NVIDIA’s VXAO (voxel based ambient occlusion) To Be Featured In Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mr_Troll

NVIDIA’s VXAO To Be Featured In Rise of the Tomb Raider

Yesterday, some press releases (including the one reported by Xbox Wire) mentioned that NVIDIA’s VXAO technology will be featured for the first time in Rise of the Tomb Raider for PC, due on January 28.It seems like NVIDIA didn’t really intend to publicly divulge this yet, which explains why only a few press releases had the information. Still, that doesn’t mean that we can’t speculate ahead of the official reveal.The name itself is already quite telling: we’re most assuredly talking about voxel based ambient occlusion here. We did some research and as it turns out, NVIDIA did talk about this technique a little, though it wasn’t labeled VXAO yet.Specifically, NVIDIA’s Alexey Panteleev (Developer Technology Engineer) talked about it as part of his speech on VXGI during the GPU Technology Conference 2015, held last March in Silicon Valley. You can find the full slides in PDF form here, and the video presentation here.

nvidia_vxao_1.jpg

According to the slide, this technique’s tracing is approximately three times cheaper than full fledged Global Illumination.The results of SSAO are not always correct. For example, when geometry comes near the screen edge or when a far objects is close to a near object in the screen space. Voxel based ambient occlusion has no such problem.

nvidia_vxao_2.jpg

That’s the extent of what is publicly available about this technique. Though of course, there’s the question of what happens now to HBAO+, NVIDIA’s prized ambient occlusion technique which was finally getting widespread adoption in games.

Great. More proprietary tech that is going to kill fps in games probably. GG

Source:http://wccftech.com/nvidias-vxao-to-be-featured-in-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-heres-what-we-know/

http://news.xbox.com/2016/01/05/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-coming-windows-store-january-28/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Everybody is going to turn it off anyways, why bother?

I used to be quite active here.

They don't own the technology, it's just a prefab in GameWorks that they gave a fancy name to. Try not to loose sleep over it.

Call me when they finally integrate real time GI.

It is real time GI it works like Ray Tracing but instead of fine traces you use area blocks so it's less hardware intensive.

This is pretty exiting I just hope Nvidia's solution is not too hardware intensive like SVOGI in UE4 was.

Cryengine just got their own version a few months ago which barely has any performance hit:

RTX2070OC 

you can see it here

its based on Asynch compute, so it should run damn fine on AMD

If it's open code, the dev can fully optimize with the help of AMD, then I have no problem with it. Especially if it's not stupidly taxing like the 64x tessellation crap that GameWorks usually presents us with.

On another note, Square Enix are fucking incompetent. Not only did they make an exclusive agreement with Microsoft for XBone, which renderes shitty sales. If they now got paid for including a proprietary closed tech, that skews the performance, then they really hit a new low. I really wish Crystal Dynamics, and the Deus Ex guys, could get free of SE. They are useless business men.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

you can see it here

https://youtu.be/IlUxKO5zYOA?list=PLY9cZ8nX4xmnbs1Nq2tnuFexj37QnXboD&t=590

its based on Asynch compute, so it should run damn fine on AMD

If it is based on Asych Compute then it should run better on AMD, because AMD has hardware support for it and doesn't have to run an emulation layer to use it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I still cannot differentiate between all types of ambient occlusion effects

All those fancy names that destroy my beloved fps

It is real time GI it works like Ray Tracing but instead of fine traces you use area blocks so it's less hardware intensive.

It's ambient occlusion based on voxels, not global illumination based on voxels. If it was any sort of global lighting solution it wouldn't be called VXAO, right? ;)

144Hz goodness

If it's open code, the dev can fully optimize with the help of AMD, then I have no problem with it. Especially if it's not stupidly taxing like the 64x tessellation crap that GameWorks usually presents us with.

On another note, Square Enix are fucking incompetent. Not only did they make an exclusive agreement with Microsoft for XBone, which renderes shitty sales. If they now got paid for including a proprietary closed tech, that skews the performance, then they really hit a new low. I really wish Crystal Dynamics, and the Deus Ex guys, could get free of SE. They are useless business men.

that video, is from a fagbox.... (read: Xbone)

Digital Foundry did their testing on the fagbox, so the video is based off of that

that video, is from a fagbox.... (read: Xbone)

Digital Foundry did their testing on the fagbox, so the video is based off of that

Can you really stop calling it that, it makes you look 12.

But if this performs well on both, then no one can complain about "muh gimpworks" for this.

Can you really stop calling it that, it makes you look 12.

But if this performs well on both, then no one can complain about "muh gimpworks" for this.

and why would i stop calling it that.

freedom of speech mate. I aint insulting you, im insulting microsoft. And honestly, if every other OS wasnt so half arsed in comparison, i wouldnt be using windows for the life of me.

freedom of speech mate. I aint insulting you, im insulting microsoft. And honestly, if every other OS wasnt so half arsed in comparison, i wouldnt be using windows for the life of me.

I'm just saying you sound 12 when you say it.  Also FYI freedom of speech doesn't exist on privately owned forums, in the future.

should be nice, more games should just throw in some more advance tech, even if its not that runnable at the moment it means the game will look better in the future, which always helps

The other guy is right, you sound ridiculous, and there isn't freedom of speech here, there is a TOS 

sexual remarks may be considered profane when used in certain contexts and as such we suggest avoiding them altogether.

Besides, what good does personally attacking an inanimate object do you? a peice of plastic and silicon can't really be a "fag" can it?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Who's ready for that slideshow FPS amirite

I believe it's called "cinematic" fps

Finally I can get a superior experience on PC.

free_speech.png

If it is based on Asych Compute then it should run better on AMD, because AMD has hardware support for it and doesn't have to run an emulation layer to use it.

Funny because the AOTS benchmarks say Nvidia still does it better anyways.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Funny because the AOTS benchmarks say Nvidia still does it better anyways.

nnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

here we go

I still don't think the difference is worth losing half my framerate or having to lower my resolution.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*