Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
14 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The anniversary update completely borked my Win 10 OS. The screen was flickering every 5 seconds or so on boot up, and it kept resetting to the login screen. Also, when I'd login at the login screen, the desktop background would be mostly obscured by a green mess, and some error messages about various apps and services would pop up, and within 10 - 15 seconds, the screen would revert to the login screen.

I tried some things, that didn't change anything, and then eventually reverted to the previous build, using the boot loader. Thankfully, that worked to restore my Win 10 as it was before the update was installed. However, now I have a problem, in that I can't update without ruining my Win 10 OS, though MS will eventually try to force my PC to update. It's as if, after disregarding people's own say over their PC systems and updating, that Microsoft is now turning people's own PC systems into its hostages.

Well, this is the same stories as when a new Service Pack of Windows comes out. You always have some nice set of users where the upgrade just fails... maybe it is some set of old bugs that Microsoft never managed to fix (post in the user feedback the most detail you can.. hopefully with others with issues, it will be fixed for the future, once and for all)

I really don't know why... but my point is, despite the issue with previous version of Windows, people managed to upgrade... meaning they basically did a clean install. The good news, is that now we can install Windows 10 Anniversary Update directly, and not have to install Windows, then upgrade to the new service pack.

Anyone have the Android notifications working?

updated my VM2 with no issues time to do my PC, and VM1, VM3, VM4

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Alright, I used the media creation tool to "upgrade" to this update.
FAILED.

woRKqQQ.jpg

The anniversary update tool didn't work, the media creation tool didn't work... I'm done trying to get this stupid ass update.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've upgraded 11 PCs so far and 5 VMs, went seamless. I'm really not sure how people screw things like this up, espescially if you consider how old some of my hardware is..

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

My PC anniversary update went flawless.

Seriously, no hiccups. :D 

[sorry guys I know you all hate me now...]

But on the the other side of the coin; I had to WDRT my wife's BLU phone to upgrade it. I was getting this error constantly so I fired up the WDRT found a firmware update (a very minor update) and that fixed the problem. Freaking took all day. :| 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh interesting.... Maybe, there is a delay in syncing servers with the latest ISO?!

I think it's due to bandwidth concerns. And availability concerns.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

MS have stated they'll update the MCT to the latest version so anyone who wants to force the update can do so.

I've also just finished an MCT Upgrade, still on 1511?

Yeah.

4 hours ago, hoboX10 said:

I used the media creation tool to try to force update, but it is still just last November's update version of Windows 10, version 1511. Am I missing something?

Same. I used the Media creation Tool to recover from Redstone and it was still on 10596.164

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Excellent stuff, MCT is currently downloading :D

I don't think it's been updated yet though.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

My PC anniversary update went flawless.

Seriously, no hiccups. :D 

[sorry guys I know you all hate me now...]

But on the the other side of the coin; I had to WDRT my wife's BLU phone to upgrade it. I was getting this error constantly so I fired up the WDRT found a firmware update (a very minor update) and that fixed the problem. Freaking took all day. :| 

Well done.

I had Successful update using Insider Preview then after a restart I had a BSOD and then I had Windows Secure Boot violation and had to reinstall Windows.

Fortunately it recognized that I had activated Windows before.

Ayyy W10.1 is near ready here

e868a77364168f4c8f45da9ec5da89d1.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Here's a short video of what happened on my machine after the anniversary update installed. It also did other stuff, behaving differently with different login attempts:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Was able to upgrade, gave it one last shot(after it failed twice), it decided to work, for some reason.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I am unable to upgrade, i get error code 0x80070057....I have googled it, unable to find a solution....i have used media creation to create an ISO, i may just do a clean install anyway....

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Is there an easy way to  find the UWP app installers? I want the Netflix app, but I really don't want my Microsoft account connected to my PC. 

Also, Netflix isn't working in Edge since I upgraded. Saying something about missing components. Media Feature Pack got uninstalled. Needed it for my N version of Windows.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Update done via Windows Update, seems to be running OK. First thing I did was set Windows to the "dark theme".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Updated my laptop. Everything's working fine, except Cortana, which is MIA.

AfRU9N7.png

These are all of the settings that I have in search settings. Only one thing about Cortana. Apparently this isn't an uncommon issue, too, based on /r/Windows10.

8 minutes ago, Daring said:

AfRU9N7.png

These are all of the settings that I have in search settings. Only one thing about Cortana. Apparently this isn't an uncommon issue, too, based on /r/Windows10.

How did you update?

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

How did you update?

Windows Update.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Windows Update.

I haven't received the update...........

windows.PNG

update.PNG

Just went for a clean install and I was a bit creeped out when it automatically logged me into my Microsoft account. It seems to have got the drivers a lot faster than the initial version of Windows 10 so that's a good start, but it'll take some time to see how much faster this new build is.

Also how in the hell do I hide the Action Centre button? It looks so out of place between the date and the hide-all button in the corner.

1 minute ago, crisro996 said:

Just went for a clean install and I was a bit creeped out when it automatically logged me into my Microsoft account. It seems to have got the drivers a lot faster than the initial version of Windows 10 so that's a good start, but it'll take some time to see how much faster this new build is.

Afaik it shouldn't be faster per se. it should just have new features and bug fixes.

1 minute ago, crisro996 said:

Also how in the hell do I hide the Action Centre button? It looks so out of place between the date and the hide-all button in the corner.

You can't. It's an integral part of Windows 10.

I'm updating as we speak.. did a "Check for Updates" on Windows 10 and got "Feature Pack 1607"

it is taking quite a while... I am in the Northeastern USA if the rollout is geographically based

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

43 minutes ago, Daring said:

delete user account and make a new one. 

8 minutes ago, Arty said:

delete user account and make a new one. 

I'd rather install Linux on my laptop than go through that again. Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

I'd rather install Linux on my laptop than go through that again. Ugh.

was easy for me i had all my settings on my domain, :).