What is the most disappointing thing you have ever heard from young PC builders?

Lolucoca
2 hours ago, 1shanghai said:

But it has been scientifically proven that painting somethong red makes it 30% faster!?

That has actually been codified (ok codex'ified) for a certain Warhammer 40K race's vehicles, so it must be true.

My pet peeve is that people, young and old can't seem to grasp the difference between memory and storage.

Memory is the RAM, storage is the HDD  or the SSD .

Home PCs do not have 1000 GB of memory. They often have a terabyte of hard drive space though.

2 hours ago, waxbytes said:

My pet peeve is that people, young and old can't seem to grasp the difference between memory and storage.

Memory is the RAM, storage is the HDD  or the SSD .

Home PCs do not have 1000 GB of memory. They often have a terabyte of hard drive space though.

Please refer to my experience with the woman selling a PS3 with 500GB of RAM. People like that are just headache inducing.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

What's young?

I cry a little inside when I'm having a conversation, somehow 3dfx or VooDoo come up, and nobody has heard of them.

Makes me feel old, I won'e lie, and I'm not even that old.

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS Z-97K | GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866 CL10 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower | KB/M: Logitech Orion Spark G910/Razer Naga Epic

"i3s can't play Steam games."

and

"GTX 970 straight out performs the R9 390 because more RAM. How do I know? My dad works for nVidia."

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

4 hours ago, Hydraxiler32 said:

"i3s can't play Steam games."

and

"GTX 970 straight out performs the R9 390 because more RAM. How do I know? My dad works for nVidia."

That DEFINITELY gave me a headache, especially since the 390 has more RAM. But, I believe those words have been spoken.

My cpu is a Dell.

My monitor says Windows Vista

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Why are quadros expensive you could get a gtx x80 to for less 

Or quadro being put in gaming rigs same with xeons....

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

On 30-3-2016 at 7:23 AM, MagnesiumPC said:

Linux is for hipsters. (I screamed inside).

Old people can't learn computers. 

Windows is the best operating system... (WHICH WINDOWS! I can think of 12 Windows Versions right now!)

Linux is assholes who want to be different.

kind of necro-replying here but i fee like you're gonna like what i'm about to say:

- my grandpa is doing better at learning how to use computers than my dad that still prefers pen&paper at work...

- my grandpa's laptop (seeing a pattern here?) was still running windows XP, and stuff was starting to go downhill so i gave it an overhaul, and for a whopping €1 i swapped out the bios battery and upgraded to a brand new operating system simple enough to fit his age, modern enough to support IPv6 (can we please scream at the US army for this?) low resource enough to have his 10 year old laptop perform as if new, and most of all: he can install updates by himself because i have the option of simplifying things where needed, and i can remote in when he's completely lost.

this operating system is... arch linux.

EDIT: forgot to add, my grandpa is past 80, and senility is hitting hard.

From my friend who thinks hes a genius at PC's but doesnt know shit hardware wise:

"The RAM is like the Nucleus, it controls everything" And the whole class believed him because they think he knows more than me. I cried when he said that. He doesn't understand anything about PC's except like at all except how to do random stuff you don't need. He doesn't even know how a CPU works *Cries in corner* He also thinks getting a mechanical keyboard is just for gaming and that getting a 6600K and 1080 is a waste of my money. This is the guy that introduced me to computers and still thinks I'm going to start a PC buisness with him. Nope, Intel for moi xD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

"All GPUs are the same, just some look better and make you pay more for it"

-Best Buy, 2016

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I think what linus was arguing was getting faster RAM isn't necessarily the best use of your money ie if you are choosing faster RAM over an SSD. Yes, I KNOW faster RAM makes a difference in CPU bound games by increasing minimum framerates, but it won't automatically make your games framerates go through the roof across the board in every game. faster RAM CAN make a difference in games, but it has to be the CORRECT game, faster RAM won't make a difference in every game.

That's not what he was arguing at all. He was arguing that it makes no difference whatsoever.

14 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's not what he was arguing at all. He was arguing that it makes no difference whatsoever.

Actually he didn't say that. He said it would make a difference, but it is so small that, in most cases, it wouldn't be noticeable, and that your money would be better spent on other things, first.

I'm very annoyed at the people (young and not so young) who immediately start talking overclocking no matter what the CPU being discussed, or the context/use of the computer. 

For 99% of the population, overclocking is not only not required for any legitimate purpose, but introduces an unnecessary source of potential instability. 

If you want to do it on your personal rig, fine, do that.  Or tell a fellow enthusiast how they can do it on their hardware.  But don't overclock the machines of others who are not enthusiasts.  Seriously, just don't.  I've fixed a few machines owned by "non-enthusiasts" over the years which were overclocked.  Even if the overclocking isn't the problem, its a potential source of instability that anyone doing repairs must un-do before they can rule it out as a problem.   

*New techie in our office* Hey guys can someone help me put this ram holder back on. I look over and see he has broken off the ram slot trying to pull down a fixed end. He still works here.... on innocent peoples computers.

My brother once wanted to buy a raspberry pie to program it but when he tried to explain it to my mom my mom said "So it is a tiny computer with a small screen and monitor?". I almost started to cry.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

This isn't anything a young person has said, but my friend has an i7-4770k and a GTX 960 2GB and plays mostly Rust and Minecraft. The most intensive game he owns is Battlefield 4.

I used to be quite active here.

I recently built my first rig, so a friend of mine wanted to build his own. Him and his dad called me to ask me for my opinion on parts 2-3 times. few week later, I asked him if he got his PC built yet. He hired someone else to build it and do exactly opposite of what I said for a larger sum of money than it should have been. -_-

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

On 3/29/2016 at 2:58 PM, Midnitewarrior4 said:

"this thing is going to have 16gb of ram so i will be able to play any game at ultra"  the ultimate stereo type that ive actually heard from a bunch of kids thinking they knew about computers....

The sad thing is that they most likely will not include a graphics card for budget reasons.

On 3/29/2016 at 3:01 PM, Senzelian said:

u stupid?
8350 has 4ghz boost clock. 
4ghz x 8cores = 48jigahetz

u know nothing omg....

4 X 8 = 32

You're stupid.

On 3/29/2016 at 3:17 PM, Doodlegame said:

Wins $100k. goes to Amazon. Sort by highest price. Ends up with a server motherboard xD

Server motherboard

22 core 44 thread xeon with wrong socket for motherboard

1TB of ram (DDR4) with the server board only compatible with DDR3

8 Quadro M6000s ($5,000 USD each)

2000W Super flower power supply

12 PCI-e 4TB SSDs with no space for them.

and some random case

"GAMING RIG WOOOOOOO"