FBI 'could force Apple to hand over private key'

So the DoJ has implied that the FBI could force Apple to hand over the source code for iOS unless they weaken the security of the OS.

So really it's between weakening the security and having the possibility of that certain version of iOS to fall into the wrong hands OR giving them the source code and having the risk of it leaking which is again, a huge security risk.

If Apple doesn’t comply with the court order requiring it to weaken the security on the San Bernardino shooter’s iPhone, it may be asked to hand over the source code to the entire operating system instead, the Department of Justice has implied.

Original article here on The Guardian.

I believe we may be witnessing one of the most important legal battles in our lives if this continues where I think it may go. The FBI could hardly be more blatant with what they're doing. They're bringing one of the best known and powerful tech companies into a battle where the public will be looking in their closet of skeletons.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

4 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

SNIP

yeah its really a massive thing, possibly the biggest thing to happen in tech for a while, and certainly the most prominent case regarding device security and online privacy

this is kind of the decider, 

but Apple wont back down, I just hope people can see why its important, the US Govt (and people who can benefit from this) are just trying to smear Apple as the bad guys, somehow, by trying to uphold peoples privacy and security they are branded terrorist sympathisers, disgusting

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Like other nations are any better at this point. Especially Britain which is a damn good rival (if not worse) to the U.S.. The problem is public ignorance and exploitative governments. Definitely not something limited to the U.S..

Really this case has international importance. Governments have been chipping away quietly, but the FBI brought it into the mainstream surprisingly blatantly. The precedent this case will set could change the way technology, security, and privacy progress.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

how long till the FBI brand apple as terrorst for helping the terrorst by stoping one being convicted

i get it i understand apples logic behind it with not wanting to do it but for the sake of convicting a terrorist its worth it if i mean saving lifes and help to get possible leads to more terroist then i think then need to swallow there pride build this unlock key and then patch it in there next ios update so that it wont work again

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

7 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Like other nations are any better at this point. Especially Britain which is a damn good rival (if not worse) to the U.S.. The problem is public ignorance and exploitative governments. Definitely not something limited to the U.S..

Really this case has international importance. Governments have been chipping away quietly, but the FBI brought it into the mainstream surprisingly blatantly. The precedent this case will set could change the way technology, security, and privacy progress.

straya mate. we are the best

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

2 minutes ago, Ykno said:

how long till the FBI brand apple as terrorst for helping the terrorst by stoping one being convicted

They already are

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

They already are

ah well thats fair

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

8 minutes ago, Ykno said:

i get it i understand apples logic behind it with not wanting to do it but for the sake of convicting a terrorist its worth it if i mean saving lifes and help to get possible leads to more terroist then i think then need to swallow there pride build this unlock key and then patch it in there next ios update so that it wont work again

Saying apple should put government backdoors in their phones is like telling a high-end safe-making company that they should feature a glass door on the side of their safes for the governments use. 

Its called ethics. Its not about pride. This is bigger than pride, bigger than apple, bigger than phones. This case is about our fundamental rights as citizens. We. have. a. right. to. privacy. Our information is our information.

I think you're confused. This case isn't about just one iphone. If the FBI can make apple do it once, they can get them to do it again, and again, and again, and again...

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

ah well thats fair then i agree with the FBI

WOW, please no

giving a back door the the FBI will not save anyone's lives, as soon as terrorists learn there is a back-door they will just switch to another platform, meanwhile the FBI is free abuse the system

You do not think privacy is a basic human right?

Apple are 100% in the right here

Just now, Admiral Naismith said:

Saying apple should put government backdoors in their phones is like telling a high-end safe-making company that they should feature a glass door on the side of their safes for the governments use. 

Its called ethics. Its not about pride. This is bigger than pride, bigger than apple, bigger than phones. This case is about our fundamental rights as citizens. We. have. a. right. to. privacy. Our information is our information.

But privacy won't really stand unless you look at the precedent being set.

In this case , there is no issue of privacy. The FBI had a warrant to search the phone.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

2 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

But privacy won't really stand unless you look at the precedent being set.

In this case , there is no issue of privacy. The FBI had a warrant to search the phone.

And then they (very suspiciously) locked the phone and basically stated that the whole point of this case is so they can get backdoors. This is very much a privacy issue. If they get one iphone, they can get any iphone. They know it. Apple knows it. Hence the legal battle.

1 minute ago, Admiral Naismith said:

And then they (very suspiciously) locked the phone and basically stated that the whole point of this case is so they can get backdoors. This is very much a privacy issue.

But Apple can't really argue that in court.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Just now, Nineshadow said:

But they can't really argue that in court.

Yet that's exactly what they're doing. That's why I said this is going to be a very big case if it keeps going.

1 minute ago, Nineshadow said:

But Apple can't really argue that in court.

They can, and they are fighting and refusing it, unless the US a prepared to shut down their biggest corporation

Well I generally have a disdain for Apple, their products and the people that buy them but in this case I stand by them wholeheartedly.

the FBI & the DoJ (and infact the US Govt in general, nay all Govts in general) have gotten to a point where they think they are untouchable and can go around do what they like to who they like with zero regard for the laws which they create and they enforce onto everyone else in society.

I personally love to see the FBI put on trial for all the illegal crap its pulled over the last few decades. If we are bound by their laws they why the hell are they exempt from them?

I know its only a movie but Enemy Of The State kinda called this one years ago, with great power comes great responsibility and I don't think the ones who have the power are responsible enough to warrant it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

and the people that buy them

You must hate me then :'(

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I kinda mention it here too:

Shameless plug is shameless ;)

Seriously though, another part of the war going on. I have no idea what these departments are getting at. They're being so... sloppy.

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

You must hate me then :'(

Especially you :P

Of course I was overemphasising to make a point, its upto you what you choose to use but why would you choose to buy an Apple?

Still that's a whole different topic

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This is quite a sad state we are in.  I never thought it would get to the point that westernized governments can even begin this type of process in the open.  Sure the USA has been doing stuff worse than this for over 50 years, but to have citizens actually defending this type of policy change is... wow... scary shit. 

2 hours ago, Admiral Naismith said:

I think you're confused. This case isn't about just one iphone. If the FBI can make apple do it once, they can get them to do it again, and again, and again, and again...

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

WOW, please no

giving a back door the the FBI will not save anyone's lives, as soon as terrorists learn there is a back-door they will just switch to another platform, meanwhile the FBI is free abuse the system

You do not think privacy is a basic human right?

Apple are 100% in the right here

do terriorst deserve humans rights

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Especially you :P

Of course I was overemphasising to make a point, its upto you what you choose to use but why would you choose to buy an Apple?

Still that's a whole different topic

Not going to derail the thread, but you can PM me if you care :D

back to the discussion

26 minutes ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Really this case has international importance.

i think there's nothing to do about  it,  it's ideology vs ideology from two heavy weights , problem is that both sides know the cons & pros of their side & their opponents  side  , they've both got good intentions & nobody knows who's right (precisely 'more' right) ,in which case FBI or any other sub division which have been given the task for serving a nation & protecting everyone under the nation either it's foreign & or domestic , Problem is the notion that this won't be a single copy just Feds would have , the scale will spread (since terrorism is world wide) they will share this with allied nation & quite possibly hand over to every aspect of communication just like SIGINT for live monitoring ,

The Government is a segmented body with variety of people from different backgrounds & political agendas , not all people working for it regardless of the credentials it requires is basically "good" & will use this tool only 'for the good' , one of that possible segment could be corrupt for sure & will definitely use it for some political targets & or for political reasons & target individuals , regardless of the 'arrogance' Apple is displaying they do have a point & Feds have the same point , Not all people who use iphones are 100% good as well , in short Nobody knows how to handle this.

Details separate people.