Windows 10 Anniversary Update - Here is everything you need to know - OUT NOW!

GoodBytes

just did the update, C:/ went from 70gb free to 80gb free, weird but awesome.

So far noticed nothing new except the list function in start menu.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

java completely broke for me, every time i tried to open a java applet, the os would crash with no error code, realy annoying for me had to reinstall java, after reinstalling it java applets were slow, i said screw it i'm going back to my older version of windows and never upgrade.

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Guys I don't know how to get the update on my laptop. Should I upgrade it?

I noticed they added a clock to secondary taskbars.

THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I WOULD HAVE NEEDED o.O

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

@GoodBytes Can I now reinstall Windows 7 without having to worry about being forced onto Windows 10?

I know they brought the telemetry crap to Windows 7, but I can remove that fairly easily. Not just a security concern, but a bandwidth issue as well. My ISP is crap, and is allegedly experiencing "bandwidth exhaustion" resulting in disconnects and "DNS errors" on a nightly basis. So anything that uses more bandwidth is to be avoided.

Already filed multiple FCC complaints, the ISP claimed the issue would be fixed by April/May. It has not lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Ah, I updated my laptop first...it went smoothly. Took about an hour and a half though...

My desktop was next, but I needed to get some work done, so I started the utility but paused the update by clicking cancel update. As I was working, I didn't notice the window closed itself and actually started updating. I was pissed when I got a pop up message "You'll be logged out to install updates"...no postpone option...just close. And so it kicked me out of my unsaved work...

I'm still unsure how I feel about the start menu though...having it show all apps all of the time feels a bit messy...I'd rather have a list of pinned apps or most used apps first then have a all apps button at the bottom of it.

Ah, it kicked me off of all of my network drives to my NAS so I have to set those up again...

Edit:

It made Dreamweaver lose all passwords to my FTP accounts for my website work...

So, it may just be me, but it seems that the anniversary update has made my computer freeze more often, heck I cant even use my tablet anymore after the update (cant undo the update either because everything crashes when I try to do anything) my tablet freezes whenever I try to do anything, from opening an app, to opening the start menu.

Installed it through windows update - BSOD when it finished installing - reverted to previous build.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Update was without a problem but i had to reinstall classic custom shell because my older version wasnt compatible. I just want the windows 7 startmenu.

Second computer to update got wrecked.  First computer was an a10-7850k in an itx gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi.  That system updated although comparatively it seems a little buggy but that could be coincidence.

Second computer is an fx8350 in a sabertooth 990fx with an r9 290x.  The system tried to update on it's own after running for a few hours.  Something crashed during the way, it restarted and said autorepair would not work and gave me the option of restarting or advanced options.  This screen then froze up and I was forced to do a manual hard reset.  And now the system will not boot into windows.  Not even to the windows repair screen.

So I'm most likely going to have to completely reinstall windows 10 on the system.  Thankfully most of the software on that system is on a seperate HDD than the OS.

Now I'm concerned about even booting my laptop : /

On 7/31/2016 at 1:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

Game DVR Improved

I had to disable Game DVR so that my games wouldn't be locked to 72 FPS (half of my monitor's refresh rate).

10/10 update Microsoft /s

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I'd suggest to everyone to check important settings they have on their software and OS. I found out that my update changed settings in Samsung Magician utility. It reactivate the indexer for the OS on my SSD, thanks mate.

Minor warning points like that aside, it broke my cs go install for unknown reasons.

Changes aren't groundbreaking, but nice still.

1 hour ago, nims0c said:

I had to disable Game DVR so that my games wouldn't be locked to 72 FPS (half of my monitor's refresh rate).

10/10 update Microsoft /s

You probably had the always record option enabled.

42 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

I'd suggest to everyone to check important settings they have on their software and OS. I found out that my update changed settings in Samsung Magician utility. It reactivate the indexer for the OS on my SSD, thanks mate.

Minor warning points like that aside, it broke my cs go install for unknown reasons.

Changes aren't groundbreaking, but nice still.

Why would you want to disable Indexer?

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Why would you want to disable Indexer?

Because on an SSD it isn't that useful because of access speed, it takes a bit of ressources, and mostly it reduces a bit of lifespan of the ssd by writing in it often. I left it active on my second drive which is an HDD though. 

10 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Because on an SSD it isn't that useful because of access speed, it takes a bit of ressources, and mostly it reduces a bit of lifespan of the ssd by writing in it often. I left it active on my second drive which is an HDD though. 

Well...unless you've got these early SSDs, this is a non issue. You write a crap tons on them just fine. It has been proven multiple times, even if you get the crappy TLC chips, which I used to be very worry about write limit, they are fine. Their super long warranty backs it all up. I basically trash my SSD with writes daily since 2012, and still going strong, SSDLife reports an estimated 8 years left... it was reporting 9 years when I got it new. So yea...

As for Index, things can always be faster. :)

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Well...unless you've got these early SSDs, this is a non issue. You write a crap tons on them just fine. It has been proven multiple times, even if you get the crappy TLC chips, which I used to be very worry about write limit, they are fine. Their super long warranty backs it all up. I basically trash my SSD with writes daily since 2012, and still going strong, SSDLife reports an estimated 8 years left... it was reporting 9 years when I got it new. So yea...

As for Index, things can always be faster. :)

Personnally I just set the life span optimization in Samsung utility, makes my life easier :)

Just reverted back to the build before the update and I have edge, windows store, plex app, default app changes, geforce experience, and a bunch of other apps back that wouldn't even work with the update.  I'm gonna give it a while before i try again. 

I was going to say that my laptop was still broken and posted a video to that affect, but I've still to upload that video since a while ago I had a brush with the glitch and had a wizard wheeze and decided to click the firefox button on the task bar as quickly as possible while the hard drive activity light was still lit, and to my surprise I'm certain that the desktop image blacked out for a brief moment and firefox minimised and came back a few seconds later and everything carried on as normal which means that everything I shot today is completely useless but I'll still upload it to youtube and then film a follow on where I mention what happened and what is changing to the plans.

One thing that does need to be done is the anniversary update on my fathers computer, but that isn't getting it at the moment (all it is getting is windows defender definition updates) which might be because it's not in the current batch but I might end up forcing the matter if it doesn't get the update in the next week or so (for all I know it could get it on the usual patch Tuesday cycle).

3 hours ago, laminutederire said:

Personnally I just set the life span optimization in Samsung utility, makes my life easier :)

Meh.. it just followed myths and what people wanted to hear.

Got a system with a digitize pen? If you do, you’ll notice a new icon next to the time (you can show or hide it on any system, it is automatically shown if your system is detected as compatible to use pen), called Ink Workspace. This utility gives you access to sticky notes, gives you a sketchpad to draw, take a screen shot and draw, and give you app suggestions from the store that you might be interested in (app suggestions can be disabled via registry: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsInkWorkspace, set AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace to 0. Create anything missing.)

I can't find WindowsInkWorkspace in the registry. 

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

20 minutes ago, TheGosuStandard said:

I can't find WindowsInkWorkspace in the registry. 

Create it.

Force Upgrade Method:  (Thanks  @Wyzzy Moon)
   - Go here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history?ocid=update_setting_client
   - Click on Get the Anniversary Update now blue button.
   - Download and run the exe.
(you may need to restart your system, and check for Windows Update to show. If still nothing, wait 1h, and check for update again)

I don't know if this works for everyone, but all I had to do was go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and click the "Check for updates" button. It found the Anniversary update and began downloading immediately. Granted, I have no idea how long it would've taken to get it otherwise; maybe it was being deployed to me anyway.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Create it.

I've never really dealt with the registry before, I created a new key in Microsoft for WindowsInkWorkspace. Would I create  AllowSuggestedAppsInWindowsInkWorkspace  as a sub-key under that? 

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10