I would like to talk to Linus

Neo0152

I love the channel and your content and the forem as well as the members but I am kinda trying to divide what to do rather buy a pre built build my own and if I do that what should I get old stuff new stuff or barely old stuff and after watching random videos and going on the forem I am completely confused and I don't know what do do and the only thing I have brought is a 1tb hard drive 

If you want building advice, you came to the right place.

Check the sticky topic in the new builds and planning section. 

Post a topic detailing you uses for the PC, the country and currency you'll be purchasing from/with and the budget you have to spend. 

I ended up getting the parts suggested to me here on LTT :)

1 hour ago, Neo0152 said:

I love the channel and your content and the forem as well as the members but I am kinda trying to divide what to do rather buy a pre built build my own and if I do that what should I get old stuff new stuff or barely old stuff and after watching random videos and going on the forem I am completely confused and I don't know what do do and the only thing I have brought is a 1tb hard drive 

the best advice can usually be found within the forums. create a topic in the related subforum and usually within the hour (depending on when topic was made) you'll get a quick answer or two. waiting to strike a conversation with Linus or Luke is very tough since their production schedules limit their forum participation to quick glances or follow-ups.

general build questions post here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

specific item inquiries here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/53-computer-hardware/

software related here: https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/54-software/

48 minutes ago, royalcrown said:

Well I want to talk to Linus too. I wish a formal review of socks and sandals vs conventional shoes, it hasn't happened yet

I second this, I really need to know if entering the world of socks and sandals is worth it in price to performance ratio and if I should use this setup as my daily driver.

Everybody wants to talk to Linus, but when fame comes you don't personally talk to the people supporting you.

i5 4460 - GTX 970 - 1TB WD Blue - 256 GB Samsung Evo SSD - NZXT H440 - 16GB DDR3 RAM

Just ask us, that's what we're here for.

If you really want to talk to Linus, @LinusTech is the best way to get him. He probably won't show up though.

1 hour ago, Lily said:

Everybody wants to talk to Linus, but when fame comes you don't personally talk to the people supporting you.

Like you said everyone wants to talk to Linus. Even if he has 240 hours a day, it won't be enough. All those questions usually are 970 or 390, which is the the best TIM, is 650w PSU enough......those answers can easily be found in the forum.

Best place to have a chat would be Intel/Kingston booth on some PAX event.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Honestly linus is not the person you should go to if you want good advice

Care to elaborate on that comment? Like why you feel he isn't qualified or maybe point this person to someone who you feel is?

@Neo0152, like a mod said, you can ask your questions here in the build sections, lots of people are gonna be happy to answer, you don't need one specific person!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I would love to sit down and have a chat with Linus as well. I really enjoy is humor, his work ethic and his family values. And this is a pretty big compliment coming from someone who is almost 50 and talking about someone in their late 20's or early 30's.

Unfortunately I doubt that will ever happen. Certainly not on a forum topic. Maybe if you IM'd him, tweeted at him or contacted via his business email. The sad truth is he simply doesn't have time, I am sure. He runs his own business which is a 24/7 thing. He doesn't get to clock out at the end of the day and go home and forget about work. It never ends for someone running their own business. So between his company and family I doubt he has a lot of free time anymore.

As for your question, your best bang for your buck would be to buy used parts if you can find good ones at a good price. The only downfall is take the risk of them failing, or being bad from the get go and not having any support. If you buy new and it fails you can RMA it in most cases.

2 hours ago, paulmohr said:

Care to elaborate on that comment? Like why you feel he isn't qualified or maybe point this person to someone who you feel is?

He is very biased towards the companies that send him stuff and isn't up to date on quite a few things.

I would ask the forum as a whole.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

19 hours ago, AlbinoTexan said:

He won't answer xD

Agree,

but I'm sure Luke will. I PM'd Linus 2x, got answer from Luke both times xD

18 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Honestly linus is not the person you should go to if you want good advice

"You can save a bit of money on the SSD by calling your friends at intel and having them send you a free retail sample (for a review). Also, buy a secondhand LGA 771 and mod it into 775. First build? Well that's a great time to spray your motherboard and go for quad GPU's on that $500 budget."

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

40 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

"You can save a bit of money on the SSD by calling your friends at intel and having them send you a free retail sample (for a review). Also, buy a secondhand LGA 771 and mod it into 775. First build? Well that's a great time to spray your motherboard and go for quad GPU's on that $500 budget."

#NailedIt

But seriously the folks in here saying to get advice on the forum are right :)

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

#NailedIt

But seriously the folks in here saying to get advice on the forum are right :)

You need to edit your Y50 review btw. Anyone buying it needs to loosen the hinge so as to avoid this.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y50-70-Touch-only-customer-review-broken-hinge-problem-buyer/td-p/1825179

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

20 hours ago, AlbinoTexan said:

He won't answer xD

He answered.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

13 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

He answered.

13 minutes ago, Ryoutarou97 said:

He answered.

Yes that's why I said he won't. So people would be like ayy Linus show this fool he's wrong. So I helped the OP. Kek

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

3 hours ago, lol1290 said:

Agree,

but I'm sure Luke will. I PM'd Linus 2x, got answer from Luke both times xD

And you didn't find it odd that Luke is reading Linus' PMs?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 hours ago, Dyelon21 said:

I second this, I really need to know if entering the world of socks and sandals is worth it in price to performance ratio and if I should use this setup as my daily driver.

It totally is :). I've been wearing them before Linus (46) and I vote yes.