GTX 1080 cannot maintain its boost clock while gaming and slows down to 1607 Mhz

Bhav
28 minutes ago, Suika said:

Just so we're clear, I didn't step into a game. I bought the cheapest GTX 980 Ti available, I have a total of $600 invested into this card, well below MSRP. Pretty damn good sale for a card titled, "Classified," huh? I didn't buy into marketing hype, I didn't go "balls to the walls," I just got the cheapest item with the highest level of performance. I used tools I was already familiar with, and saw no success. Considering this is a mere hobby, not something I mock people over as if it were going out of fashion, I neglected further researching the card and assumed it was just a bad chip, and was stunned it would be put on a Classified board. I hadn't a single idea of reaching an absurd clock nor did I ever expect being able to achieve that on my card as I wasn't interested in going for a full water-cooled loop or other exotic cooling methods, I just wanted a 980 Ti for cheap and a modest overclock, and I thought this Classy could give me that.

I'm a casual hobbyist with a fetish for high-end equipment, but it's nice to see that there's an extremely unpleasant community surrounding the "over-the-top" enthusiast segment. Sorry for making what I thought was an excellent purchase.

Yet, you're here complaining at how you couldn't get it to overclock well.  +1

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

18 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

Yet, you're here complaining at how you couldn't get it to overclock well.  +1

Some people just don't understand that trying to OC a factory OC'd card is a hit and miss as those GPU's are binned to the specific OC they are running at. If it actually does go much higher, you can consider yourself extremely luck in the silicone lottery...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

That's not really true either...with the right voltages and power limits (custom bios), you'd be pretty hard pressed to see a GM200 that couldn't at least hit 1450 on the core, and with lower ambient temps and better cooling, most of them, can go much higher.  At least, that's been my experience when helping people with custom bios files and helping them setup their overclocks....many times, after they had thrown their hands up and given up entirely.  The GM204s clock even higher...anything less than 1500 on a 204 would be a severe disappointment. 

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

14 hours ago, ch0g0nda said:

No doubt, lol. I'm just sitting here smiling because I feel as good now about my $400 980 as I did before the 1080 numbers dropped. I wanted a 1440p-proof card from Pascal, not the king of 1080p, but the name of the card does say it all, no?

waht? The 1080 is still more powerful than a 980, it's just not faster than a 980 Ti with that stock cooler and only if the 980 Ti in question has a decent overclock.

Calling it the 1080p because of its name is just idiotic, especially when you're acting smug about a card that is worse.

A custom cooled one will be fine for 1440p, albeit just not much faster than an OCed 980 Ti.

However it isn't worth paying more for a 1080 than a 980 Ti IMO. Normally in the UK, previous gen cards go on big sales after the new gen launches, so if I spot 980 Tis fall below £300 anywhere, I might just upgrade to those.

Linus is my fetish.

On 23/05/2016 at 11:50 AM, othertomperson said:

waht? The 1080 is still more powerful than a 980, it's just not faster than a 980 Ti with that stock cooler and only if the 980 Ti in question has a decent overclock.

Calling it the 1080p because of its name is just idiotic, especially when you're acting smug about a card that is worse.

I qualified my statement by saying that I expected the 1080 to be 1440p-proof, which it isn't.

Wanna talk stupid? Shall we begin with reading comprehension or manners?

On 23/05/2016 at 8:09 AM, Vellinious said:

That's not really true either...with the right voltages and power limits (custom bios), you'd be pretty hard pressed to see a GM200 that couldn't at least hit 1450 on the core, and with lower ambient temps and better cooling, most of them, can go much higher.  At least, that's been my experience when helping people with custom bios files and helping them setup their overclocks....many times, after they had thrown their hands up and given up entirely.  The GM204s clock even higher...anything less than 1500 on a 204 would be a severe disappointment. 

Do it mean the big Pascal will not be able to hit 2100Mhz+ like the 1080?

Yes?  No?  Maybe?  

18 hours ago, ch0g0nda said:

I qualified my statement by saying that I expected the 1080 to be 1440p-proof, which it isn't.

Wanna talk stupid? Shall we begin with reading comprehension or manners?

I don't want to talk stupid, but you keep insisting.

I know you are claiming the 1080 is not "1440p-proof" but the lower-performing 980 Ti card is. The 1080 only performs less well than a 980 Ti when the 980 Ti has a decent overclock on it and the 1080 has the fan profile set to its default. It doesn't get any less stupid the more times you keep saying it.

The 1080 is a decent 4K card, let alone 1440p. The benchmarks I've seen put it between 40 and 60 fps depending on the game with MSAA enabled.

2 hours ago, othertomperson said:

I don't want to talk stupid, but you keep insisting.

I know you are claiming the 1080 is not "1440p-proof" but the lower-performing 980 Ti card is. The 1080 only performs less well than a 980 Ti when the 980 Ti has a decent overclock on it and the 1080 has the fan profile set to its default. It doesn't get any less stupid the more times you keep saying it.

The 1080 is a decent 4K card, let alone 1440p. The benchmarks I've seen put it between 40 and 60 fps depending on the game with MSAA enabled.

Great. Enjoy your 1080.

The 1080FE is a money grasp from Nvidia. Dont buy it, wait for Msi gtx 1080 with the twin frozr cooler.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4,3GHz - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 - Evga SuperNova 750W PSU - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD - Gainward GTX 1080 GS - BenQ xl2411T 144hz - Cooler Master Haf-X Big Tower Nvidia Edition