Apple developing new batteries to improve energy capacity in devices

SansVarnic

Apple developing new batteries to improve energy capacity in devices.

Apple can't yet boast of significantly longer battery life in devices, but the company is looking to change that.

By: Agam Shah IDG News Service via PCWorld

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3048725/hardware/apple-developing-new-batteries-to-improve-energy-capacity-in-devices.html

Battery

Apple can't yet boast of significantly longer battery life in devices, but the company is looking to change that.

The company is researching new types of batteries that could potentially help Macs, mobile devices, and wearable devices run much longer without a recharge.

Current lithium-ion battery technology has reached its limits in terms of energy capacity, and is also considered unsafe due to fire risk. 

Some new batteries like silver-zinc, which came out about eight years ago, failed because they were expensive. Lithium-ion batteries are relatively inexpensive to produce, but Apple could use scale of manufacturing to bring down the cost of making new types of batteries.

Apple has already been granted a patent on a solid-state battery, which is considered the next big technology in battery research. A startup called Prieto Battery is separately developing a solid-state battery that could be in devices running on Intel chips by 2017. Solid state batteries have a different structure and could potentially hold five times more energy capacity than lithium-ion batteries. 

A new battery technology could also play a role in Apple's plans to develop a car. Apple did not return request for comment on new battery technologies it may be working on, or when new technology would reach devices. 

OK so Apple is finally on the band wagon to improve battery life, Yay :) not that consumers have been going off about the fact they cant make a phone with a battery will last more than 6 six hours on charge . . . j/k.

Well I for on am happy this is a turn that Apple is ready to take and hopefully other manufacturers will join in on. The challenge will be difficult and maybe this will lead to a better approach like [forgive for saying so] what we see in scifi novels portable fusion/fission banks instead of batteries. I know I am way off the bat here but one can hope, cant I?

I know that Tesla is already in the middle of on-going solid state battery research themselves so this could mean that maybe the incentive to start the battery improvement movement.... (cheesy I know).

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Fucking finally apple. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

image.png

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

To be fair both my Samsung Galaxy and Motorola Droid batteries outright died less than 18 months after I bought the phones with limited use and no mistreatment, and the battery life is just as shit. (Neither of them have removable batteries either). 

Its its just modern consumer electronics in general that have shitty battery life - particularly those with backlit colour screens - my PS Vita is another example.

I actually found all my iPhones to have excellent battery life. Especially my 6. I've moved over to an LG G4 to play with Android for a while, and I have to say the battery life was worse than the iPhone, and now with Android M it's almost as good, despite a much much larger battery. I don't get why people dislike iPhone battery life, especially since most haven't used it.

That being said, I'm all for longer life across all mobile devices, although I read recently that battery technology is slow, since you can't just come up with clever ways to jam more in, you have to find entirely new combinations of elements to put together.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

6 minutes ago, PooPipeBoy said:

Praise the Lord, I swear I could put a copper penny and a zinc nail in my mouth, hook up a lightbulb and still generate electricity longer than a fully-charged iPhone battery.

You hit the nail on the head there... ahem no pun intended.

On the topic at hand here: FINALLY. IT'S ABOUT TIME BATTERY LIFE IMPROVES.

Getting sick of manufacturers claiming people are OK with only getting a full day or couple days out of them phones. Some might be, but if my phone is to be a companion device, similar to how I used to wear a watch all the time, I expect it to last at least a few days, if not up to a week. And yes, I am completely OK with going back to 1 inch think phones if that's what it takes - I wear jeans/have coat pockets, after all.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Plot twist, Apple uses the better capacity to make their devices thinner.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Plot twist, Apple uses the better capacity to make their devices thinner.

That happens to be the exact size and shape of a 3.5mm jack?

I for one am glad that Windows Phones offers dark themes, better battery life for sure that way, at least it helps anyhow.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, CapricaBuccaneers said:

That happens to be the exact size and shape of a 3.5mm jack?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

FOR FUCK SAKE

JUST MAKE THE DAMN THING 1MM THICKER AND NOBODY WILL HAVE BATTERY LIFE ISSUES

/rant

FOR FUCKS SAKE

MAKE MY IPHONE 1" THICK I DONT CARE

EXTRA PROTECTION AND BATTERY LIFE

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

While more power is always nice I can still get through a day easy on my 5 with all radios on and using the phone constantly. This is a battery that is 3yrs old too. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I for one am glad that Windows Phones offers dark themes, better battery life for sure that way, at least it helps anyhow.

Well not on models with LCD displays. Such as mine ..............

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

FOR FUCK SAKE

JUST MAKE THE DAMN THING 1MM THICKER AND NOBODY WILL HAVE BATTERY LIFE ISSUES

/rant

To be fair, the iPhone SE is still as "thick" as the 5S, and even though you can fit an entire SE into a 6S+'s screen it still outperforms it in terms of battery life. Even though it has exactly the same internals, save for the 3D Touch, a barometer and a higher-res screen.

First and foremost: this will go into the next Watch. Apple isn't happy at all with current battery life in a watch.

Ye ole' train

If we can actually see some beneficial improvement with these new type of batteries, great. Though I'm sure it will take time before it comes to market, specially spread.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Wait for the price tag they'll charge people for an 'upgraded' battery capacity.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

28 minutes ago, Lethal Seraph said:

Wait for the price tag they'll charge people for an 'upgraded' battery capacity.

I doubt they would bring out a "special battery model", they will just apply the tech to all devices, watch, iPhone, Macbook etc , if apple can get it mass produced then it will benefit the entire industry

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

just make the back cover easily removable like it was with the i4, i'll proceed on getting a zerolemon afterwards 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, MonkeyFace said:

Apple will invent human batteries. Innovation for world domination. 

Tim Cooko will control us as human batteries and we need someone who can save our asses.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Finally the industry will focus on battery ! 

And apple has to do it first so other will do something about it too, otherwise they would sit on their asses for years focusing on other hardware.

But thank God it is happening. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I can't wait for the SE reviews to come out to see everyone's reaction to how good the battery life is with either no battery capacity increase or a minimal increase. I've been hearing people celebrate Apple making it thicker than the 6s to include a larger battery when it's quite obvious that the battery life increase is due to the efficiency of A7 to A8, and a mild increase from A8 to A9.