Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

They've hurt perception, but not yet sales. And the bad PR for Oculus may put the HTC Vive in a better spot when it steps up to the plate.

From a technical standpoint they are: lenses that alter the light passing through.

really....is your argument that weak?

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

They've hurt perception, but not yet sales. And the bad PR for Oculus may put the HTC Vive in a better spot when it steps up to the plate.

It'll launch at the same price or like $50 lower. Don't get your hopes up too high there.

Ye ole' train

It'll launch at the same price or like $50 lower. Don't get your hopes up too high there.

But it's a bit more advanced and they haven't promised a low price.

Does't Facebook own this company? Yeah, fuck that. I'll wait for VR Arcades instead.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I waited this long I wait another few years. I rather buy a quality monitor at that price as I would use it more often.

What has struck me is the following;

I've barely seen any people saying they'll buy it anyway, in this thread about 4, with a huge number of people saying they wont buy it.

I've also been on another tech-website (Tweakers) and I've only seen about 10 people who said they'd buy it.

It's not like the typical "You guys are complaining ima buy it anyway" - really only a few people do that.

I predict a bad start for VR... sadly.

I am an student, and i think it is expensive, but I am still going to buy VR, dont know if its going to be rift or vive tho, I will wait to both are out.

for most people, its not how much something cost that is the maint thing, its the how much tey want/need it compared to the price. its possible to prioritize some stuff over others. Like I do not buy food or candy or stuff myself, I just take with me food fro home. the reason is that I dont think buying stuff in the store next to my school or in the cafeteria is worth the price. 

Like I think  a oculus rift is worth more than 100-150 days of school cafeteria lunch instead of bringing food from home (like leaft overs that I can heat in microwave), both cost 750€.

EVERYTHING when it comes to pay for stuff, come to what you preoritize. as long as your income isnt 0.

btw I live in Norway

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

CMON Valve  save us with the Vive sell it at a loss for 350USD and go for the throat

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

CMON Valve  save us with the Vive sell it at a loss for 350USD and go for the throat

I'd be very happy if they just went 500USD.

If it were around $399 I would get one, if it can replace a monitor in games, then it should cost about the same, maybe a touch more.

It's not too much for myself. Still, I couldn't be bothered to purchase a product that wouldn't see much use.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I think its funny how on this forumand like pc gamer like 10% say that they will buy one, but on the comments on one of the biggest, if not the biggest Norwegian tech news site, like 40% say that they have pre ordered one, or plan to buy it later.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

So there's a supposed "leak" of Sony PSVR price on Amazon for 800$ ........ wut? So 600$ for Oculus is no longer "high"? Source: NCIX Tech Tip's new video:

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

BTW @Arcanekitten in Europe it's 700 euros + shipping, or at least it is in Italy

well fck, i just put in 600 dollars into the a currency changer and it came on to that also forgot in the first post to mention its ex. tax.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

This is funny, Oculus system requirement check says Im not Rift ready and that I should order/build another PC.

That's cool Oculus, Im building a X99 rig next month as my new daily driver, but Im still going to use this X79 rig for you're Rift :P.

Fix your system requirement check software, Oculus!!

P.S. The Rift at $600 is fine with me, I liked it better when the rumor was that it was going to be $350, but hey, the price is what it is. If it would have been at $350 though, I would have ended up buying 2 of em.

E90nUu8h.jpg

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

This is funny, Oculus system requirement check says Im not Rift ready and that I should order/build another PC.

That's cool Oculus, Im building a X99 rig next month as my new daily driver, but Im still going to use this X79 rig for you're Rift :P.

Fix your system requirement check software, Oculus!!

Yeah but, like, 4 is bigger than 3, so your system is clearly too weak. :P

I do agree with its opinion about Asmedia controllers though. Native is better.

I do agree with its opinion about Asmedia controllers though. Native is better.

I agree, I hate the Asmedia controller on my ASUS X79 deluxe board, it never seams to work properly.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I don't think it's too expensive. It's a lot of kit with a lot of R&D behind it. The problem is that they said it would be cheaper and people feel misled.

The rift seems like a good piece of hardware but for me the HTC Vive is where it's at since it can do everything the Rift does and more. Based on my research so far that's what I am going for. It also has a front camera to see the outside world or your keyboard at the touch of a button without taking off  the headset. Helps make it more sociable and convenient. Add to that Valve has ensured cross-platform OS support on Linux, Mac OSX ,Windows. And they are pushing for an industry standard API for VR. Plus they have done great R&D and managed to eliminate the motion sickness problem.

Hope u all seen this, its hillarious :D

haha

"I love virtual reality because my actual reality is shit"

LOL, 

I think the price is not surprising.  

Got my order in early.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

JUNE 2016.

Depending on how it goes with the vive you can probably get that sooner than that...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

The $599 USD price is high and certainly puts it out of reach for a lot of people.  BUT - I still think it is a really good deal.  Consider what you get for the money:

- Dual high refresh rate OLED displays

- High precision/low latency motion tracking

- Very high quality materials for fit and finish

- Bundled controller, remote, and games

- More than 3 years of R&D to make it happen

- A VR experience that is really amazing (I tried it at E3 2015, and yes it was amazing)

So for the price, I think it is a really good deal.  Incredible actually.  I feel bad for those who simply can't afford it, but early adopters will help support the industry to drive down prices.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

- Bundled controller, remote, and games

A lot of people didn't want or need those things though. The Xbox One controller in particular. Of course it's not what makes a big difference to the price, but it all counts somewhere.

A lot of people didn't want or need those things though. The Xbox One controller in particular. Of course it's not what makes a big difference to the price, but it all counts somewhere.

Yeah, I can see why some people are upset about those items - though Oculus did say those were included more as a value added bonus.  The idea being that developers can count on everyone having a controller - something that will be necessary for some games.  It's a strategic move that I think is very smart.  

Really, the bulk of the cost is probably in those dual OLED displays.

Even at $599 I doubt we are paying the full cost of the headset.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Yeah, I can see why some people are upset about those items - though Oculus did say those were included more as a value added bonus.  The idea being that developers can count on everyone having a controller - something that will be necessary for some games.  It's a strategic move that I think is very smart.  

Really, the bulk of the cost is probably in those dual OLED displays.

Even at $599 I doubt we are paying the full cost of the headset.

Arguably, the people who actually have the most interest in Oculus Rift, probably have their own controllers. So most people look at the items that comes with it and determine that having more of them is completely unnecessary. I'm sure without some of those added stuff, the rift would've been at a reasonable individual price of $450-525. Don't think it would be any less due to the much better specs when you compare to the DK2.