Most Game developers are sexist? Apparently yes.....

AlTech
1 hour ago, Volbet said:

I'll look into that. 

I also just remembered that I have played quite a bit of Fran Bow recently.

That game also features a female lead character (man, now I want to play Fran Bow again). 

please don't

it's made by Brianna Wu and it looks so bad it's not even funny

please dont.png

I make bad life decisions.

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

*thinks about derailing this thread super hard with religious stuff*
*nah*

btw: gaben created the universe

I'd say that's more of a joke than trying to start something.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I dunno... I don't look at the matter as 'there are this many games being made, so this many should contain this gender as their protagonist'. I see game-making as something people do, to create ideas that they have. If I make a game, and the character I imagine being in it, and create for it is male, then that had nothing to do with sexism. If a lot of other people, perhaps mostly male people, makes games that reflect the ideas they had, and the main character is a male, then I don't really see sexism in that.

Sexism isn't about ratios, but a disparaging attitude towards a particular sex. Not having female characters as protagonists because the character thought of is male, is not sexist. Females could design games and make female protagonists, and they do, but there are far fewer of them, and that's reflected in the games that are made.

If I make a game, it's mine to make according to how I'd like it to be, just like a person who makes a drawing is entitled to draw whatever it is they would like to draw. Sexism doesn't particularly come into things.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, mikat said:

the gaben part?

Naw, @huilun02's post.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I hope the post is ironic, I can't take it seriously. xD

What's next ... feminists accusing video game developers for having playable female characters with attractive "backs"?! xD

And why is this even in "news"?! 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I hate when these so called " Feminists " say " ALWAYS MALE AND FOREVER MALES  AND SINCE AM FEMALE THEREFORE AM RIGHT AND DON'T QUESTION IT BEACUSE THAT MEANS YOUR SEXIST"

I have connected with MANY female characters in games. Lara Croft? She wanted me to feel like exploring the world and being enticed into doing what you want to do, Ellie from the last of us, wanting to be strong and courageous in the face of adversity.

Lightning from Final Fantasy, challenging your fate and who you are doesn't mean you can't change it.

it's ridiculous on how everything is just now " Sexism" " Female hating" and stuff like that.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

3 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

I hate when these so called " Feminists " say " ALWAYS MALE AND FOREVER MALES  AND SINCE AM FEMALE THEREFORE AM RIGHT AND DON'T QUESTION IT BEACUSE THAT MEANS YOUR SEXIST"

I have connected with MANY female characters in games. Lara Croft? She wanted me to feel like exploring the world and being enticed into doing what you want to do, Ellie from the last of us, wanting to be strong and courageous in the face of adversity.

Lightning from Final Fantasy, challenging your fate and who you are doesn't mean you can't change it.

it's ridiculous on how everything is just now " Sexism" " Female hating" and stuff like that.

Your signature is relevant. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

What the fuck is wrong with Anita? You might read this and think "oh this is terrible, only 9% of games contain a female protagonist!?" and then if you look more into it you realize that she is complaining about games not solely having a female protagonist. Sure, only 2 of the games forced you to play as a woman. However, if you include all the games that allows you to play as either a guy or a girl, and also add in games where the protagonist is genderless, you find that the number of female protagonists shoots up to 59%.

"Baww only 59% of games at E3 appealed to me since I am incapable of playing a game that has a protagonist of the opposite gender bawww".

How can you think giving users the option to play as a male or female character is a bad thing? Oh right, feminism isn't about equality anymore. It's about man hating. Fuck giving users choice and appealing to everyone. It should be women only.

15 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what does a male protagonist have to do with female inability to play video games, i think it's you that's being sexist here

I for one didn't even think about the protagonists gender until you drew my attention to it

I think the problem is that for some people (read: feminazis), their gender is their entire identity. They live, breath and eat to be women. Therefore they can in no way relate to anything that isn't female.

26 minutes ago, EarthboundHero said:

Is OP's post satirical? Because honestly, who the hell cares? They know their audience.

Apart from the fact that half of gamers are women I believe.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

So the majority let the player pick their own gender, or the central character had no gender, surely this is a win for gender equality?

Generally PC and console games are played by guys, so if the setting of the game requires the dev to pick a gender for the central character, from a sales perspective it makes sense to make the central character a man.

Plus if a game dev made a female character as depraved and repulsive as GTA Vs Trevor, feminists would go nuts.

A lot of people here think op is trolling or dont care, but I see their point. Had the  percentage be somewhere like 70% or lower I wouldnt care as well, but damn thats high. 

If I had to make up  some excuses for why this is the case id say its due to a few factors

1. Males make up the majority of their target
  2. Many video games have characters that depend on physical strength so a male is an easier choice in those cases
  3. I imagine movies have a very similar ratio for the above reasons if you were to compare movies with narratives that could easily be adapted into video games. Which is to say that the type of story where a male is easier to fit in occurs more often in videogames.

System Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  
Storage: Western Digital Blue 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  

Displays: PlayStation® 3D Display (1080p)

Displays: VA1948M (900p)
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM  140mm Fan 
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 75.0 CFM  120mm Fans  
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse 

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I thought that was only when you include mobile games. Just from the people I work with in the office (not the largest sample size admittedly)  I know no women in the office who play console or PC games, but about 75% play games on their phones, whereas about half the guys in my office are at console/PC gamers, and are far less bothered about mobile games.

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

I thought that was only when you include mobile games. Just from the people I work with in the office (not the largest sample size admittedly)  I know no women in the office who play console or PC games, but about 75% play games on their phones, whereas about half the guys in my office are at console/PC gamers, and are far less bothered about mobile games.

I wouldn't exactly call one office a good sample.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

30 minutes ago, Albatross said:

lol

the logic of some people.

What? What am I doing wrong?

28 minutes ago, Volbet said:

And if they had made female lead character they would have been accused of using them as eye cand, and objectifying them for the sake of the male audience members. 

There is no winning in this scenario.

If these people want female character they are free to make their own games. Hell, I'll even play the game if it's good. 

My best guess is that mos t game developers are men, and therefor they find it easier to makes games that feature men. 

They could have allowed people to choose between a male or female character!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, UnknownSentientBeing said:

A lot of people here think op is trolling or dont care, but I see their point. Had the  percentage be somewhere like 70% or lower I wouldnt care as well, but damn thats high. 

If I had to make up  some excuses for why this is the case id say its due to a few factors

1. Males make up the majority of their target
  2. Many video games have characters that depend on physical strength so a male is an easier choice in those cases
  3. I imagine movies have a very similar ratio for the above reasons if you were to compare movies with narratives that could easily be adapted into video games. Which is to say that the type of story where a male is easier to fit in occurs more often in videogames.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

The only games where I played as a female protagonist were Minecraft: Story Mode and Life is Strange.

That's it!

All the other games I play focus on a man as the main character. I also own tomb raider but I haven't really touched that.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I firmly believe game devs shouldn't be pushed to add a character of a specific gender into their games.  If they feel the role of main protagonist is better suited for a female/male, then ao be it.  After all,  there have been great games featuring both sexes (and im not talking about games like fallout or mass effect with customizable characters). 

#gamergate really has kept it's meaning after all : game critics pushing their agenda into video games

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What? What am I doing wrong?

I'm referring to the people who think this is sexism at play....if you are among them, then sadly I am including you in that. You can't expect them them to just add females because you people want them in there. It is their stories and their choices. If they feel a man is what they wanted, you need to get over it. It isn't sexism.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I hope you realise that most singleplayer games are closely following a story, expect if it's an RPG that doesn't focus that much on the main character. Adding a choice for a female protagonist, including new assets and altering the story is a waste of resources just because a small percentage of people are so butthurt about it. 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

13 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Only if you include games like Farmville, Candy Crush and other casual/mobile games.

If you look at the demographic that are interested in events like E3 then the ratio of men:women chances dramatically. Just look at any E3 video and you will see like 15 men for every woman (not counting hosts).

9 minutes ago, UnknownSentientBeing said:

Look at my post above. It only seems high because they are excluding games where you can choose to play either as a male or female character.

The Verge says that the percent of female protagonist exclusive games has dropped since last year, but fail to mention that the number of games where you can play either male or female has increased.

This article is complaining that games now give players the choice which gender the character should be, and they dress it up as if that's a bad thing.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

That's what they are doing. Read the article. The number of games where you can choose between male and female characters has increased. The article is complaining that the number of games where you don't have any choice but to play as a female character has dropped. They are arguing against letting players choose between a man or a woman.

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

I'm referring to the people who think this is sexism at play....if you are among them, then sadly I am including you in that.

They're also business at play..........

If you put a guy on the main character for a PC game, generally speaking most guys who are PC gamers would consider buying it.

If it had a women on the front, most PC gamers who are guys would not buy it.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

SOnly if you include games like Farmville, Candy Crush and other casual/mobile games.

If you look at the demographic that are interested in events like E3 then the ratio of men:women chances dramatically. Just look at any E3 video and you will see like 15 men for every woman (not counting hosts).

Look at my post above. It only seems high because they are excluding games where you can choose to play either as a male or female character.

The Verge says that the percent of female protagonist exclusive games has dropped since last year, but fail to mention that the number of games where you can play either male or female has increased.

This article is complaining that games now give players the choice which gender the character should be, and they dress it up as if that's a bad thing.

That's what they are doing. Read the article. The number of games where you can choose between male and female characters has increased. The article is complaining that the number of games where you don't have any choice but to play as a female character has dropped. They are arguing against letting players choose between a man or a woman.

Game Producers might argue that some games are better suited to having a women as the main character.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

They're also business at play..........

If you put a guy on the main character for a PC game, generally speaking most guys who are PC gamers would consider buying it.

If it had a women on the front, most PC gamers who are guys would not buy it.

Business reasons are not the same as "sexist" reasons. It is wise to build a product around a larger audience.

And what? I don't know any gamer male who wouldn't buy a game because a female is on the front. In what world do you live in? Most males tend to play female avatars in games when they have a choice. lol

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |