humongous data breaches at major mail services - Hotmail, G-Mail, Yahoo Mail and Mail.ru

zMeul
1 hour ago, deviant88 said:

its AMD fault, theres no security on the web to begin with barely any, unless we reinvent the web if theres anything we can do to begin with

Nah, It's AMD's fault cause the haxxor was using a laptop powered by an AMD APU

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

How come GMail and Yahoo hasn't sent us an email telling us to change our passwords? I've heard nothing from them.

I will never being be using 2-step authentication as it is stupid thatou have to always use your phone to login in to a  account

1 hour ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

How come GMail and Yahoo hasn't sent us an email telling us to change our passwords? I've heard nothing from them.

It really depends on how the data was compromised.

Were Google servers breached? Were password files stolen and decrypted?

Or were these farmed and harvested from malware infected computers that logged into one of the above sites?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

It really depends on how the data was compromised.

Were Google servers breached? Were password files stolen and decrypted?

Or were these farmed and harvested from malware infected computers that logged into one of the above sites?

Or simply lying.

I went ahead and changed mine. I guess it was time for a pw change, anyway.  So long ABCD123, you were a good pw. xD

47 minutes ago, Crosseyed Sniper said:

I went ahead and changed mine. I guess it was time for a pw change, anyway.  So long ABCD123, you were a good pw. xD

That.... Was not a good password lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yay for iCloud Mail :P I doubt the reliability of this, and everything is 2-factor these days anyway.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Do NOT believe everything you read on the internet. :P

On ‎04‎.‎05‎.‎2016‎. at 9:43 PM, GoodBytes said:

Sorry, but companies don't have alert sirens when it detect someone hacking their server.

They only know after doing investigative work in looking at connections, and strange behaviors.

Also, anyone can say  "I have all xyz logins", doesn't means that they do. Any kid desperate to showoff and like to sound "cool" can say that.

I like to see proof of his claims.

only part of those logins was unique, other part was fake, and the smaller part was either public knowledge or already released earlier even smaller part was legit not known before logins

oh... did I mention the guy was selling those 1.7bil logins for 50 Russian Rubles and likes on social media?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gmail-hotmail-yahoo-email-hacked,31743.html

yellow press at work again, nothing major

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I read this on Reuters this morning. I'm concerned but until I can verify that my accounts are not in the list I may not be taking action; changing passwords are always a hassle to me, and coming up with good ones within the arbitrary restrictions some sites put up is extremely taxing for me.

Edit: seems like Microsoft changed their password policy, and now I can use passwords longer than 16 characters. Perfect, going to go review my passwords now.

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

"ABCD123" is bound to be well within the first 100 passwords you'd try in a dictionary attack.

1 hour ago, eXAKR said:

I read this on Reuters this morning. I'm concerned but until I can verify that my accounts are not in the list I may not be taking action; changing passwords are always a hassle to me, and coming up with good ones within the arbitrary restrictions some sites put up is extremely taxing for me.

Edit: seems like Microsoft changed their password policy, and now I can use passwords longer than 16 characters. Perfect, going to go review my passwords now.

just use lastpass/keepass and let it generate a password for you.

people should change the password on a regular basis anyway.

On 5/5/2016 at 0:16 AM, Crosseyed Sniper said:

Yahoo said it's bullshit. Google still investigating, so probably bullshit. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yup, here is ars talking about it.

Looks like it is complete crap, as expected. Usually when these kind of attacks happen, they show proof. But here none, and the affected company can't find anything, all of which (well I don't know about Mail.ru), have centers filled with experts in security to detect any claimed attacked, and in teh case of Microsoft and Google, monitor online attacks (for their OS protection and services).

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/the-massive-password-breach-that-wasnt-google-says-data-is-98-bogus/

If they can't find anything, it isn't some kind of "special" "new"attack that is undetectable.. it isn't a movie.

But regardless, it is always good to change your password every now and then, and have 2 step authentication.

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup, here is ars talking about it.

Looks like it is complete crap, as expected. Usually when these kind of attacks happen, they show proof. But here none, and the affected company can't find anything, all of which (well I don't know about Mail.ru), have centers filled with experts in security to detect any claimed attacked, and in teh case of Microsoft and Google, monitor online attacks (for their OS protection and services).

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/05/the-massive-password-breach-that-wasnt-google-says-data-is-98-bogus/

If they can't find anything, it isn't some kind of "special" "new"attack that is undetectable.. it isn't a movie.

But regardless, it is always good to change your password every now and then, and have 2 step authentication.

I know right? It's like in that tomshardware article from yesterday or something

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K