Enter the RX 480 AIB Cards

tsk

I think one thing that's really cool on the Sapphire Nitro is the position of the 8-pin (on the side, rather than putting it on the top):

Spoiler

UtMi52E.jpg

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Sapphire is clear winner for me with MSI second, all other designs are either ugly or super disgusting (3 fans...)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

Sapphire is clear winner for me with MSI second, all other designs are either ugly or super disgusting (3 fans...)

I do think the Sapphire card wins hand down. But why is 3-fans design disgusting? Many high-end, high power cards are 3-fans.

2 minutes ago, Deli said:

I do think the Sapphire card wins hand down. But why is 3-fans design disgusting? Many high-end, high power cards are 3-fans.

It is just overdone IMO. Looks stupid. I only base it on the looks not performance. 

I hate it, card looks ridiculous. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Good guy msi. Always delivering beautiful cards. 

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

40 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Okay, let's look look at the PCIE6 and PCIE8 wiring

For the 6-pin we have:

PIN1 +12 PIN2 +12 PIN13 +12

PIN4 GND PIN5 SENSE PIN6 DNG

For the 8-pin we have the:

PIN1 +12 PIN2 +12 PIN3+12 PIN4 SENSE

PIN5 DNG PIN6 SENSE PIN7 GND PIN8 GND

The ATX-specification also tells us that the PIN2 is a "no connection" pin on the PCIE6. Yet every single PSU has a +12 line going there. How dare they break the specification.

Now, why did we have to look that up for?

I don't understand. how can the 6 pin is wired up like a 8 pin? Did they ditch the sense pin? Does the PSU accept current on the pin5 or they overloaded pin4 and pin6 for the gnd?

1 minute ago, raphidy said:

I don't understand. how can the 6 pin is wired up like a 8 pin? Did they ditch the sense pin? Does the PSU accept current on the pin5 or they overloaded pin4 and pin6 for the gnd?

Because the 8PIN connector is quite literally a 6PIN connector with an additional ground and sense.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

2 minutes ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Because the 8PIN connector is quite literally a 6PIN connector with an additional ground and sense.

I get that, but the 6 pin has only two gnd for the return of the current. So if there's 3 x +poles for two - poles then the current in the - cables will have more current in them. I guess the awg is big enough to support that current then.

7 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Yes they did, it's wired to have 3x +12V and 3x ground. Maybe that's why half the phases are on slot power and half on the power connector, so it doesn't work when the 6 pin isn't connected.

1 hour ago, Khvarrioiren said:

Okay, let's look look at the PCIE6 and PCIE8 wiring

For the 6-pin we have:

PIN1 +12 PIN2 +12 PIN13 +12

PIN4 GND PIN5 SENSE PIN6 DNG

For the 8-pin we have the:

PIN1 +12 PIN2 +12 PIN3+12 PIN4 SENSE

PIN5 DNG PIN6 SENSE PIN7 GND PIN8 GND

The ATX-specification also tells us that the PIN2 is a "no connection" pin on the PCIE6. Yet every single PSU has a +12 line going there. How dare they break the specification.

Now, why did we have to look that up for?

you missed the AMD layout

it's 3 times +12 and 3 times ground

they can draw like 250W on that thing without breaking anything

nobody's breaking anything they are just stretching the possibilities and challenging the minds of young engineers

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Probably gonna get me the MSI version. Always had great support with them and they dont lock the voltage.

That XFX looks cheap as hell.

That is the only thing on my mind.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

They all look great. Love those sleek backplates. :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Pohernori said:

I'm talking about the phases for the core. 

it looks like its 4 versus the 6 on the reference design. 

But its likely all 4 pull from the PCIe PSU cable not the slot. making it better than the reference for power draw. Assuming one of the ones on the left is for VRAM and the other is the slot phase for the GPU, you still have an Aux and a 0.95v phase somewhere on the pcb.

And if they use the same VRM controller from reference with similarly spec'd components it will be a darn good setup. If they bump up to 6 phase from the plug I wonder if they will bump up the controller, double up phases, or use the robust controller just for the plug phases and a second controller for the others

XFX, why do you keep making such sexy sexy cards :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Where's HiS?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

9 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Give me the damn pics of the PCB... 

And ohhhhhh that XFX design is really pleasing to the eyes... 

Powercolor looks like they're using the same kind of heatsink as their PCS+ cards. But I'll bet you that those "claw like" looking fans are gonna be damn loud. 

I doubt it. My 7950 PCS+ is a lot quieter than my 970 SC ACX2.0.

6 hours ago, porina said:

Got a link to that?

The only thing I've heard along those lines was from sapphireED on TGW where there was a quick blurb about the nitro having an 8-pin and ED stating "It has an 8pin, but it doesn't need it".  They didn't get into that aspect in any real depth and I don't believe that Ed is an engineer, but at least he's inside the loop enough to be credible.

https://youtu.be/5GpwC1Cayc4?t=1828

I don't know if that is the one that he was talking about, I'd like to believe that it wasn't.

*Sigh* Looking at these cards seeing 1 DVI, 1HDMI, and 3 Display Port.....

Here I am running monitors with 1 DVI, 1 VGA each and 1 with 1 vga.....

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

7 hours ago, Thony said:

It is just overdone IMO. Looks stupid. I only base it on the looks not performance. 

I hate it, card looks ridiculous. 

Ur right. We definitely needed 8 fans just like the old quad-core Voodoo.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

10 hours ago, thekeemo said:

but why are they all so big..

Well.. they do consume as much power at reference clocks as a 1080,  so there's that to factor in for cooling needs.

also, if I'm being honest, I think the XFX card is a winner for design.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR