Enter the RX 480 AIB Cards

tsk
2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Ermm Asus is super lazy.. they took a 780 cooler and slapped it on..

And essentially 0 warranty.

Not for their PCB. 390/x Strix had the best PCB. The mismatched cooler was the old 290/x DCII

Asus was good. But they weren't "Gigabyte-Bad". 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Not for their PCB. 390/x Strix had the best PCB. The mismatched cooler was the old 290/x DCII

Asus was good. But they weren't "Gigabyte-Bad". 

Still essentially no warranty..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

Still essentially no warranty..

Beats dealing with a card that you have to send back. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Beats dealing with a card that you have to send back. 

At least I can send it back.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

At least I can send it back.

And I don't have to send it back.

;)

And I don't have to send it back.

;)

I wouldnt be so sure.

Its down to luck. You can get DOA or a component just came faulty from the supplier but worked for a while.

I wouldnt be so sure.

Its down to luck. You can get DOA or a component just came faulty from the supplier but worked for a while.

Not with gigabyte uhuh. 

When they launched, the amount of 1 start reviews were sky high. 

DOA, Dead fans, GPUs causing the PC to be unable to shutdown etc etc. You were basically buying into a problem. You have got to wonder why no self-respecting review site wanted to review the card. Its basically an insult to customers. 

Not with gigabyte uhuh. 

When they launched, the amount of 1 start reviews were sky high. 

DOA, Dead fans, GPUs causing the PC to be unable to shutdown etc etc. You were basically buying into a problem. You have got to wonder why no self-respecting review site wanted to review the card. Its basically an insult to customers. 

Can we just agree that both asus and gigabyte should be avoided?

Can we just agree that both asus and gigabyte should be avoided?

Nah. Only gigabyte. I'd trade my PCS+ for a strix since I would basically be going to town with it. 

But my recommended list would be like this:

1. Sapphire 

2. Msi

3. XFX

4. PowerColor/Club 3D 

5. Asus

On 13-7-2016 at 2:59 AM, HalGameGuru said:

Those 4, plus the Two on the left,

Those Two on the left is the memory VR..

5 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Those Two on the left is the memory VR..

The reference card only has one VRM for the VRAM, I would wager those two are from the slot and one is for GPU and one is for VRAM

Ugh, its halfway through July and still not AIB cards, would have gotten one already. I am going to laugh when the 1060 AIBs come out sooner and steal all the potential buyers of the 480.

They're coming next week, but the 1060 is also coming then, too bad AMD couldn't get it ready earlier. 

I bet the board partner cards were almost ready for mass production right after the power draw issues got reported, which made them all step back, drawing a new power design.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

1 hour ago, HalGameGuru said:

The reference card only has one VRM for the VRAM, I would wager those two are from the slot and one is for GPU and one is for VRAM

Nope.

There are 2 sepperate vrm cirquitries on the card 1 for the gpu itself and one for the vram.

On the msi pcb those 2 powerstages and inductors + output capacitors you see on the left is the memory VR consisting out of 2 phases.

On the right you see those 4 phases for the gpu itself.

7 hours ago, thekeemo said:

For me personally it is MSI -> xfx -> gigabyte -> sapphire for amd cards

Like I said somewhere on this forum, I'd prefer the Sapphire or XFX cards. MSI has red on their GPU and it looks like painting it would be harder than the previous Twin Frozr V, and Gigabyte I think is making a triple fan design. Idk I'll have to wait for reviews of the XFX and Sapphire card to maybe help make that choice a little easier.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Cant wait to see more board partner pcb´s.

Very currious to see what what kind of implementation they decided to go with.

Would be nice if there is atleast one of them who have used the full 6 powerphases for the gpu.

Allthough 4 phases should basicly be enough for this gpu.

27 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Like I said somewhere on this forum, I'd prefer the Sapphire or XFX cards. MSI has red on their GPU and it looks like painting it would be harder than the previous Twin Frozr V, and Gigabyte I think is making a triple fan design. Idk I'll have to wait for reviews of the XFX and Sapphire card to maybe help make that choice a little easier.

If they a Hawk card that'll have yellow on it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

35 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Nope.

There are 2 sepperate vrm cirquitries on the card 1 for the gpu itself and one for the vram.

On the msi pcb those 2 powerstages and inductors + output capacitors you see on the left is the memory VR consisting out of 2 phases.

On the right you see those 4 phases for the gpu itself.

Do we have an EE's confirmation on this? Reference only had one phase for VRAM and unless they went and used way lower spec parts for their phases 2 is overkill for the VRAM.

8 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Do we have an EE's confirmation on this? Reference only had one phase for VRAM and unless they went and used way lower spec parts for their phases 2 is overkill for the VRAM.

Not at all, its very common to use 2 phases for ram.

Its done on allmost every motherboard today.

except for the enthusiast platform with 8 dimm slots.

For those there are 2 sepperate memory VR´s on the X99 boards, which consists of 2 phases for each set of 4 dimms.

And an additional VPP phase.

I'm not discounting the use of multiple phases for RAM, I am questioning opting for 2 phases on the graphics card when the presumptive components in use can handle the VRAM with tons of headroom just from a single phase. And more phases for the GPU will provide a better environment for the VRAM by default as over draw and ripple are a known concern for the 480.

If they go 2 phase for VRAM that's fine I just haven't seen anyone specify by the traces what it is.

18 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

I'm not discounting the use of multiple phases for RAM, I am questioning opting for 2 phases on the graphics card when the presumptive components in use can handle the VRAM with tons of headroom just from a single phase. And more phases for the GPU will provide a better environment for the VRAM by default as over draw and ripple are a known concern for the 480.

If they go 2 phase for VRAM that's fine I just haven't seen anyone specify by the traces what it is.

Yeah but it wont make any sense to use 5 phases for the gpu,

routing the last phase all arround the socket.

If they would have used 5 phases, then they would have kept them on the right side all together.

because you want to keep your traces as short as possible.

I´m pretty much conviced that they used 4 phases for gpu and 2 phases for the vram.

But those phases dont come from the same pwm most likely.

Note that i talk about the Msi custom RX480 pcb.

With 4 phases for the gpu and 2 phases for the vram.

On 9-7-2016 at 0:27 PM, tsk said:

Here's from the MSI card:

MSI-Radeon-RX-480-PCB.jpg

@HalGameGuru this Msi pcb is that i´m talking about.

I think its easier to explain it with this picture in upfront.

You see on the right you have those 4 phases, those are for the gpu.

Those 2 phases on the left are for the memory VR.

You can also see it due the diffrence in inductors aswell.

The memory VR uses diffrent inductors.

7 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Yeah but it wont make any sense to use 5 phases for the gpu,

routing the last phase all arround the socket.

If they would have used 5 phases, then they would have kept them on the right side all together.

because you want to keep your traces as short as possible.

I´m pretty much conviced that they used 4 phases for gpu and 2 phases for the vram.

But those phases dont come from the same pwm most likely.

Not sure if you understand vrm cirquitry?

Yet the reference has the VRAM VRM right next to the 6 pin but pulling from the slot, and all GPU phases between the GPU and the backplate but pulling from both the slot and the 6pin? Although they do appear to have kept the Aux and 0.9v phase on the west end. It would seem more likely that way, since there are 2 empty phase locations for the existing controller, although some were saying there was some VRM components on the back of the PCB and we do not know what that is. My only concern is that they used as high spec parts as ref so that there is still ample headroom for what draw there may be rather than skimping.