humongous data breaches at major mail services - Hotmail, G-Mail, Yahoo Mail and Mail.ru

zMeul

source: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-passwords-idUSKCN0XV1I6

The latest discovery came after Hold Security researchers found a young Russian hacker bragging in an online forum that he had collected and was ready to give away a far larger number of stolen credentials that ended up totalling 1.17 billion records.

After eliminating duplicates, Holden said, the cache contained nearly 57 million Mail.ru accounts - a big chunk of the 64 million monthly active email users Mail.ru said it had at the end of last year. It also included tens of millions of credentials for the world's three big email providers, Gmail, Microsoft and Yahoo, plus hundreds of thousands of accounts at German and Chinese email providers.

"This information is potent. It is floating around in the underground and this person has shown he's willing to give the data away to people who are nice to him," said Holden, the former chief security officer at U.S. brokerage R.W. Baird. "These credentials can be abused multiple times," he said.

After being informed of the potential breach of email credentials, Mail.ru said in a statement emailed to Reuters: "We are now checking, whether any combinations of usernames/passwords match users' e-mails and are still active.

"As soon as we have enough information we will warn the users who might have been affected," Mail.ru said in the email, adding that Mail.ru's initial checks found no live combinations of user names and passwords which match existing emails.

A Microsoft spokesman said stolen online credentials was an unfortunate reality. "Microsoft has security measures in place to detect account compromise and requires additional information to verify the account owner and help them regain sole access."

Yahoo and Google did not respond to requests for comment.

Yahoo Mail credentials numbered 40 million, or 15 percent of the 272 million unique IDs discovered. Meanwhile, 33 million, or 12 percent, were Microsoft Hotmail accounts and 9 percent, or nearly 24 million, were Gmail, according to Holden.

Thousands of other stolen username/password combinations appear to belong to employees of some of the largest U.S. banking, manufacturing and retail companies, he said.

you have mail account at one of these providers? change your password, use two factor authentication by either a authenticator app (google) or via SMS

once again, on-line service providers prove they don't give a flying fuck about their customers - what's even more sad is that it took a loud mouth to brag on the internet, otherwise no one would've known until too late

---

I know HotMail was renamed Outlook - I'll will continue to call it HotMail to distinguish it from the MS' mail client, Outlook

---

a few years back when two factor auth wasn't a thing, my HotMail account was compromised or MS detected suspicious activity and MS locked it down

I had to remember a lot of shit, including details from latest mail sent or received on that account to regain access to my account .. was a pain, but I did it

as soon as two factor (SMS) was a thing, I enabled it on all services that supported; later on I bought my 1st smartphone just for this task alone, and I still use that same phone

Edited by zMeul

The title for this though..... Almost all lowercase and Hotmail is dead, its Outlook now.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Welp, good thing I use 2-factor authentication. I might change my password again just to be sure. Also, Hotmail is dead, it's  outlook.

Brah, do you even Java?

I use 2 factor authentication as well with my phone but just to be extra safe , I bumped up the tightness of the password.

(⌐■_■) 

Good thing I already use 2-factor authentication and a really strong passphrase.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Well at least he hasn't tried to blame the breach on AMD :P

Both my MS & Google accounts are 2 factor protected so if anyone tries to sign in I get notified by Email and through the Authentication App on my tablet so if that happens I'll change my passwords again.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

29 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you have mail account at one of these providers? change your password, use two factor authentication by either a authenticator app (google) or via SMS

once again, on-line service providers prove they don't give a flying fuck about their customers - what's even more sad is that it took a loud mouth to brag on the internet, otherwise no one would've known until too late

Sorry, but companies don't have alert sirens when it detect someone hacking their server.

They only know after doing investigative work in looking at connections, and strange behaviors.

Also, anyone can say  "I have all xyz logins", doesn't means that they do. Any kid desperate to showoff and like to sound "cool" can say that.

I like to see proof of his claims.

I dont quite understand. Do they have access to all of those emails or they got only those with weak passwords?

How'd he get the data? Specifically for Google and Microsoft accounts? Because there's a big difference between them hacking into Google and/or Microsoft and stealing passwords - I imagine that'd be quite difficult indeed (though certainly not impossible). I'm more inclined to believe - if this is even real - that these are passwords stolen directly from users, via weak passwords, or compromised client PC's via malware.

My Microsoft Account password is pretty well impossible to guess, for example. Social engineering would be useless unless you convinced me to straight up tell you my password. (and no, it's not "password")

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

How'd he get the data? Specifically for Google and Microsoft accounts? Because there's a big difference between them hacking into Google and/or Microsoft and stealing passwords - I imagine that'd be quite difficult indeed (though certainly not impossible). I'm more inclined to believe - if this is even real - that these are passwords stolen directly from users, via weak passwords, or compromised client PC's via malware.

My Microsoft Account password is pretty well impossible to guess, for example. Social engineering would be useless unless you convinced me to straight up tell you my password. (and no, it's not "password")

and no, it's not "password"

is it "Password"?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

meh, I have 2 factor authentication and I'm pretty sure google would notice me if some dude in Russia tried to access my account.

As for my other accounts, none reuse the same password, it's all randomly generated stuff made with keepass.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The title, my eyes are burning.

Please use capitals and punctuation in the appropriate places.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Someone tried to login in my email some weeks ago, I have no idea where or how they got that info, but this would explain it.

Luckily I had switched to 2 step authentication in all my accounts a few days before it happens, so they couldn't actually get in my email.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I'm not even going to change my password. 

#thuglyfe

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

convinced me to straight up tell you my password. (and no, it's not "password")

i could tell you my password, but useless without my phone ;).

#2step

ALL services need to have 2step as an option.

Any ideas on how?

I would guess they would have hashed and salted the passwords, so it would take a very long time to crack them?

20 letters password+every website has unique password+2Step verification. Yet to see my email in one of those lists.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

Good thing I use two factor authentication on all my emails ??

I'm just surprised you didn't manage to find a way to pin this on AMD dude, but carry on.

Also yeah data leaks suck lets hope is so massive chances of your data being compromised are slim, kind of like a needle in a haystack situation.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 hours ago, GoZone said:

The title for this though..... Almost all lowercase and Hotmail is dead, its Outlook now.

And it's still dead for everyone except retarded businesses.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

While I'm not denying a possibility of huge data breach but it seems unlikely that all big services got hit without any1 noticing anything. Most likely scenario would be that he may have breached mail.ru and complied google/yahoo/hotmail from other sources.

I mean I could go and buy email + password combinations for few bucks, compile those into 1 file and brag how big of a hacker I am while in reality I simply bought them from the dude who's hacking some unprotected community databases and extracting emails + passwords from them. Since many are lazy and using same password everywhere ofc some1 checking will find matches. 

I use outlook, but have had 2 step setup for over a year now. Glad I did.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, but companies don't have alert sirens when it detect someone hacking their server.

They only know after doing investigative work in looking at connections, and strange behaviors.

Also, anyone can say  "I have all xyz logins", doesn't means that they do. Any kid desperate to showoff and like to sound "cool" can say that.

I like to see proof of his claims.

Holy fucking shit. this is a wakeup call. DO we know which accounts were compromised?

I need to add 2 factor to all of my email accounts (I have 2 for personal that I use and then 1 apple one I don't use and 1 school one)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

its AMD fault, theres no security on the web to begin with barely any, unless we reinvent the web if theres anything we can do to begin with