Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
11 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

It even reset my mouse pointer acceleration!  I don't have any apple computers but I was thinking the same thing about the stability of my linux server. Thankfully I don't have to worry about that system upgrading itself, changing configurations and rebooting all on it's own.  That system is rock solid.  I don't really care for the linux GUI's though.

Yeah man, on monday I did a "do-release-upgrade" on my Ubuntu Server 14.04 via SSH from 800 miles away WITHOUT FAIL in less than a half hour. Sitting at my windows machine took more than an hour and even then it shit itself adding back useless things I already disabled. come on, Microsoft... 

13 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

read about the bash integration but I didn't find anything on the system, so that makes sense you have to install/enable it somehow.  I have cygwin installed and well configured for my uses so I don't care about having the bash.  But it is funny that windows is integrating a bash shell.  If I hadn't paid good money for Windows 8.1 pro on my desktop I would install a bare-bones linux distro.

Honestly, the Bash "integration" (it's really a live-translating subsystem) is crap. you have to jump through hoops just to be able to use it, and when you do go to install it, it warns you all over the place that it is still in beta.... WTF microsoft?! I am honestly shocked that something they touted so much and were so proud of in this release they allowed to be released in beta form... that's like ford making a new car and selling it to everyone and saying "by the way, we haven't really finished testing/perfecting this engine yet, sorry"

I think there was a whole lot of pomp and circumstance surrounding this update but it really brought nothing to the table. Most people I know (including myself) use chrome because it's better than Edge and already has the features that microsoft just updated it to have. Bash has existed on OS X since the beginning, and mms/phone integration has existed in OS X for literally years... I'm not trying to start any kind of PC/Mac flame war, I'm just saying microsoft was really proud of this and didn't bring much to the table with it (and a lot of people were freaking out over it for some reason) 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

I have 0 notifications that Bash is in beta. Stop lying.

And it is easy to enable

1. Program & Feature > Turn feature on or off. Then check the box: Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta)
  2. It will install it, and ask you to restart your system, do so
  3. Type in the search box: Bash, and run it.
  4. Install, and it will ask you to create your root password.

And now you are ready to go. Run Bash, and bash away. If you want to run Ubuntu software with GUIs, just install XMing (free), you can add it to your startup of Windows (if you want it so that it is always ready), and under Linux you can edit .bashrc file, and add: export DISPLAY=localhost:0 add the end of it to so that it is ready at startup of Bash. Or you can type it in each time. up to you.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

And it is easy to enable

1. Program & Feature > Turn feature on or off. Then check the box: Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta)

And now you are ready to go. Run Bash, and bash away.

But why bother?  I would think that anyone who needs a bash shell in windows already has one.  Is there a benefit? 

Just now, tbake0155 said:

But why bother?  I would think that anyone who needs a bash shell in windows already has one.  Is there a benefit? 

Yes, cygwin sucks.

That's all, it just sucks?  It works for me.  I can get into linux systems and then from there it doesn't matter what shell you used to get in.

Maybe I'll check it out but I'm not sure I even like the idea of a bash shell integrated into the windows system.

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the lockscreen picture so you don't have to click before typing in your password? You used to be able to do this in group policy under Computer Config->Admin Templates->Control Panel->Personalization->Do not display lockscreen, but that option doesn't seem to be working anymore. There was a similar registry edit you could do as well before the update and that doesn't seem to work either.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And it is easy to enable

And now you are ready to go. Run Bash, and bash away.

found it for you.....

im not lying, the Bash subsystem in windows IS still in Beta. 

as for "run Bash and bash away", you need to be in developer mode which is not enabled by default. 

ESXi SysAdmin

2 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

found it for you.....

im not lying, the Bash subsystem in windows IS still in Beta. 

as for "run Bash and bash away", you need to be in developer mode which is not enabled by default. 

No, you said:

it warns you all over the place that it is still in beta

No it doesn't. You are saying crap to spread hate for the sake of spreading hate, and miss informing people on purpose.

@GoodBytes when you actually type "bash" in cmd for the first time, it posts a warning saying that "this feature is still in beta". I'd call that a warning. Also, even the Microsoft Developer Network's post on the subject has a warning at the top about the feature being in beta. The name of the feature has (beta) at the end of it.

I'm not "saying crap to spread hate for the sake of spreading hate, and *misinforming* people on purpose" - I am just saying that the feature is still in beta even though microsoft touted it as a great big wonderful release. If you really want to argue over my use of the words "all over the place" try this: our definitions of "all over the place" are different; I saw the feature described as a beta through multiple steps of the process I used to get the feature running. I define that as "all over the place". Just because somebody said something remotely bad about microsoft does not mean you need to get all defensive and attack people in the forum.

ESXi SysAdmin

5 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@GoodBytes when you actually type "bash" in cmd for the first time, it posts a warning saying that "this feature is still in beta". I'd call that a warning. Also, even the Microsoft Developer Network's post on the subject has a warning at the top about the feature being in beta. The name of the feature has (beta) at the end of it.

I'm not "saying crap to spread hate for the sake of spreading hate, and *misinforming* people on purpose" - I am just saying that the feature is still in beta even though microsoft touted it as a great big wonderful release. If you really want to argue over my use of the words "all over the place" try this: our definitions of "all over the place" are different; I saw the feature described as a beta through multiple steps of the process I used to get the feature running. I define that as "all over the place". Just because somebody said something remotely bad about microsoft does not mean you need to get all defensive and attack people in the forum.

ok

garbage update full bugs and crashes

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Desktop detects the anniversary update. Laptop does not.

On laptop, ran the anniversary update utility from Microsoft. Says it needs 20GB of free space.

Free up some space and got 20GB (My C:\ is only 60GB). Ran the anniversary update again and it started to download.

Downloaded for some time, have to go out. Closed lid of laptop (laptop went to sleep mode).

Came back later that evening, open up laptop, resume from sleep, and notice the update disappeared. Okay no big deal, just run it again. Did just that, and it says needs 20GB of free space. Check C:\, noticed it now at 17GB, which means the update has downloaded 3GB. Open hidden files and sees windows update folders, but it just uses a few KB to a 100ish MB. Check other windows upgrade folders, all empty.

Ran disk clean up to see if it will find it? No

Ran CCleaner, nothing found.

So my 3GB just magically disappeared. 9_9

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Desktop detects the anniversary update. Laptop does not.

On laptop, ran the anniversary update utility from Microsoft. Says it needs 20GB of free space.

Free up some space and got 20GB (My C:\ is only 60GB). Ran the anniversary update again and it started to download.

Downloaded for some time, have to go out. Closed lid of laptop (laptop went to sleep mode).

Came back later that evening, open up laptop, resume from sleep, and notice the update disappeared. Okay no big deal, just run it again. Did just that, and it says needs 20GB of free space. Check C:\, noticed it now at 17GB, which means the update has downloaded 3GB. Open hidden files and sees windows update folders, but it just uses a few KB to a 100ish MB. Check other windows upgrade folders, all empty.

Ran disk clean up to see if it will find it? No

Ran CCleaner, nothing found.

So my 3GB just magically disappeared. 9_9

Your friend

http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Have a alternative, windirstat and it found nothing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 7/31/2016 at 1:05 AM, MilkJugg24 said:

Can't wait for the dark theme. 

The update looks great!

It sucks that people hate change though. I didn't know free upgrades were a bad thing.

Change isn't always good. In W10's case some things were good, others not so much.

Also it being free doesn't mean that it should be able to spy on you if you don't want it to.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

The update screw my laptop...

I have a dell inspiron 15R 5520 used for travel PC, I just installed the update 3 hour ago and no it won't boot up and say "windows was unable to boot up" even after I ran  the recovery it was the same answer

just installed the update. i am happy with it but i just would wish that we had the ability to switch the time/date and notification center from place so that the time is on the far right and not the notification center because now if i want to look at the time a look automatically at the notification center because that know occupies the place that the time/date used to be at

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

FYI:

Running the BASH installer with lxrun /install /y didn't work, the download from the microsoft store stopped at 56%. If this happens, run bash from cmd normally and it will download and install normally.

It mounts your hard-drives in /mnt/$driveLetter/ (so for example /mnt/c/ )

I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing you probably need to be careful with the rm -rf command.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Like the upgrade to windows 10, this update is going to be another 5 hour plus affair thanks to crappy laptop hard drives (thankfully, I have a computer that doesn't have to go through this indignity since it didn't qualify for an upgrade since it didn't have a supported OS) and once again I had to go through the mess that is avast and windows defender stepping on each others toes until everything had settled down enough that I could do a reboot so that windows could take the hint that I already had protection and didn't need theirs messing things, and steam didn't want to connect but that was only because the site was down (I should probably get an SSD for this thing when I get the money and the ability to get rid of the stripped screw that is stopping me from getting into the laptops convenience cover where the RAM and hard drive are located).

The jury is still out regarding windows 10 considering the issues I've been having, so if it continues to ram one end of itself up the other and continue to lock up even after a reinstall, then the original windows 7 recovery DVDs I made an age ago will be making an appearance and the laptop will be going back to windows 7 home edition from windows 10 pro (and before anyone asks, I took the windows 8 upgrade which upped it to pro and everything after that was pro as well).

2 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Like the upgrade to windows 10, this update is going to be another 5 hour plus affair thanks to crappy laptop hard drives

It took nearly 2 hours to download and install on my system, and my system drive isn't exactly a slouch :/

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

21 hours ago, zMeul said:

Edge 

thats your first problem. using the wrong browser :P

5 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

It took nearly 2 hours to download and install on my system, and my system drive isn't exactly a slouch :/

Try doing that on an AMD Athlon II x2 P320 with only 2GB RAM and a 250GB crappy 5400RPM laptop hard drive.

Heck, my fathers desktop could probably chug through it in around an hour, and that is using older hardware (not to mention a 10kRPM hard drive) and it got through the upgrade to windows 10 in around 2 hours and had to be rebooted only because of the graphics card driver (it only depends on windows defender, so there weren't any conflicts in the protection area).

I'll probably be doing that later on (and I'll be keeping an eye on the clock as well).

So far no issues whatsoever, I had to update my gpu drivers(they were old anyways). Nothing else.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

5 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

I actually know people who run "Golden Image" VMs whenever they buy things online... they start up the VM from a standard "golden" image, make their online purchase, then destroy the VM. There are some seriously paranoid people in the world!

That's eerily strange.

34 minutes ago, Public Policy said:

I agree. It seems like people think of the information gathering as someone watching you walk around naked in your home through the window.

Or that MS is going to hand your ass over to the police for downloading something illegal. Either way it's kinda sad.

5 hours ago, wcreek said:

It's not really a joke. I mean it's not actually spying on you, but it does collect more data than most would like an OS for desktops and laptops to collect. Ubuntu used to do some similar stuff, but it seems like Canonical stopped doing that.

I doubt any of the extra data is more than everything else they've taken before. You've probably handed your ass over to some other company and didn't realize it when you signed up as well. Facebook being a prime example.

Spoiler