals, they can hunt through the items, same as us :P

Now - individual stores/companies may have specific policies about that. Some stores may disbar you from buying clearance items or restrict it in some ways.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Eugene Oregon please

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430