Most Game developers are sexist? Apparently yes.....

AlTech
1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well I mean Hilary is the female equivalent of Donald trump...

well i don't think so but let's not argue about that any longer.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Why does anyone even care? Does it matter if doomguy is a guy or a girl? It doesn't really make an impact on how well you shoot a demon's head off. Furthermore, there is a strong likelyhood that the gender of the protagonist will reflect the one of the writer, who is more often than not male. That's not because they're sexist, it's because they find it easier to develop a good story if they can identify with the protagonist.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

40 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I can find out..........

Please do, I think that people who see gender as a selling point in a game to be the minority. I have yet to hear about a person who didn't by a game because "it has a woman as the main character".

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If it had a women on the front, most PC gamers who are guys would not buy it.

I would like to know how you came to that conclusion because it is plain wrong. 

Since FemFreq is annoying as it gets, I'd like to see the list of all games that were in the study. But let's break down some of them:

Battlefield 1 - women in the army from 1914 to 1918, that makes no sense (not talking about hospitals).

God of War - what is there to talk about? Female lead? Am I missing something here? It's not Goddess of War.

New Zelda - Female Lead? Well it almost happened apparently but it still makes no sense, Link is a male. Period. That's like making Mario a female just because they want more female leads. Though it would be fun to see if they made a female link and a princ Zelda. Ha! They would explode!

RE7 - We know nothing afaik, it might be a female lead for all we know, but I'll bet they didn't take that in the study, did they now?

The last Guardian - It's been a kid lead since... 2007? Let's change that after almost a decade of... development. At least I think it was being developed all this time.

ME:A - we saw both male and female characters, so which one is lead is not of importance. It's a ME game and we all know how they work. They even say:

whereas with the original Mass Effect trilogy, almost all promotional materials used the male version of Shepard.

but naturally, no mention how the original concept for Shepard was a woman. I'm not going in that debate again.

Let's continue:

Dishonored 2 - Yes both are playable, but they are showing clearly Emily as the main character in every video! I mean it's what they were complaining about ME few rows above but no, let's ignore that for the sake of ignoring.

Batman - Arkham VR - um... it's called Batman?

Deus Ex: MD - HR had the same male protagonist and this is his story. If you want a female lead write to devs to make a different game.

New Quake - well there is probably no in depth story, you go in and kill, so how do you expect a female lead is beyond me. Same as UT, Overwatch and so on and so forth.

Mafia 3 - it's a well known thing that it's always been (mostly) men in any Mafia organisations in the history. Might as well blame people that made such organisations. Or would they be happy about a woman going on a killing spree just because?

Death Stranding - well I'm sure you can blame the friendship between Reedus and Kojima. 

FFXV - Seeing how we had female group like in X-2, no reason to argue about all male characters right? Or are we going for double standards? 

Vampyr - I'd like to see their reaction if this game had a bloodsucking female doctor main character. Maybe that would be the best embodiment of themselves.

Days Gone - they can argue about this one for all I care. Except then they would have to change the story how her husband/boyfriend died, then she learned to ride etc etc. Would be a first time for a female character to survive alone in a zombie apocalypse now that I think about it.

I am Setsuna - Of course this was not mentioned since it's probably under "both genders". Yes it's a JRPG but the story is build around a girl named Setsuna that has to sacrifice herself. The game is named after her for gods sake!

I think this is enough, this was just to show how in some places you can't place female leads and how they cherry pick info. Same how I wouldn't want a Bayonetta or Mirror's Edge with a male lead (talking about the story about Faith, I don't care what gender protagonist might be in another spin-off game), you can't expect to fit a female character in everything just because gender equality. 

Now lets focus on this:

Dishonored 2 and Mass Effect: Andromeda were two of 29 games in which you either choose to play as male or female characters, or in which the gender of your character or characters appears to be unspecified, such as Fe. Of course, the option to choose is welcome. However, a purely binary understanding of gender was once again on display, with no games indicating the ability to choose from a wider range of gender identities and expressions.

At least they admit that the option to choose is welcome but I'm sorry but what the hell are they expecting? Wider range of gender identities and expression? Let's make a game where you'll select for 30 min what do you think your gender is and so on. To be clear, I am talking purely about games and their arguments. First it was about female leads, now it's a bout something different. I personally have a few friends from LGBT community that are gamers, and neither once have I heard from they how they want more gender identities. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The game I am planning on making will have a male protagonist, perhaps a female villain (I hadn't considered that).

COME AT ME FEMINAZI'S

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

The game I am planning on making will have a male protagonist, perhaps a female villain (I hadn't considered that).

COME AT ME FEMINAZI'S

JUST DO IT!

DO IT!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

26 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

COME AT ME FEMINAZI'S

I'm assuming the villain will be called Sanita Farkeesian. 

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'm assuming the villain will be called Sanita Farkeesian. 

I could add her in as an easter egg lol.

Just a random NPC trying to "educate" some bandits/raiders, and it would not end well for her.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I could add her in as an easter egg lol.

Just a random NPC trying to "educate" some bandits/raiders, and it would not end well for her.

Please do note the spelling. That way you can avoid the ensuing lawsuit (probably not) 

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Please do note the spelling. That way you can avoid the ensuing lawsuit (probably not) 

Oh the character would just be called "anita".

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

while only 3% featured exclusively a female protagonist.

Everything wrong with feminazis right here

Dishonored 2 has a separate unique story for both its female and male protagonist, yet it "doesn't count", because you have choice

EDIT: also let's not forget that the companies rich enough to feature at E3 make up 0.00000001% of diversity in games. Especially because they're the most risk-averse companies in the business. Just don't buy their games, simple (and in the case of EA, Activision and Ubisoft, you shouldn't in the first place)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What? What am I doing wrong?

They could have allowed people to choose between a male or female character!

but theres games like witcher which is based off a male protagonist from books

38 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

COME AT ME FEMINAZI'S

LOL

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

that's not what the media taught me, that's my personal experience. 95% of the women i met in my life were much more polite and not that big of an asshole than most male i've met.

And for sure there are women out there that are assholes and brutal and so on, but there are way more males that are just bigger assholes. Or is there an female equivalent of donald trump I missed?

And one thing for sure: If Rockstar made a female Trevor, feminists would shoot through the roof and wanting Rockstar to stop selling the game

Ann Coulter, Sarah Palin, Judge Jeanine, to name a few.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yes, a female hero fighting dudes with 250 pounds of muscle makes sense. The sad reality is that unless you give them super power, most female characters would break immersion in the kind of games they would replace the male protagonists. Unless you somehow make all the women in video games: Lady Brienne of Tarth.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Tbh i prefer to play with a female character, if i have to look at an ass for hours it can be at least a nice one...

Anyway, usually mods fix this issue sooo yea... It would be nice to have at least a choise but whatever :D

I'm a straight guy, just to make that clear.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

-snip-

Didn't know that existed :D

I enjoyed alice madness returns tbh, it was nice.

Maybe it's a bit too much for me but being able to play as a girl is all i'm asking...

It would be nice if games just give you the choice, a story can easily be independent of a gender.

I think saints row 3 and 4 is a nice example :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Dishonored 2 has a separate unique story for both its female and male protagonist, yet it "doesn't count", because you have choice

It's even more interesting that they don't mention Dishonored 2 and how Emily is in all pro material, but they call out Mass Effect and how even though you have a choice, male Shep was primarily in focus.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

b-b-b-b-bayonttaaaaaa

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

35 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It's even more interesting that they don't mention Dishonored 2 and how Emily is in all pro material, but they call out Mass Effect and how even though you have a choice, male Shep was primarily in focus.

It doesn't support the narrative.

There is absolutely no reason to dispute your own words. /s

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Now lets focus on this:

At least they admit that the option to choose in welcome but I'm sorry but what the hell are they expecting? Wider range of gender identities and expression? Let's make a game where you'll select for 30 min what do you think your gender is and so on. To be clear, I am talking purely about games and their arguments. First it was about female leads, now it's a bout something different. I personally have a few friends from LGBT community that are gamers, and neither once have I heard from they how they want more gender identities. Maybe someone here will have something more to say about this.

Even as someone that believes gender is a lot more fluid than society has led us to believe I find all of these so-called "gender identities" to be bullshit. People just want to be special little snowflakes and can't stand the thought that they are like everyone else and no one is special. These little morons have been raised to believe they need to be coddled by society and can't handle the real world where no one gives a damn about them.

6 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

that's not what the media taught me, that's my personal experience.

This is what we call anecdotal evidence. And to me, it's worst than citing biased media.

-------

Current Rig

-------

We should go to some fashion show & start yelling out sexism as each female models come out since there aren't any male masculine counterpart to balance & oppress teach through harsh words to them that sexism isn't a game..

if it was a game pretty sure the main character shouldn't be a female because they never oppress anybody only males does!

Details separate people.