US Senate drafts most disastrous anti-crypto bill ever

PCgamer324

In wake of the recent developments in Apple vs FBI and the WhatsApp updates, Senators Burr and Feinstein have proposed potentially the most extreme anti-crypto bill in history

cryptography crypto security PKI encryption.jpg

Source: http://www.wired.com/2016/04/senates-draft-encryption-bill-privacy-nightmare/

On Thursday evening, the draft text of a bill called the “Compliance with Court Orders Act of 2016,” authored by offices of Senators Diane Feinstein and Richard Burr,  was published online by the Hill.1 It’s a nine-page piece of legislation that would require people to comply with any authorized court order for data—and if that data is “unintelligible,” the legislation would demand that it be rendered “intelligible.” In other words, the bill would make illegal the sort of user-controlled encryption that’s in every modern iPhone, in all billion devices that run Whatsapp’s messaging service, and in dozens of other tech products. “This basically outlaws end-to-end encryption,” says Joseph Lorenzo Hall, chief technologist at the Center for Democracy and Technology. “It’s effectively the most anti-crypto bill of all anti-crypto bills.”

Outlawing end-to-end encryption could prove disastrous in ensuring user data security

Even more extreme, the draft bill also includes the requirement that “license distributors” ensure all “products, services, applications or software” they distribute provide that same easy access for law enforcement. “Apple’s app store, Google’s play store, any platform for software applications somehow has to vet every app to ensure they have backdoored or little enough security to comply,” says Bankston. That means, he says, that this would “seem to also be a massive internet censorship bill.”

Government software regulation... great idea

The White House has already declined to publicly support the bill. And Adam Schiff, the top Democratic congressman on the House of Representatives’ intelligence committee, gave WIRED a similarly ambivalent comment on the upcoming legislation yesterday. “I don’t think Congress is anywhere near a consensus on the issue,” Schiff said, “given how difficult it was to legislate the relatively easy [Cyber Information Sharing Act], and this is comparatively far more difficult and consequential.”

While this bill will most likely not be put into law in it's current form, such extreme measures set a dangerous trend for future legislation from Capitol Hill.

The original draft can be found here: https://josephhall.org/f0eabaa89b8ee38577bf7d0fd50ddf0d58ecd27a/307378123-Burr-Encryption-Bill-Discussion-Draft.pdf

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

*facepalm* Welp, If things do really start to get worse, I may be selling all my property in the US and permanently living here in Japan.

Desktop: ASUS X99-E WS/USB 3.1 (SSI-CEB) | Intel i7-5960X (OC@5.0GHz) | Dual EVGA GTX Titan X Hybrid (2x12GB) | G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 (8x16GB@3.4GHz) | Samsung 950 Pro (512GB); WD Black (6x6TB; NAS) | SuperFlower 1600F14HT (1600W; 80+ Titanium)

LD PC-V10 (Black; Reversed; Tempered Glass Mod) | Triple Dell S2716DG (3x1440p@144Hz); Crossover 554K (2160p@60Hz) | LD Phase Change; Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 (x6) | DasKeyboard 4 Ultimate (MX Green Mod; Thick PBT Mod) | Logitech G900; SentrantPC Desk Mat

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x (470Ω); Schiit Gungnir DAC; Schiit Mjolnir 2 AMP (6BZ7 Tubes Only); Audio-Technica AT4040; Behringer XENYX X1204USB Analog Mixer; Yamaha RX-A750 Receiver; Dual Yamaha NS-6490; Dual Yamaha NS-SW300 | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad P70 | Intel Xeon E3-1505Mv5 | Nvidia Quadro M5000M (8GB) | DDR4 ECC (4x16GB@2133MHz) | Samsung 950 Pro (512GB); Samsung 850 Pro (2TB) | 17.3" IPS Non-Touch (2160@60Hz) | Sierrra Wireless EM7455 | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Seriously confused at this point, Government is actually doing it's job for the most parts, People on the other hand who generally tend to use this as a 'i do what i want even if it hurts others' kinda scenario , sometimes & most of the times , people aren't that good to be deserving that level of privilege as they will abuse it to the fullest,  in a nutshell there are more victims within the free people confines & this doesn't mean government is a 100% pure at this point they do getaway with political ties interests like others

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, PawaYuza said:

*facepalm* Welp, If things do really start to get worse, I may be selling all my property in the US and permanently living here in Japan.

Japan, Singapore, South Korea all seem to know what's up in terms of their citizens, and managing their economies, freedoms, etc.  Low taxes somewhat.

So basically they want to make our phones less safe?

Uh-huh, sounds great. I really want my phone less safe so that hackers can hack into it easy and he government can look at it whenever they want. So awesome! Much want.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

So basically they want to make our phones less safe?

Uh-huh, sounds great. I really want my phone less safe so that hackers can hack into it easy and he government can look at it whenever they want. So awesome! Much want.

They pretty much just don't care at all about the individual freedom and privacy of Americans or any people on the planet.  It's the end goal.  Little by little they erode at the freedoms of their citizens until we can't fight back against it.  One day it could so bad we could end up like China, censored internet, news sites, etc.  Though all the tech companies would have left our country by then and moved fully to Ireland.  Damn Irish and your 6.5% tax rates.  

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Excuse me, I have to go stick my head in a bucket and scream obscenities.

I have successfully summoned Trik'Stari

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

8 minutes ago, PCgamer324 said:

I have successfully summoned Trik'Stari

Indeed you have. Now I must drink, for I am pissed.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Here, read this: http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6046

In short, read this:

The absurdity of this bill is beyond words. Due to the technical ineptitude of its authors, combined with a hunger for unconstitutional governmental powers, the end result is a very dangerous document that will weaken the security of America’s technology infrastructure.

tl,dr: how to roast technical inept dumbfucks who have no idea whatsoever about the ginormous security risks this will post to basically everybody in the world.

Ye ole' train

This will go nowhere fast. Anyone legislature with half a grain of sense or with corporate donors will avoid supporting this because it would effectively force us companies to take their office practices back to pre information age. In an age where companies are trying harder and harder to ensure that their data and the data of their customers is safe (or at least accessible to only them and those they choose to sell it to) no one is going to want to tell their customers that they can't offer real privacy or increased protection from cyber data theft because they need to comply with this law. 

While this is certainly DOA it is a great time  for anyone in the us to write to your representatives and impress upon them how important it is to you that these issues are taken seriously and that it's the kind of policy you will keep in mind come election time.

http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page is a good way too find your local rep's and there should be links too their email/contact pages. A few lines of text explaining your position as well as the flaws and risks with this type of legislation is all you need to submit, and you can copy the body of the message to give to other people you know asking them to do the same. I know that my representative will often quote letters/emails from his constituents so I know that at least someone working with him is actually going through them.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

14 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Here, read this: http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=6046

In short, read this:

The absurdity of this bill is beyond words. Due to the technical ineptitude of its authors, combined with a hunger for unconstitutional governmental powers, the end result is a very dangerous document that will weaken the security of America’s technology infrastructure.

tl,dr: how to roast technical inept dumbfucks who have no idea whatsoever about the ginormous security risks this will post to basically everybody in the world.

headdesk_zps136e8e96.gif~c200

If we, as a nation, had any intelligence, we would recall Feinstein and Burr over this. And kick them both out of congress.

2 minutes ago, GzeroD said:

This will go nowhere fast. Anyone legislature with half a grain of sense or with corporate donors will avoid supporting this because it would effectively force us companies to take their office practices back to pre information age. In an age where companies are trying harder and harder to ensure that their data and the data of their customers is safe (or at least accessible to only them and those they choose to sell it to) no one is going to want to tell their customers that they can't offer real privacy or increased protection from cyber data theft because they need to comply with this law. 

While this is certainly DOA it is a great time  for anyone in the us to write to your representatives and impress upon them how important it is to you that these issues are taken seriously and that it's the kind of policy you will keep in mind come election time.

http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page is a good way too find your local rep's and there should be links too their email/contact pages. A few lines of text explaining your position as well as the flaws and risks with this type of legislation is all you need to submit, and you can copy the body of the message to give to other people you know asking them to do the same. I know that my representative will often quote letters/emails from his constituents so I know that at least someone working with him is actually going through them.

Doesn't really work when you're a non-US person. Whatever happens in the US in these cases will affect the rest of the world yet the rest of the world can't contact these government people telling them how they're about to make 1984 come true only a bazillion times worse.

Ye ole' train

52 minutes ago, PawaYuza said:

>is getting increasingly mad at increasingly authoritarian government.

>wants to move to Japan

This bill is beyond stupid. If I were a big tech company like google and this got passed in any form similar to what it is now, I'd stop all business and function in the U.S. for as long as it takes for them to remove it. It wouldn't be a *significant* cost for only a day, but it would slap the government for being so f*cking stupid.

Yes I realize this isn't a 10/10 plan but I'd laugh hysterically all day.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Seeing as huge corporations are against it, mainly Apple due to recent controversies regarding what can only be described as extreme government overstep of legal powers. I very much doubt any of this will go through.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

23 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

>is getting increasingly mad at increasingly authoritarian government.

>wants to move to Japan

This bill is beyond stupid. If I were a big tech company like google and this got passed in any form similar to what it is now, I'd stop all business and function in the U.S. for as long as it takes for them to remove it. It wouldn't be a *significant* cost for only a day, but it would slap the government for being so f*cking stupid.

Yes I realize this isn't a 10/10 plan but I'd laugh hysterically all day.

I think the businesses should all collectively say

No-No-No-Cat-Meme-09.jpg

And just ignore the bill. Good luck taking Apple, Microsoft, Google, all of the ISP's, and god knows how many other companies, to court, all at once.

They would collectively bury the DoJ in several semi-trucks FULL of paperwork.

1 hour ago, PawaYuza said:

Considering the US is one of the greatest markets in the world and a lot of tech developments happen there, most major brands would be forced to follow US law. As creating different kinds of devices for different regions can get prohibitively expensive for a company watching its bottom line those laws are probably going to have a global effect. So even in Japan you won't be safe.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Excuse me, I have to go stick my head in a bucket and scream obscenities.

I have the perfect fucking scene to go with this.

fuck, it's not the full scene

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

here's the shipment paper you asked forfragtskib1.jpg

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I have the perfect fucking scene to go with this.

fuck, it's not the full scene

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

great, no encryption. This makes it much easier to steal and publicize all those emails these folks send around.

What comes around, goes around

no no no thats not how it works we give up all privacy and they get to keep it in name of national security

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD