What is the most disappointing thing you have ever heard from young PC builders?

Lolucoca
On 3/29/2016 at 10:06 PM, Lolucoca said:

"Wait, they didn't have multi-core-CPU's back in the 90's?"

Technically speaking,  the first multicore chip dates back to the 80's,  and SMP configs existed back then too... 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

What about : the pentium 4 was a great processor! 

it was when it came out.  I had a 4ghz p4 630(i think it was a 630), it had hyperthreading, was a space heater, and completely wrecked WoW compared to my old 1.2ghz thunderbird.

One of the most disappointing things I hear today is that AMD is complete trash and literally doesn't work at all.  Literally.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Yoinkerman said:

it was when it came out.  I had a 4ghz p4 630(i think it was a 630), it had hyperthreading, was a space heater, and completely wrecked WoW compared to my old 1.2ghz thunderbird.

One of the most disappointing things I hear today is that AMD is complete trash and literally doesn't work at all.  Literally.

Netburst wasn't a very "elegant"  solution,  to say the least. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Netburst wasn't a very "elegant"  solution,  to say the least. 

No not at all, but what it lacked in elegance it made up for in heart.  The early ones anyway.  Once they moved to the 2/4 core p4 chips they were terrible.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Back in 2005 in the first repair shop I worked. We were building about 10-20 pc`s a day. I asked the boss why dont we start putting 1 gb of ram instead of 512 mb.

Answer:

"There is no point. Nobody will need 1 gb of ram in the next 5-6 years"

14 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

No not at all, but what it lacked in elegance it made up for in heart.  The early ones anyway.  Once they moved to the 2/4 core p4 chips they were terrible.

There is a reason netbrust is so infamous... 

some kid in my school said he could run Arma 3 in ultra at 200 fps with an amd fx cpu (i think) and a single 770.  

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

What about : the pentium 4 was a great processor! 

I have a special spot in my heart for the old P4 prescott, it was the first CPU that I got into seriously overclocking. And my 2nd ever PC (My first was a P3 800mhz).

Myself and my neighbours kid (who was a couple of years older than me at the time, him being ~15 me being ~12, and was the one who originally taught me how to overclock) had a bit of a competition as too who could get the most Ghz out of our CPUs. This being back in the days where there was a very real risk of burning your motherboard OCing xD. God I remember my old CM Hyper 6 which I bought because the aluminium cowling looked awesome.

Anywho I never won. He was running ghetto water (Oh god whatever happened to ghetto water systems!?!?) and a proper case (Mine was an "Viglen" ex-office computer). Also had a better CPU than me mine being a 2.4GHz model (I had it @ 3.4GHz, I remember it turning my bedroom into an oven) he had a 3Ghz. He was breaking 4GHz with his which was bonkers at the time. Man computer tuning really has lost its "magic" nowadays. Ive gone on to tuning bigger toys that make a better noise! :D

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

4 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

Yeah, without it being part of a server farm, and with the proper OS, there really is no way to get computers to share resources. At least, none that I have ever seen.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable that someone could do it at home? Not so much. (Not the average consumer, anyway.)

Depends on what you consider sharing resources. If we are talking just general computing, then no it doesn't work that way unless you want to make Pi cluster. Otherwise, distributed computing such Folding@Home could be considered sharing resources although it's for a very specific task. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

he was like i spent 4000 usd on a laptop i and i asked y he got for dat much m,oney he was like 32 gbs of ram br 32 gbs of ram and he was like i can run everything at 4k at ultra setting and run a server at the same time from dat laptop

On 3/29/2016 at 4:03 PM, Lord-Anubis said:

"I'm waiting for Zen, it'll be an intel killer."

While I am waiting for Zen to see what AMD brings to the table, I doubt it'll be an Intel killer.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

"controllers are much more accurate then mice anyway" 

i mean, in the end it all boils down to personal preference, but really? mice are much, much more accurate!

I actually talked about gaming on a mouse/keyboard to someone at work, and all they had in response was pretty much stating that using mouse/keyboard makes you look like a "retard." So basically, no argument.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

10 hours ago, CodenameScorpion said:

AMD technically was the ruler of the processor game before more-than-one-core processors became a thing.

Even after - Until the Core 2 Duo released, AMD were light years ahead of the Pentiums

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

"I smell burning from my PSU, is that bad?"

call on skype - that PSU survived for 2 more years before being upgraded. DID NOT KILL ANYTHING :D

"Is a pre-built with 2 cores and 4GB of RAM going to be good for gaming?"

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

My mum thought this would work and got angry with me when I said it wouldn't "YES IT WILL, JUST LET ME TRY IT!" 

Video: 

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

3 hours ago, Canio22 said:

My mum thought this would work and got angry with me when I said it wouldn't "YES IT WILL, JUST LET ME TRY IT!" 

Video: 

I personally hate that guy. He's a fucking troll, and people keep feeding him. Every single video I've ever seen of his was some stupid shit that makes no sense, let alone wouldn't actually work. 

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

1 hour ago, JoePro87 said:

I personally hate that guy. He's a fucking troll, and people keep feeding him. Every single video I've ever seen of his was some stupid shit that makes no sense, let alone wouldn't actually work. 

That's his joke channel. He has a legit channel - that particular one in this thread is from his joke channel which is specifically stated and listed as Comedy. 

2 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

you just listed all the reasons why i love that channel. he does stuff that just don't make any sense, and people still believe him! personally i think that is pretty hilarious :P

1 minute ago, RollinLower said:

you just listed all the reasons why i love that channel. he does stuff that just don't make any sense, and people still believe him! personally i think that is pretty hilarious :P

Yeah, until my friends watch it, and message me asking why it didn't work, or believe it is real, then argue with me about it when I say that guy is full of shit.

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

"you need a core i7 with a titan x to get a enjoyable gaming experience"

On 3/30/2016 at 6:16 AM, fireclaw316 said:

Well, NVIDIA is clearly better than AMD because green means go while red means stop.

Idiot.

But it has been scientifically proven that painting somethong red makes it 30% faster!?

"Ram is the most important part to take into consideration when building a gaming computer."

"Macs are good for gaming too you know..."

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I was talking about my computer to my cousin and he asked get this ''is your computer going to have A ram.'' part of me died when i heard this.