Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

Yesterday (GMT) January 5th Oculus released a video were they announced the next day january 6th at 17:00 CET the Oculus pre-orders would be launching.

And a day later (Today) the pre-orders have gone live !

The rift comes bundled with EVE: Valkyrie and Lucky's tale

and also comes with a Xbox one controller, small (removable) headset , A sensor for movement,Cables Oculus remote and the Oculus rift ofcourse ;)

Note: Oculus will release the Oculus touch controllers at a later date.

The Oculus rift has a 2160 X 1200 OLED screen with room for glasses in the headset.

The Oculus rift is expected to ship in March 2016

and the price is 600$ Dollars or region equivalent + tax.

and not to mention that these prices are without tax and shipping.

Recommended Specifications: 

AMD R9 290 / Nvidia GTX 970

Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater

8GB of Ram

A HDMI 1.3 Video output

3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 ports (lol)

WIndows 7 SP1 64 BIT or newer

These specs oculus says will run the oculus rift without problems and said these specifications will "never" change.

EDIT 1: Since the oculus pre-order got availeble a lot of people have ordered it and now the expected ship date has being increased to June 2016.

Source: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

For lols: http://bit.ly/1ZNOiXk

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

yikes I was gonna buy one originally but it's out of my price range atm...and 600$ is way more than I thought it would cost

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

source: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

COwve58.png

JR0uAVL.png

knowing you need a pretty powerful system to drive this thing .. oh boy

nah, I won't bet on VR succeeding, not in this decade - it will become the afterthought SONY's 3D has become

---

the minimum recommended system build price starts at ~950$

CYDKJqRWsAAIBZ9.png

That's way more than I expected. I was looking at $400-$500. If this is that much then I'm scared for the HTC Vive. I thought oculus said they'd make it affordable. I should have backed for a dev kit. It was half this price and we get a free one.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

£500?!  :o

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

It's £500!  :o

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

$850 Canadian is too steep for me to justify an order without reviews first. Bummer.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

That's way more than I expected. I was looking at $400-$500. If this is that much then I'm scared for the HTC Vive. I thought oculus said they'd make it affordable. I should have backed for a dev kit. It was half this price and we get a free one.

Oculus said it would EVENTUALLY be affordable.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

holy shit, that`s expensive as fuck, I don`t see any reason why a couple of small features would make it THAT expensive

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Looks like this video just became relevant again:

But seriously, HTC/Valve would be foolish to at least not try to undercut that price.

wow, xD

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Was definitely planning on buying one, but for $600... No thanks........ 

PC Rig: Intel i7 4790k CPU, 2x Sapphire R9 290 Graphics, MSI Gaming 7 Z97 MB, 8GB DDR3 2133Mhz G-skill ripjaws, RAID0 2x Crucial 500GB MX500 SSD, RAID1 2x 1TB WD Black HDD, Corsair RM1000W Gold PSU, Noctua NHD14, Corsair 750D Case.

Oculus said it would EVENTUALLY be affordable.

I just don't understand why it's so expensive. It doesn't seem like a whole lot. Dk2 was like $350 right? Not a whole lot has changed as far as I'm aware.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

People are willing to pay that much money for smartphones, so if you think of it that way... it's not that crazy.
And a few years from now this price will come down.

However, too much for me right now considering I'd need a PC upgrade as well to even use the thing.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

holy shit, that`s expensive as fuck, I don`t see any reason why a couple of small features would make it THAT expensive

R&D costs I guess?

The thing has been in development for a hell of a long time.

I just don't understand why it's so expensive. It doesn't seem like a whole lot. Dk2 was like $350 right? Not a whole lot has changed as far as I'm aware.

Cos you know, development kits are always cheaper to help production and development of software.  Has been true for everything ever IMHO.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It's too early to tell how things will progress given that VR is going to be having its starting run this year (and will most probably start a new trend in how games are made)

We'll have to wait for competitors to judge whether it's worth it or not.

With this price, I'm very scared VR will fail. I was very optimistic for VR but God, who the hell is going to pay for this. AAA VR games will have trouble even turning a profit.

Here in Italy it's 700 euros. Yeah, not happening. I'm not convinced it's overpriced, simply because I have nothing to compare it against, but it's definitely more money than I'm willing to spend on it. Maybe gen 2.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People are willing to pay that much money for smartphones, so if you think of it that way... it's not that crazy.

And a few years from now this price will come down.

However, too much for me right now considering I'd need a PC upgrade as well to even use the thing.

you shouldn't compare the price of a device with the price of a peripheral. not to mention a lot of people get a phone on contract not upfront. this is very expensive for a supposed consumer product.

source: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/

COwve58.png

JR0uAVL.png

knowing you need a pretty powerful system to drive this thing .. oh boy

nah, I won't bet on VR succeeding, not in this decade - it will become the afterthought SONY's 3D has become

---

the minimum recommended system build price starts at ~950$

290s are dirt cheap now though

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*