Google's Tensor Processing Unit could advance Moore's Law 7 years into the future

CtW

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3072256/google-io/googles-tensor-processing-unit-said-to-advance-moores-law-seven-years-into-the-future.html

tpu 2

Forget the CPU, GPU, and FPGA, Google says its Tensor Processing Unit, or TPU, advances machine learning capability by a factor of three generations.

“TPUs deliver an order of magnitude higher performance per watt than all commercially available GPUs and FPGA,” said Google CEO Sundar Pichai during the company’s I/O developer conference on Wednesday.

TPUs have been a closely guarded secret of Google, but Pichai said the chips powered the AlphaGo computer that beat Lee Sedol, the world champion in the incredibly complicated game called Go.

Pichai didn’t go into details of the Tensor Processing Unit but the company did disclose a little more information in a blog posted on the same day as Pichai’s revelation. 

“We’ve been running TPUs inside our data centers for more than a year, and have found them to deliver an order of magnitude better-optimized performance per watt for machine learning. This is roughly equivalent to fast-forwarding technology about seven years into the future (three generations of Moore’s Law),” the blog said. “TPU is tailored to machine learning applications, allowing the chip to be more tolerant of reduced computational precision, which means it requires fewer transistors per operation. Because of this, we can squeeze more operations per second into the silicon, use more sophisticated and powerful machine learning models, and apply these models more quickly, so users get more intelligent results more rapidly.”

The tiny TPU can fit into a hard drive slot within the data center rack and has already been powering RankBrain and Street View, the blog said.

This chip appears to be an ASIC ie; it can only do one thing but do it really well. If that were true, it wouldn't surprise me as Google has clearly stated that this is for machine learning. Never the less, this is pretty cool. While I don't see something like this being available to consumers (meybe as a machine learning dev kit of sorts, but that's unlikely) this is much more likely to be sold to enterprises and universities interested in machine learning.

inb4 "but can it run minecraft/minesweeper/crysis?"

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Wait, did anyone do the math on this?  They said an order of magnitude better, so that's 10x, but they said 7 years also.  7 years worth of progress at a rate of doubling every 18 months would be ~25.4x and 7 years doubling every 24 months would be 11.3x.  so, I guess we're going with the doubling every two years definition?  Could have sworn it was 18 months... o.O

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait, did anyone do the math on this?  They said an order of magnitude better, so that's 10x, but they said 7 years also.  7 years worth of progress at a rate of doubling every 18 months would be ~25.4x and 7 years doubling every 24 months would be 11.3x.  so, I guess we're going with the doubling every two years definition?  Could have sworn it was 18 months... o.O

People use the term "order of magnitude" very casually these days. It has stopped having an actual mathematical meaning in non-sciencey conversation.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

People use the term "order of magnitude" very casually these days. It has stopped having an actual mathematical meaning in non-sciencey conversation.

well it's close enough to the 11.3x factor of 7 years' worth of doubling every 2 years.  I just could have sworn the time span was 18 months, not 24.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well it's close enough to the 11.3x factor of 7 years' worth of doubling every 2 years.  I just could have sworn the time span was 18 months, not 24.

Pretty sure it was 18 months. So 25.4 would make more sense if we take Google's words at face value.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Pretty sure it was 18 months. So 25.4 would make more sense if we take Google's words at face value.

but that doesn't line up... 25 times is more than an order of magnitude - enough more that you'd think they'd word it differently to sound more impressive

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

but that doesn't line up... 25 times is more than an order of magnitude - enough more that you'd think they'd word it differently to sound more impressive

Well, strictly speaking it's also less than two orders of magnitude. And it's hard to think of non-natural orders of magnitude so Google may have played it safe by saying that instead of wildly claiming 2 orders, or using the actual number of 25x. I've a feeling "an order of magnitude higher" sounds better to the public (because they're fancy words) than "25 times the performance".

But I'm no marketing major.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Aytex said:

im gonna get one for minecraft

14 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

@Aytex was faster to the draw, it seems.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

"Moore's law" is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

25 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

short answer:

no

it cant

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Pfft, pascal is already 10x so 25x isnt that impressive /s

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

21 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

"Moore's law" is the observation that, over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years.

huh... I could swear something was 18 months... maybe that was storage space... or maybe I'm just imagining things

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

huh... I could swear something was 18 months... maybe that was storage space... or maybe I'm just imagining things

The period is often quoted as 18 months because of Intel executive David House, who predicted that chip performance would double every 18 months (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and the transistors being faster)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Moore's law is a law concerning density of semiconductors.

This does nothing to the density of semiconductors and it doesn't let you run conventional programs faster. It lets Google  run machine learning algorithms faster, only bringing closer the day at which their data centers become sentient and take over the world.

order of magnitude PERFORMANCE PER WATT. It's a very nuanced quote

i think google just pooped all over Nvidia's plans, during tesla P100 event, Nvidia explained how deep learning is the new market, and how they focused on it for pascal, google didnt just turn out to be a loss of a big costumer, but the birth of a competitor, with much better chip, and much deeper pockets.

It was two years:

Moore also affirmed he never said transistor count would double every 18 months, as is commonly said. Initially, he said transistors on a chip would double every year. He then recalibrated it to every two years in 1975. David House, an Intel executive at the time, noted that the changes would cause computer performance to double every 18 months.

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/moores-law-to-roll-on-for-another-decade/

Also, it is slowing down: http://www.economist.com/technology-quarterly/2016-03-12/after-moores-law

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

25x is still on the scale of one order of magnitude... Remember, it's logarithmic. Two orders of magnitude would be 100x or more.

12 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

order of magnitude PERFORMANCE PER WATT. It's a very nuanced quote

If you runn a big data center this is the one and most inportant metric to you. You don't really care if you need 200 or 500 of them, especially as they are quite smal. But you are very worried it the center needs 1 MW or 10 MW to runn.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

15 hours ago, Energycore said:

15 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Actually an order of magnitude, with the physician sense of the term is actually correct for anything between x9 and something like x50. the order or magnitude just refers to an approximation of the gap you have. it doesn't have to be strictly x10.

16 hours ago, Energycore said:

But this is a sciencey conversation?

Anyway these things look pretty cool, until they get self aware and kill us all skynet style. If anyone is going to be responsible for the machine uprising it will be Google.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)