Oculus Rift Consumer Edition Pre-Order now Live!

Arcanekitten

But when it does come, the price shouldn't go much beyond the $350 cost of the DK2. "We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range," co-founder Nate Mitchell said. "That could slide in either direction depending on scale, pre-orders, the components we end up using, business negotiations..."

Guess they weren't able to do what Nate said.

If they get rid of the controller that would bring ot down to $489 if they were to remove the headset it would bring it down again to $439 usd :/

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I got one it's a combined birthday and Christmas present for this year, if it turns out the HTC vive is cheaper or a similar price and comes with something like a portal or half life game I'll get that instead, you don't get charged until March so it's all good.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

few things they would have been better off doing.

1- no headphones, ppl usualy have their own and better quality, then they wouldn't need the remote, money saved on cost.

2- no body like VR with Xbox controller, and if they need it they can buy it, or buy oculus touch, saved money on pre-order, and benefited from accesory sale.

3- no free games, ppl who need them will buy them, just add a demo of something, money saved on pre-order.

with these simple things they could have set the pre-order around 400, and still make money on accessory

I don't really understand what you can use it for.  I'd be down just for buying some monitors that I can have 3" from my eyeballs (movie watching on a plane anyone?), but doesn't seem like it's for that...

Check out Elite Dangerous or star citizen in vr :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Don't really understand all the hate. The only thing I have to disagree with this is the name of the product and forced inclusion of all these accessories and peripherals. This "Consumer Version" is supposed to have much higher specs than both the Development Kits. In my opinion, this is pretty much more like a DK3 rather than a CV. I would think the CV should be more similar to the DK2 rather than much better.

What the fuck is that price tag? That's literally double what I originally thought it was going to cost. When I started hearing reports of $350-400, I was still willing to move some money around to make it happen. But to ask 600 dollars at the last second is not even close reasonable. Hell, they might have even been able to push me to $450, but this is just ridiculous. I thought Facebook was supposed to help Oculus significantly cut production costs and that they were going to sell them with very little profit in an attempt to kickstart the VR market. I guess I'll be waiting until 2020 or whenever the hell VR actually becomes affordable. Oculus Rift seems a lot more like Ridiculous Rift TBH.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

They fucking know the price is bullshit aswell. You can't even see the total costs until after you've filled in all of your credentials and filled in your creditcard details etc.

699 euro without TAX and shipping. So for me that's ~900 euro's. 

I'm estimating though, because you can't see the total checkout until AFTER you've given them your creditcard information and billing adress. Which is total BS, and just shows how much they know it's BS. It's the age-old foot-in-the-door-technique. Less likely to cancel if you've already put in effort.

Can't shake off the idea that they fucked it up. 

If they were going for early adopters stage of developement then why their Wiimote is not bundled? 

If early majority - why did they not cut costs everywhere they could to make it <400USD ?

740€ in france... no thanks.  :lol:

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.

850$ CAD yeah no.

People are willing to pay that much money for smartphones, so if you think of it that way... it's not that crazy.

And a few years from now this price will come down.

However, too much for me right now considering I'd need a PC upgrade as well to even use the thing.

But you can use your smartphone to make calls, send sms, as a gps, to listen to music, to watch videos, etc.

Without a PC, this headset doesnt do anything. and it has to be plugged in (at least from memory) 600$ is too expensive for a pair of headphones and a smartphone screen.

Got any other citation? 

Nope, there was something after FB acquisition but I don't have time or don't want to research.

Yeah, he's not trustworthy but he's doing PR for Oculus so this is the best we can get officialy.

As for the rest of your statement , I'm more for the first explanation. 

welp. there goes my guestimate. Was expecting around 300 - 399.

I was expecting around that price but it's still too high, at least for me it is. But I was never hyped for the Oculus so meh

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I can get a 390x and a 1080p 144hz monitor with freesync for that price.

I am super disappointed at the price

I mean sure its the same price as a high end monitor, which I guess is reasonably expected , but Oculus from the beginning was about starting a VR revolution and making it accessible

Without accessibility VR will remain a gimmick, it needs to be in the hands of every gamer

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Considering I'd need to upgrade to a 980Ti/Whatever Pascal comes with as well to properly utilize it in the first place this price is way too steep for me. But it's too early to call it overpriced.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Hmm. I'm gonna wait till it comes out. Then probably buy it. I really wan't virtual desktops with it. I think it would be a perfect development environment. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Nope, they said:

"our goal is to deliver the highest quality virtual reality experience at a price that all gamers (and their parents) can afford."

and

"We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range."

Got any other citation? Palmer is not exactly that trustworthy. I mean just look at the tweet. He said a 10% discount was too unrealistic and now they are giving it away for free instead.

My guess is that the DK1 was about 300 dollars or less to make. Even that's being generous. The entire PS4 costs something like 350 dollars to make, and that includes far more components, and more expensive ones as well.

There are only two explanations for this high price.

1) Oculus are getting ripped off and are paying out the ass for all the useless stuff they are bundling it with.

2) They are very greedy and want high profit margins.

In either case they did a complete 180 on plenty of their previous statements. I am surprised that so many people are okay with being spat in the face like this.

it's not that he is not trust worthy, but he simply doesnt call the shots anymore, when you are bought by a company like facebook, their goal is simple profit, quick analyse of the situation shows that oculus started by gamers for gamers " hence all the crap that palmer said before the aquisition" , but VR in gaming require alot of R&D, alot of features, and usualy faster evolution, because software will keep pushing the boundries, needs high install base, etc..and for the latter it needs a competitive pricing, to be affordable to the masses.

that's good and all, but facebook sees it differently, the applications regular entertainement like movies, or social, etc... doesn't require that much R&D, or complicated features, and have slower evolution, and price wont be an issue if sold as a luxury product.

medical, military, professional sector, they can sell it with whatever price they like, it basicaly pays for it's own R&D, and can costume make them.

so why would they go through hoops, when they can make more money elsewhere, they didnt even bother to finish the controller, because it's mainly used for gaming.

again the market target changed, if you are a gamer, wait for Vive, valve will have a different take on it, they are focused on gaming, because everything works for them, they can sell it at a slight loss not even cost, and would still be ok for them, because they will benefit from software sale on steam platform, that will benefit, their API and SteamOS, and tighten their grip on PC gaming.

Thanks facebook....

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

they are not selling at cost, ppl still use information from palmer before facebook...the price of the dev kit didnt ddouble because of R&D, employee, manufacturing....price doubled because the target changed, they focused on ergonomy, rather than features, oculus is selling them expensive, because gamers or entertainement are not their primary target anymore, that's the price of the aquisition by facebook.

i heard conferences before and after facebook, the change is clear, one was talking about making this in the hand of everyone, the 2nd was talking about material quality used for the headset, the good news here, is Valve might just do what the PS4 did to XBone, and this pre-order price gives an opportunity for valve to grab the gamers, all they need to do is launch it at 450-499$

DK2 did not have the same level of engineering that CV1 has  (egonomics, audio, better sensors/parts, better display)

I have to agree with what TotalBiscuit said, basically look at the CV1 has a high end display. (Gsync swift is $700, and people pay $1000+ for giant tvs etc)

Guess I am one of the few here that actually thinks the price is reasonable. I also often think people are a little disconnected about the actual cost of R&D of any technology. From an engineering perspective, a 40% increase from an initial cost estimate is commonplace. Factors such as change in scope, current market, development cost increases, and the significant growth of VR since initial development all play into it. It's also important to understand that manufacture cost is not related to development cost. Something may cost $300 to manufacture, but development cost per unit may be 2 or 3 times that cost (at a minimum).

i really dont get why people  are bitching other than "i wanted one but now it costs more than i can afford"....its the same price as the preditor???? the 1440p 144hz gsync ips panel, given that this comes with headphones, controllers games and is brand new tech its about on par.

at £500 i wont get one till it comes down or if it is still around after i upgrade everything else i want to upgrade (said monitor, i7, second 970/980ti)

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Guess I am one of the few here that actually thinks the price is reasonable. I also often think people are a little disconnected about the actual cost of R&D of any technology. From an engineering perspective, a 40% increase from an initial cost estimate is commonplace. Factors such as change in scope, current market, development cost increases, and the significant growth of VR since initial development all play into it. It's also important to understand that manufacture cost is not related to development cost. Something may cost $300 to manufacture, but development cost per unit may be 2 or 3 times that cost (at a minimum).

40% increase sure, but this is a 100% increase.

A 40% increase would have been 420 bucks, which I'd have been fine with. I was expecting 450-500 after Luckey indicated the price would be "a little higher" than what they had aimed for.

i really dont get why people  are bitching other than "i wanted one but now it costs more than i can afford"....its the same price as the preditor???? the 1440p 144hz gsync ips panel, given that this comes with headphones, controllers games and is brand new tech its about on par.

But most people don't want the extraneous headphones, controllers, or games. And Oculus spent so much time talking about how they were aiming for a 300 dollar price tag and making this affordable to gamers or their parents.

at £500 i wont get one till it comes down or if it is still around after i upgrade everything else i want to upgrade (said monitor, i7, second 970/980ti)

because a developper doesn't make a game for how many ppl own a 1440p 144hz GSYNC monitor, or how many ppl own a 980Ti, because no developper would make software for 100 thousand prospect, that's why it's annoying, this tech will take ages to take off this way, and devs wont start rushing to it untill they get couple dozen million units sold.

how long do you think that would take with close to 800€ price tag in europe