Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes
20 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I've been looking for a decent replacement to LG's OSP (since it was discontinued years ago) and Mighty Text (since they are no longer entirely free). Guess ill have to test it out. Do you know if its been reverting settings and registry entries? I know a lot of people said this was an issue during the early days of windows 10.

As I am part of the Insider program, I get continuously builds (on average 1-2 builds per week).  I don't recall any option being reverted when passing between builds unless something changed on that front, like Cortana. The default apps that was uninstalled were re-installed, and I think default apps got reset (but not sure, as I did clean install my system, so I could be confusing with this).

19 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

All is fun and dandy, but what I really want is improved OS stability and performance.

Looks like Microsoft only cares about the UI and the UWP stuff. >:(

Bonus wish: Aero for Windows 10. But that's never gonna happen. 9_9

I only mentioned new or improved features. I don't have a list of bug fixes and give you what has been fixed or not. I could tell you what was marked as fixed from Insider Builds all accumulated, beside the fact that it will be even longer post, and that is only a subset of bug fixes, that Microsoft, at each build, considered "major", or affect a lot of people.

But the OS has a crap tone of bug fixes, which I am sure improves the OS stability. As for performance, I don't know.

I just hope they fixed the issues I'm having:

1. 30+ seconds of login time if taskbar is minimized (seriously it ads like 30+ seconds of added loading because the taskbar is set to hidden, how is such a bug even a thing?).
  2. Micro stutter in sound, due to Win 10's new way of dealing with sound. Seems to be caused by shitty Intel NIC drivers adding massive dpc latency during certain tasks. Either fix Intel drivers or tell Intel to GTFO and disable all Intel NIC's until Intel is forced to fix their shit. Insane that a multi billion dollar profit company can make such shitty Indian sweatshop drivers.
  3. Fix the damn image viewer so you can scroll through all pictures in a folder. Having to open each picture separately or mark all image files -> open is retarded.
  4. When disabling tertiary monitor (tv), the entire taskbar disappears on second monitor (primary). Have to restart explorer.exe.
  5. DMV.exe not supporting HDR or variable refresh rate. Get on it MS.

And a lot more stuff I can't remember off of the top of my head.

I am looking very much forward to the update though.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

14 minutes ago, Notional said:

I just hope they fixed the issues I'm having:

1. 30+ seconds of login time if taskbar is minimized (seriously it ads like 30+ seconds of added loading because the taskbar is set to hidden, how is such a bug even a thing?).
  2. Micro stutter in sound, due to Win 10's new way of dealing with sound. Seems to be caused by shitty Intel NIC drivers adding massive dpc latency during certain tasks. Either fix Intel drivers or tell Intel to GTFO and disable all Intel NIC's until Intel is forced to fix their shit. Insane that a multi billion dollar profit company can make such shitty Indian sweatshop drivers.
  3. Fix the damn image viewer so you can scroll through all pictures in a folder. Having to open each picture separately or mark all image files -> open is retarded.
  4. When disabling tertiary monitor (tv), the entire taskbar disappears on second monitor (primary). Have to restart explorer.exe.
  5. DMV.exe not supporting HDR or variable refresh rate. Get on it MS.

And a lot more stuff I can't remember off of the top of my head.

I am looking very much forward to the update though.

Testing some of the things with the latest build:

1. No issue on my side. :)

2. I don't know any changes to the sound system in Windows 10. That is probably Intel NIC drivers being shitty on you. Usually the full fix for latency issues is: uninstall your graphics card drivers and all its components (yes, all), uninstall your sound card drivers and network drivers. Reboot, and re-install your network drivers, then graphics card, then sound. IIRC. Missing motherboard chipset drivers can also cause this issue.

3.Fixed. And you can still install Windows Essentials from Windows 7, if you want the PhotoGallery. In the setup, just go custom, and just install PhotoGallery & Movie Maker (they are together).

4. Can't test

5. Windows shell doesn't support color profiles... you want HDR? Your funny :P . But post it on the feedback hub.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Testing some of the things with the latest build:

1. No issue on my side. :)

2. I don't know any changes to the sound system in Windows 10. That is probably Intel NIC drivers being shitty on you. Usually the full fix for latency issues is: uninstall your graphics card drivers and all its components (yes, all), uninstall your sound card drivers and network drivers. Reboot, and re-install your network drivers, then graphics card, then sound. IIRC. Missing motherboard chipset drivers can also cause this issue.

3.Fixed. And you can still install Windows Essentials from Windows 7, if you want the PhotoGallery. In the setup, just go custom, and just install PhotoGallery & Movie Maker (they are together).

4. Can't test

5. Windows shell doesn't support color profiles... you want HDR? Your funny :P . But post it on the feedback hub.

1. You would have to do a cold boot to see it in action. Logout or restart doesn't always show the issue.
  2. Yup Intel makes the worst drivers imaginable. Problem is that the Microsoft standard driver doesn't fix the issue either. It's Win10 exclusive issue as they changed the sound driver stack: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt298187(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#Audio_Stack_Improvements_in_Windows_10 I'm sure the entire driver part, due to wddm 2.0 is changed to cause all sorts of issues Intel cannot be bothered fixing. Intel has released 4-5 drivers trying to fix the issue ,but they don't know how to it seems. Also all changes they've made has been to the software controlling the driver, as the driver is unchanged.
  3. Sweet.
  4. Not a huge issue, just annoying.
  5. AMD during their HDR push stated they were working with MS to implement native HDR support in Windows. As they also want freesync to work in UWP and windowed mode, I think they are working on variable refresh in dwm as well. MS also stated they want variable refresh in UWP, so it will happen. Too bad Anniversary edition doesn't include that.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

No with any nic you can enable network teaming through a PowerShell command. But patch 10240 it has been broken. Microsoft knows but has yet to fix it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/66166918-5b67-4754-89e5-a2572b1888a2/nic-teaming-failed-build-10568-windows-10?forum=win10itpronetworking

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

28 minutes ago, Notional said:
  1. You would have to do a cold boot to see it in action. Logout or restart doesn't always show the issue.
  2. Yup Intel makes the worst drivers imaginable. Problem is that the Microsoft standard driver doesn't fix the issue either. It's Win10 exclusive issue as they changed the sound driver stack: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt298187(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#Audio_Stack_Improvements_in_Windows_10 I'm sure the entire driver part, due to wddm 2.0 is changed to cause all sorts of issues Intel cannot be bothered fixing. Intel has released 4-5 drivers trying to fix the issue ,but they don't know how to it seems. Also all changes they've made has been to the software controlling the driver, as the driver is unchanged.
  3. Sweet.
  4. Not a huge issue, just annoying.
  5. AMD during their HDR push stated they were working with MS to implement native HDR support in Windows. As they also want freesync to work in UWP and windowed mode, I think they are working on variable refresh in dwm as well. MS also stated they want variable refresh in UWP, so it will happen. Too bad Anniversary edition doesn't include that.

1. Tested. That is what I have done. I tried for you: restart, shutdown, and sign out and back in. No speed difference. :)

5. Variable refresh for DWM is silly.. I mean if your graphics card can't handle it, it probably doesn't support freesync/G-Sync to start with :), but ok.

Def gonna try it, i really look forward to the dark theme :D

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

Daily OS: OpenBSD -current

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

1. Tested. That is what I have done. I tried for you: restart, shutdown, and sign out and back in. No speed difference. :)

5. Variable refresh for DWM is silly.. I mean if your graphics card can't handle it, it probably doesn't support freesync/G-Sync to start with :), but ok.

1. Hopefully they fixed it then. It's been an issue that's been discussed all the way back in november 2015.

2. It's not silly when gaming in borderless window and wanting to use freesync. G-sync kinda works, as NVidia driver bypasses dwm or something weird like that.

Oh yeah, another HUGE issue I hope they fixed, is the sudden death of all UWP apps. Disappearing app icons, not being able to launch any uwp apps at all, including the start menu !?!? Only a reinstall or reconstruction from an image will solve it. It had a powershell solution once, but that stopped working. That is one of the gravest issues I've had with W10, and it has happened on several computers.

I keep suggesting on the insider program, that we get bacon textures for the taskbar :(

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

13 minutes ago, Notional said:

Oh yeah, another HUGE issue I hope they fixed, is the sudden death of all UWP apps. Disappearing app icons, not being able to launch any uwp apps at all, including the start menu !?!? Only a reinstall or reconstruction from an image will solve it. It had a powershell solution once, but that stopped working. That is one of the gravest issues I've had with W10, and it has happened on several computers.

Hard to know, but I did have this issue in the past with the official release. But never under Insider Preview... so far looks promising. Of course, I am just 1 person... we have to wait and see. I don't expect those who have the problem now, that it will be solved by upgrading to the Anniversary upgrade. They should be clean installing their system.

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Hard to know, but I did have this issue in the past with the official release. But never under Insider Preview... so far looks promising. Of course, I am just 1 person... we have to wait and see. I don't expect those who have the problem now, that it will be solved by upgrading to the Anniversary upgrade. They should be clean installing their system.

The weird thing is how arbitrary and random the problem is/was. It showed up out of nowhere for no seeming reason. I think it has something to do with corruption of the msn user login profile, but idk. The problem with something like an anniversary edition, essentially a big service pack, is that all the bug fixes just drown in a sea of changes. Anyway, I can't wait to get it. However I do wonder if you can force update it through the command prompt like you could with the win 10 install with "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".

Is it necessary to do a clean install? I'd rather not :(

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Is it necessary to do a clean install? I'd rather not :(

Well see... if you still have the problem, then you do.

i hope they have the option to enable recent apps on start menu, i'd rather have that instated of this new start menu in anniversary update 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

25 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i hope they have the option to enable recent apps on start menu, i'd rather have that instated of this new start menu in anniversary update 

Yes they do. I had mine disabled. Now I enabled it. :)

Capture.PNG

It shows like this:

Image2.png

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes they do. I had mine disabled. Now I enabled it. :)

Ahhh... Thank you :) , now if they only separate show colors on task bar/title and start menu... why did they have to club it together, colors on title bar looks awful, i only want colors that i choose to be shown up on taskbar and start menu, that's only possible if you update windows 10 from build 10240, if you fresh install windows 10 directly to 1511 from tech_bench , the color accent will show up on title bar as well, idk if you understood what i was referring to. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I have to say it... ;) 

As a Mac & PC user, I'm glad Microsoft is finally adding a lot of the functionality I've had in OS X for ages now.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

7 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Ahhh... Thank you :) , now if they only separate show colors on task bar/title and start menu... why did they have to club it together, colors on title bar looks awful, i only want colors that i choose to be shown up on taskbar and start menu, that's only possible if you update windows 10 from build 10240, if you fresh install windows 10 directly to 1511 from tech_bench , the color accent will show up on title bar as well, idk if you understood what i was referring to. 

Yea... I would like to to be able to set my colors independently. I want my tittle bar dark gray, and my "Accent color" to remain blue.

As might as well be able to put any colors, and not just the predefined list of colors. I know you can override that from the registry, but still.

EZ unlimited NFTS pathways ... now i can hid all my "work" safely. 

Magical Pineapples

Dark theme has existed since Windows 10's release, but you had to modify the registry for it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]
"AppsUseLightTheme"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]
"AppsUseLightTheme"=dword:00000000

merge that into your registry.

now we need a anniversary ready hostlist for our routers 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This is gonna be "upgrade to windows 10" all over again.

The only feature i'm really interested in is the removal of the NTFS character limit but i don't have a pro license so i dont even get that.

I'll also have to turn off all of microsoft's telemetry bullshit again, yay!