Google's Tensor Processing Unit could advance Moore's Law 7 years into the future

CtW
4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

But this is a sciencey conversation?

Anyway these things look pretty cool, until they get self aware and kill us all skynet style. If anyone is going to be responsible for the machine uprising it will be Google.

Perhaps. We don't have to use it strictly because we're not researchers though.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Coming to the consumer market in 2023.

When it's 7 years later and we'd get this anyways.

Ye ole' train

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Actually an order of magnitude, with the physician sense of the term is actually correct for anything between x9 and something like x50. the order or magnitude just refers to an approximation of the gap you have. it doesn't have to be strictly x10.

8 hours ago, LukeTim said:

25x is still on the scale of one order of magnitude... Remember, it's logarithmic. Two orders of magnitude would be 100x or more.

Yes, that's all correct but I'm thinking of it this way:  marketers typically want to push right to the limits when making their product sound good.  Since about 10x is the minimum improvement they'd need to get away with calling it an "order of magnitude", I would just be surprised if they'd lump a 25x gain into that same term.  I would think they'd say something like "an amazing 25x improvement" or something like that, if they could :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well it's close enough to the 11.3x factor of 7 years' worth of doubling every 2 years.  I just could have sworn the time span was 18 months, not 24.

It was revised in the 70's to be every 2 years.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, that's all correct but I'm thinking of it this way:  marketers typically want to push right to the limits when making their product sound good.  Since about 10x is the minimum improvement they'd need to get away with calling it an "order of magnitude", I would just be surprised if they'd lump a 25x gain into that same term.  I would think they'd say something like "an amazing 25x improvement" or something like that, if they could :)

Yeah but I think they actually don't care :) Because they know who they're talking to, and those people are going to invest millions of euros of hardware, they're not the kind which is going on the 1080 hype train :P They won't invest in a product just because it's well advertised.

That piece of hardware is interesting though

8 hours ago, laminutederire said:

That will be a huge loss for Nvidia though!

That depends on how quickly they can get these to market (for enterprise users) as well as if they can integrate them into existing machines. If these require you to purchase an entire new system and use new software, while nvidia products can just be put into normal systems, then this will have a hard time gaining market share.

13 minutes ago, CtW said:

That depends on how quickly they can get these to market (for enterprise users) as well as if they can integrate them into existing machines. If these require you to purchase an entire new system and use new software, while nvidia products can just be put into normal systems, then this will have a hard time gaining market share.

Yeah, but people in machine learning kinda hate Nvidia because of their proprietary shit, and teir lack of response to their demands. They won't necessarily mind purchasing those if they aren't two expensive and can be plugged in their computer as an extra hardware. Instead of having a sli setup, you could imagine having a graphics card for gaming or whatever and having one of these.

As for large setups, they have better performance per watt, and that's something data centers crave for since those can get quite expensive to run and tough to cool down...

(plus I don't like Nvidia so I wouldn't mind :) )

On 5/19/2016 at 2:33 PM, niofalpha said:

It was revised in the 70's to be every 2 years.

Ah that explains it.  I guess I'm just old... although I wasn't even born in the 70s :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

kinda good , but at the same time this has a lot of potential to be used for something bad if turned into a weapon, break strong encryption & blink of an eye facial recognition anywhere in the world in real time , pretty much tech like this would be used for things like that at the end

Details separate people.

“TPU is tailored to machine learning applications, allowing the chip to be more tolerant of reduced computational precision,..."

Wait a minute. This part is slightly confusing. It doesn't make sense to me that you would want to be less accurate with a processor.

Does it mean (in normal people words) that maybe instead of calculating things to 50 decimal places, it calculates to 30? I really don't know what I'm trying to say, but it is confusing that they would want to be tolerant of "reduced computational precision". 

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

TL:DR asic chips are good at doing what they are good at doing. Big freakin woop.

This has nothing to do with moores law, as their is no node shrink.

- snip-

I could see these running in multiple modules (cores) on the same pcb and replacing traditional cpus.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.