FBI 'could force Apple to hand over private key'

1 hour ago, bigneo said:

I don't understand if it is too hard for Apple to break and update that particular phone rather than push OS update with weakened security to all phones as an update to OS. Can they not just manually update that particular phone and let the FBI in to read some messages? Affecting one phone will not affect other phones, will it? Or maybe I'm missing something, I haven't read 6 pages of posts ;p

In my mind for singular situations like this, there should be cooperation from both sides.

Its very simple, would you buy a safe if the manufacturers have created a master key for it? The point of having the safe is made completely redundant by the existence of the master key as you know that anyone who knows the key can access your safe or even worse than that, they could tell everyone else how to access your safe.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

What? Apple is worth 2 or 3 times what Walmart is worth and would be considered a more prestige brand with the whole "designed in California" thing being a big statement from Apple

Oh you meant most worth and profit wise, I understood you meant as literally the biggest/largest/in terms of revenue. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Also keep in mind, that if the US is granted this right to open up any encrypted phone, then why not also the UK or Russia? Or Iran? Or China. I don't trust the US with that info but I want those other countries to have access even less. I don't like Apple but I fully support them in this case 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

On 3/15/2016 at 3:06 PM, RexinOridle said:

It's either Cantonese or Mandarin you English grammar.

Well actually the full list of Chinese languages is very much longer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_China

While the blanket term "Chinese Language" is accepted to mean either Mandarin or Cantonese (or any of the above).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language