GTX 1080 cannot maintain its boost clock while gaming and slows down to 1607 Mhz

Bhav

Everyone needs to see this video:

The boost clock enables the cards to pull out bigger numbers in reviews and benchmarks that use open case systems at which the boost clock can be maintained.

However, when tested inside an actual PC case, the GPU rises to 85 degrees within just 5 minutes of gaming, causing the GPU clock to deactivate its boost and throttle down to 1607 Mhz.

******** THIS ACTUALLY MAKES THE GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION AROUND 10% SLOWER THAN A FACTORY OVERCLOCKED 980 Ti AT 1440p ********

Linus is my fetish.

surprise reference coolers are bad in most cases :D 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Nvidia's GPU boost sucks more than my Dyson.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Reference coolers can't maximize the card's potential? Wow. In other news, the sky is blue, 2+2=4, Batman > Superman and the doge meme will never get old.

Spoiler

14ks7g.jpg

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Reference coolers can't maximize the card's potential? Wow. In other news, the sky is blue, 2+2=4, Batman > Superman and the doge meme will never get old.

Reveal hidden contents

14ks7g.jpg

I still see lots of people that think reference blower coolers are better, and arent aware of such things.

Linus is my fetish.

Let's just wait until the board partners and AMD have everything out there, i think stuff will change then.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I still see lots of people that think reference blower coolers are better, and arent aware of such things.

Probably the same saps who are going to run out and be price gouged by the Founder's Edition next week. Let's see how Windforce and ACX 2.0 versions of the 1080 perform before writing the whole thing off as a thermal disaster. We both knew that the actual lab test benchmarks would be less impressive than NVIDIA's apparent "plug in an air-cooled 1080, throw the CPU in a vat of liquid nitrogen then show off the overclock temps" demo was xD

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

The fan curve out the box is a POS from my understanding. Simply boosting the power limit, temp target and/or sorting out the fan curve fixes it. Also, the founder's cooler is "a lot quieter, believe it or not, than the 980Ti and the Titan X at 80%, than these [980ti and Titan X] were at 50%" so higher fan speeds aren't going to be throwing up a load of noise.

ThineMcSauce

Doubt many care about this to be honest.

Reference coolers are terrible.
Only reason to even get a founder's edition is if you want to rip that thing apart and put a water cooler on it :D

For the rest who plan to buy these, we'll get the custom coolers, that mind you, also cost a lot less..

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

They're better in the sense that it throws the hot air our the arse end of the case. So it helps with ambient temps inside a pc case, but it's worse for cooling the GPU  itself, than a non-reference cooler.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

2 hours ago, Bhav said:

The boost clock enables the cards to pull out bigger numbers in reviews and benchmarks that use open case systems at which the boost clock can be maintained.

However, when tested inside an actual PC case, the GPU rises to 85 degrees within just 5 minutes of gaming, causing the GPU clock to deactivate its boost and throttle down to 1607 Mhz.

******** THIS ACTUALLY MAKES THE GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION AROUND 10% SLOWER THAN A FACTORY OVERCLOCKED 980 Ti AT 1440p ********

He's a great guy with great info. I was not surprised since the 1080 did seem to be too good to be true. especially at that price point. which is total bullshit since it's only 600$ in the us. everywhere else it's more like 800-900$.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

32 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

They're better in the sense that it throws the hot air our the arse end of the case. So it helps with ambient temps inside a pc case, but it's worse for cooling the GPU  itself, than a non-reference cooler.

Blower coolers are really good for small for factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

that was to be expected.

and if you look at reviews like PCPer and Tom's Hardware then they too show how the 1080 gradually lowers the clock from 2000+ to 1700 in just 60 seconds of the test.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

3 hours ago, Bhav said:

Thanks for spreading the word and making this thread 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

3 hours ago, IcEWoLF said:

Yep, only fools would get the founders edition lol.

like two weeks ago people on here were selling their 980ti like crazy

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

28 minutes ago, Suika said:

Still going to get rid of my 980 Ti Classified for one lol.

So how much cash do you have laying around?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

6 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

So how much cash do you have laying around?

Assuming nothing goes wrong, I have EVGA Step-Up on my side.

Yea, I bought a 980 Ti when I shouldn't have, but no regrets.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Just now, Suika said:

Assuming nothing goes wrong, I have EVGA Step-Up on my side.

Ah makes sense now. Was wondering why you would pay so much for only a 15% increase, and that's without overclocking the 980 Ti.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

Ah makes sense now. Was wondering why you would pay so much for only a 15% increase, and that's without overclocking the 980 Ti.

Well, my Classified is probably the worst overclocker I've owned to date, so if I can overclock the 1080 at all, it'll be a more significant upgrade.

I have +25MHz on my Classy with +50mV. Anything higher is unstable.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Just now, Suika said:

Well, my Classified is probably the worst overclocker I've owned to date, so if I can overclock the 1080 at all, it'll be a more significant upgrade.

I have +25MHz on my Classy with +50mV. Anything higher is unstable.

Wow that sucks. Hitting 1500Mhz on my MSI Gaming, albeit with near dangerous voltage, but safe for now. I turn it to 1440MHz and reduce the volts for actual use.