Enter the RX 480 AIB Cards

tsk
2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

On motherboards they allways do lol.

So no suprise here. :D

True that some of their budget board are like that. 

But I have never seen Msi take the same philosophy to their GPUs. They don't stray much from reference design and usually always have overkill power delivery.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

7 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Ah Msi cheaps out on the vrm cirquitry again.

They never learn it dont they?

Any more custom pcb´s out in the wild allready?

looks like they cut out phase 1 and 2, which would normally be pulling from the slot in the 480 reference design. I don't know if that is the actual reason, but it would make sense. If we see 1 and 2 getting removed on any other custom cards, then I would lean toward this reasoning.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

But I have never seen Msi take the same philosophy to their GPUs. They don't stray much from reference design and usually always have overkill power delivery.

My MSI 390 is built like a tank. I've owned a few MSI cards and they were always overbuilt. Too bad about their motherboards. Never owned one.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Well 4 phases should basicly be enough but still.

As far as their motherboards are concerned they cheap out on the vrm cirquitry at any motherboard.

Even the X99 Godlike gaming which they advertise as 12 phase digital power design is just nonsense.

Because in reality its just 6 phases doubled to 12 pwm (virtual) phases,

similar to what you find on the cheaper Mpower X99 board for example.

12 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

looks like they cut out phase 1 and 2, which would normally be pulling from the slot in the 480 reference design. I don't know if that is the actual reason, but it would make sense. If we see 1 and 2 getting removed on any other custom cards, then I would lean toward this reasoning.

I'm currious to see that yes, but as pcper and toms explain it.

Thats not how vrm cirquitry works of course.

Because powerphases dont come directly from a power connector or pci-e power.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

As far as their motherboards are concerned they cheap out on the vrm cirquitry at any motherboard.

Even the X99 Godlike gaming which they advertise as 12 phase digital power design is just nonsense.

Yes it looks like it'll be fine for the 480. But the downgrade is pretty puzzling to me. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

32 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Yes it looks like it'll be fine for the 480. But the downgrade is pretty puzzling to me. 

Well what @Briggsy said above could be interesting.

Wenn they cut 2 phases off from the pwm, as you can see they take out the inductors and powerstages.

Then it "could" basicly mean that they have cut the traces from the pci-e slot to the hi-side fets of those 2 particular power stages on those phases.

So if thats the case, then it would mean that the remaining 4 phases from the pwm are controlling the vrm for the chip.

On which the hi-side fets of the remaining 4 power stages are connected to the 8 power plug.

Or 3 powerstages fed by the 8 pin and 1 by the pci-e slot.

Thats just my guess, but i´m not fully sure of course.

Further analytics will tell the answer on which particular phases are disabled.

But it would have been nice, if they just had used all 6 those phases.

Currious to see what other board partners have choosed to go with.

46 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

So...I should be glad I went with a Z97 Sabertooth MKII instead of one of the Z97 Mpower range of motherboards?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Any news on pricing/availability?

Really need a GPU right about now (270x is iffy AF recently)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

So...I should be glad I went with a Z97 Sabertooth MKII instead of one of the Z97 Mpower range of motherboards?

Well phase doubling is exaly very common on mainstream platforms like Z97 or Z170 etc.

This is because the amount of input rails you need.

You need phases for Vcore vcc, igpu, vccgt, system agent vccsa, and qpi/vtt vccio, and of course dram.

There are not manny true 8 phase boards for cpu vcore on Z170 main stream platform for example, only the realy higherend ones like the Asus Z170 Deluxe, ROG  maximus 8 extreme and the Z170 WS, The gigabyte highend ones like the Z170X G1 ultra gaming, and the EVGA Z170 classified so out of my head.

Those board have 8 true phases for cpu vcore, because they all use an all digital implementation from IR IR35201 pwm is a 8 phase flex mode pwm.

If a board has 8 true phases for cpu vcore, then it would mean that they have to implement 2 of those pwm´s, and thats why those particular boards are that much more expensive then other boards who just feuture a single pwm, and using phase doubling.

The Msi Z170 Xpower for example, is using a single IR35201 pwm which is kinda unique to see on this particular msi board.

Because Msi normaly uses a cheaper ISL implementation ISL95856 4+3 phase  hybrid pwm running in 4+2+1 phase mode on the Gaming M7 for example.

I think that Gigabyte also using that same ISL pwm on their Gaming 6 and 7 boards if i´m not mistaken.

The Gaming GT and higherend up are using IR implementations.

But the Z170 Xpower titanium is using the IR35201 pwm in 6+2 mode.

Taking 5 phases doubled to 10 for cpu vcore.

Asrock Z170 OC Formula also using the IR35201 pwm in a 6+2 mode, which is also unique.

Since Asrock normaly mainly using ISL implementations aswell.

But they decided to use all 6 phase and double them to 12 for cpu vcore.

This is one of the best implementations i have seen on z170 boards arround the $200,- ish price point.

The Micro ATX version of the Z170 OC Formula uses the same implementation aswell.

But then they only took 4 phases and doubled them to 8 for vcore.

Asus maximus 8 Hero and Formula. also using the same single IR35201 pwm in 6+2 mode.

But on these boards they choosed to take 4 phases and double them to 8 for cpu v core.

Well i think you see where i´m getting at right?

The Asus maximus 8 formula for $355,- is a bit of a rip off as far as vrm implementation goes.

How the vrm implementation on both the Z97 Mpower and Z97 sabertooth mark2 is build.

I could take a closer look at it.

I do know that the Sabertooth Z97 mark1 has 8 true phase implementation from IR the IR3580 8+0 phase pwm..

But not sure about the Mark2.

The Msi Z97 Mpower max has a 6+1 implementation from ISL, ISL6388 hybrid pwm. which they also use on most of their their X99 boards, first and second gen confirmed.

6 phases doubled to 12 virtual pwm phases using ISL6611A phase doublers..

But since haswell has a FiVR pretty much any decent Z97 board be more then fine for overclocking.

Edit: Sorry for the Offtopic!

51 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Any news on pricing/availability?

Really need a GPU right about now (270x is iffy AF recently)

Nothing official yet, but most of these cards should be purchasable by the end of the month. 
Expect prices of 250-300$.

41 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well phase doubling is exaly very common on mainstream platforms like Z97 or Z170 etc.

This is because the amount of input rails you need.

You need phases for Vcore vcc, igpu, vccgt, system agent vccsa, and qpi/vtt vccio, and of course dram.

There are not manny true 8 phase boards for cpu vcore on Z170 main stream platform for example, only the realy higherend ones like the Asus Z170 Deluxe, ROG  maximus 8 extreme and the Z170 WS, The gigabyte highend ones like the Z170X G1 ultra gaming, and the EVGA Z170 classified so out of my head.

Those board have 8 true phases for cpu vcore, because they all use an all digital implementation from IR IR35201 pwm is a 8 phase flex mode pwm.

If a board has 8 true phases for cpu vcore, then it would mean that they have to implement 2 of those pwm´s, and thats why those particular boards are that much more expensive then other boards who just feuture a single pwm, and using phase doubling.

The Msi Z170 Xpower for example, is using a single IR35201 pwm which is kinda unique to see on this particular msi board.

Because Msi normaly uses a cheaper ISL implementation ISL95856 4+3 phase  hybrid pwm running in 4+2+1 phase mode on the Gaming M7 for example.

I think that Gigabyte also using that same ISL pwm on their Gaming 6 and 7 boards if i´m not mistaken.

The Gaming GT and higherend up are using IR implementations.

But the Z170 Xpower titanium is using the IR35201 pwm in 6+2 mode.

Taking 5 phases doubled to 10 for cpu vcore.

Asrock Z170 OC Formula also using the IR35201 pwm in a 6+2 mode, which is also unique.

Since Asrock normaly mainly using ISL implementations aswell.

But they decided to use all 6 phase and double them to 12 for cpu vcore.

This is one of the best implementations i have seen on z170 boards arround the $200,- ish price point.

The Micro ATX version of the Z170 OC Formula uses the same implementation aswell.

But then they only took 4 phases and doubled them to 8 for vcore.

Asus maximus 8 Hero and Formula. also using the same single IR35201 pwm in 6+2 mode.

But on these boards they choosed to take 4 phases and double them to 8 for cpu v core.

Well i think you see where i´m getting at right?

The Asus maximus 8 formula for $355,- is a bit of a rip off as far as vrm implementation goes.

How the vrm implementation on both the Z97 Mpower and Z97 sabertooth mark2 is build.

I could take a closer look at it.

I do know that the Sabertooth Z97 mark1 has 8 true phase implementation from IR the IR3580 8+0 phase pwm..

But not sure about the Mark2.

The Msi Z97 Mpower max has a 6+1 implementation from ISL, ISL6388 hybrid pwm.

6 phases doubled to 12 virtual pwm phases using ISL6611A phase doublers..

But since haswell has a FiVR pretty much any decent Z97 board be more then fine for overclocking.

Edit: Sorry for the Offtopic!

I mainly went Z97 for SLI+the ATX form factor. Overclocking has never been an issue when the VRM on my H87M Pro stay under 70oC while my 4790K is running at 4.8GHz (the 120mm AIO radiator is the limiting factor not the VRM).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I mainly went Z97 for SLI+the ATX form factor. Overclocking has never been an issue when the VRM on my H87M Pro stay under 70oC while my 4790K is running at 4.8GHz (the 120mm AIO radiator is the limiting factor not the VRM).

Well i think its better to take this to sepperate topic.

But you current board is fine :).

Maybe i should start my own review channel.

Since most motherboard reviews are a bad story telling from whats on the back of the box.

And often lacks on interesting information like vrm cirquitry analytics unfortunaly.

BUt i´m a bit too busy with all day life stuff and ofc the Teksyndicate forum.

On 7/9/2016 at 6:14 AM, dionkoffie said:

4gb??? :(

4gb is fur sissies.xD

I'm horrified by how the XFX card is sitting in the slot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

That ASUS Strix model is sexy.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

I like the look of the Gigabyte one.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

9 hours ago, THawkSonYo said:

4gb is fur sissies.xD

Lel. I don't need the extra 4gb. I'm gaming on 1080p and I don't want to pay extra for something I don't use. It's nice to have but nah. 

And is trying to aim for the budget gamers, but instead they're promoted the 8gb and not giving a shit about the 4gb ones.

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

23 minutes ago, dionkoffie said:

Lel. I don't need the extra 4gb. I'm gaming on 1080p and I don't want to pay extra for something I don't use. It's nice to have but nah. 

And is trying to aim for the budget gamers, but instead they're promoted the 8gb and not giving a shit about the 4gb ones.

If you decide later down the line to sell it you well be able to profit bit for it as the 4 gb models well be obsolete by then,  also 8 gb is just better to have even on 1080p because some titles like dumbing resources into the VRAM.  Choose wisely 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

13 hours ago, THawkSonYo said:

4gb is fur sissies.xD

4GB is more than enough to all 1080p games in the world :x

(real 4GB lol) xD (not the fake 3.5GB+0.5 slow GB from nvidia) :ph34r:

On 09/07/2016 at 11:27 AM, tsk said:

Here's from the MSI card:

MSI-Radeon-RX-480-PCB.jpg

What? only 4 power phases? No thank you! Next! :D

3 minutes ago, lukart said:

To be fair its just a midrange card with a TDP of "150W."

You got your Ye Olde MSI 270 that also has a TDP of 150 watts, and the layout is the same for the most part.

msi-radeon-r9-270-gaming-2gb-graphics-ca

3 hours ago, lukart said:

Those 4, plus the Two on the left, plus the two smaller ones in the top left and just SW of the GPU

Are there any rumors or leaks about when these cards will hit the stores? I'm particularly interested in the Nitro version.

Lian-li O11-Dynamic | i7-11700K |  MSI Z590 MAG Tomahawk | 64gb Ripjaws 3200MHz | 1tb Nvme SSD + 6tb HDD RAID | Corsair H115i Cooler | EVGA 850BQ PSU | RTX 3080ti TUF | LG C2 65" & Acer Nitro XV340CK Monitor

Spoiler